Ninja In the Dragon's Den (HKL)

oldeschool17

oldeschool17

This film has some great action scenes. It was good to see a decent hk and japanese collaboration without making it seem one side was better than the other. I gotta ask about this print though. Why is it cropped? I only noticed it during the intro when the text comes in and when Conan Lee and his uncle are by the rocks talking. Otherwise, i thought this disc was great.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Films are very seldom transferred at full ratio AFAIK.

It's also allegedly cut, but I don't know much about it.

"You ugly stinkin' scum fucker!" :D.

Chinatown Kid

I love this film, great performances by Conan Lee and Henry Sanada. It was nice to see the contrast of Japanese vs Chinese styles as well, too bad Hwang Jang Lee wasn't used to his full potential as his short fight turned rather silly at the end. I liked Conan Lee, he was great in this and Tiger on Beat but I heard he got the big head after getting some fame and turned arrogant. Guess that put a halt to his career because filmakers didn't want to work with him because of his difficult attitude.

Morgoth Bauglir

Ng See Yuen says in the interview that some guys wanted Conan Lee to be in their movie, and when Ng said "no, not at this time", he almost got beaten to death. That couldn't have helped out Conan's career. To me he sounds like he was the Terell Owens of the kung fu movie industry. And Bey Logan rips him on the Tiger on the Beat commentary because Conan wanted a bunch of money to be interviewed.

Killer Meteor
This film has some great action scenes. It was good to see a decent hk and japanese collaboration without making it seem one side was better than the other. I gotta ask about this print though. Why is it cropped? I only noticed it during the intro when the text comes in and when Conan Lee and his uncle are by the rocks talking. Otherwise, i thought this disc was great.

Could be your TVs overscan?

oldeschool17
Could be your TVs overscan?

Could very well be. Is there a way to auto adjust that or do i have to manually fix that each time i watch a flic? Also, how would you adjust that;)

MasterDrunk

Great film,another great Hkl disc.As Ng See-Yuen says on the extras Conan got a bit big for his boots.Role suited him playing a big head,as his acting looked a bit lame playing the straight guy in tiger,looked like he'd od'd on steroids ! by then.

when martial artists ask me who taught me my kung fu, i laugh and tell them

'Me I taught the instructor who taught your father{instructor}' Conan Lee {NITDD}

Just to add to that Amazon UK are selling the Hkl version for a knockdown price of £4 / $8 ish

Everything was great about this movie, especially the intro music. That ninja song is one catchy tune. It was great to finally throw away my old vhs and watch it in all its remastered glory. A great old skool and ninja classic.

theportlykicker
too bad Hwang Jang Lee wasn't used to his full potential as his short fight turned rather silly at the end.

I think it's one of HJL's best ever performances, personally. His kicks look way sharper than usual. Short, but oh so sweet

Archived