SOM TAM - new Thai action comedy with Nathan Jones

udar55

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nathan Jones is actually a pretty decent martial artist. I saw him compete in a K-1 tournament a decade ago. He hit his opponent so hard with muay thai kicks to the legs that his opponent's legs were all black, blue, and red!!!

His spin kick is pretty vicious. In his WWE tenure, he nearly knocked out the Big Show with a spin kick to the head. (I know wrestling is choreographed and all that, but he nearly took that big guy's head off!..I think he took it a little too powerful)

It is awesome that Born to Fight's Sasisa Jindamanee is in the movie too (the little muay thai girl). I felt she didn't get enough action in BTF, but it looks like she does a lot more here. The gang leader who beats up Nathan in the beginning of the trailer is Panna Rittikrai Team stunt coordinator Banlu Srisaeng.

lightning hopkins

Finally had a chance to catch this after picking up a DVD copy in the Kingdom, and as AlbertV said, was really impressed by Sasisa Jindamanee's standout performance in all her action sequences, which saved the film from being just another marginally entertaining one-joke comedy.

Having Panna Rittikrai as action choreographer surely didn't hurt, of course -- he's able to even make great use of Nathan Jones' wrestling skills in a number of bruising-looking moves in the film. Sasisa has all the most memorable moments, though, particularly her extended brawl with a bunch of thugs at a papaya vendor's stand -- tropical fruits as weapons, anyone? -- and she shows as much promise here as Jeeja did in "Chocolate," as well as better acting chops. I look forward to more from her in the coming years as she and her skills mature -- indeed, I wouldn't be suprised to see her soon surpass Jeeja as the real Thai female action star.

The street vendor is Kessarin from "Born To Fight" & "Chai Lai"...she should be doing more projects...has the looks and the moves

• Administrator
OK where is the trailer didn't see it there?

Same here. But once I was at YouTube I typed in the title, hit seek, and there was the trailer.

It looks like a goofy good time. Definitely going to check this out.

Udar55- thanks for posting this. I'd never heard of it.

The street vendor is Kessarin from "Born To Fight" & "Chai Lai"...she should be doing more projects...has the looks and the moves

Yeah, she is a Thai national champion in Tae Kwon Do and had a great short but sweet fight scene in Born to Fight IMO (against the psycho female terrorist)

my biggest concern with Som tam and sadly so much Thai martial arts cinema at the moment, is that they have people doing some great stuff, but a lot of the time the camerawork seems to be doing neither the fighters or the choreography a favour....Som Tam mad fun, imagine a Terrence Hill/Bud Spencer kind of movie with Nathan in fine form, the kids being cool, and a posse of highly skilled wrestlers/action actors including Conan Stevens, Tom Howard, matt Wiese, & Sylvester Terkay taking on Nathan...and any movie with Kessarin kicking ass while clad in denim shorts gets my vote!

• Administrator

Hey guys, I did a search for this to get it, but couldn't find it anywhere. Is it in theaters? If not, where can I get it? Thanks.

my biggest concern with Som tam and sadly so much Thai martial arts cinema at the moment, is that they have people doing some great stuff, but a lot of the time the camerawork seems to be doing neither the fighters or the choreography a favour

I agree with you on that one! I felt that way about DYNAMITE WARRIOR and MERCURY MAN as well. The editing in DYNAMITE WARRIOR practically ruined every fight scene as they cut before each hit.

Archived