Chocolate / ช็อคโกแลต (2008)

Guest WongFury

make believe
I just watched the UK version by Showbox Media

If you were wondering about the "mansion" scene where Jeeja is wearing a colorful skirt and doing a jump kick, its under the deleted scenes. Out of all of the deleted scenes, it was the most interesting, but I'm not disappointed that it was cut. The entire scene that leads up to that kick and what happens after it is pretty brutal. The other scenes are very brutal and I'm glad they were cut.

Damn, if you say they are brutal I am guessing they should have left them in then. What were they like?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingofkungfu2002

• daisho2004

• The Running Man

• SiamKnight

Guest WuxiaFan
Damn, if you say they are brutal I am guessing they should have left them in then. What were they like?

Let me clarify - 2 out of the 6 deleted scenes cut I would call brutual. One deleted scene called "another reminder" was basically Zin (Mother) getting beat up by the gang in front of Zen (Jeeja). I for one don't like watching a woman get gratuitously beat up. We got the picture with the "first reminder" scene where she gets her toe cut off - that's hard enough to watch. :cry:

The other scene is the "mansion scene." This was someone that Zen and Moom were going to see to collect money from. He thought Zen was a hooker and tried to start in on her. Moom got Zen's attention to what he was trying to do and then she didn't let it happen. They escaped, but then real hookers showed up. The guy was so pissed that he started to beat up the hooker and then just shot her. :o

They should have just made her watch a Bruce Li/Le movie... ;)

The first ever trailer for this movie had her watching Bruce Lee movies and you could hear his battle cries, game of death scenes, etc. When the movie was released they had her watching Tony Jaa movies. FYI, maybe copyright or whatever, but the references were there.

As someone said, they are definitely onto something,

both references are in the movie.

the version i have only has Tony Jaa being heard and seen on the TV.

the trailer has the game of death soundtrack with Lee's battle cries.

My second cousin gave me a copy of the DVD. He thought I would like the movie and I did. I watched it with my wife, who is not usually huge on martial arts films. However, after watching it, she said it was one of the best martial arts films she has watched. She also liked The Forbidden Kingdom, but hearing that she liked a film like Chocolate just astounded me. :yociexp31:

I told her about Raging Phoenix and she has a little interest in seeing it when it comes out on DVD. So we'll see what happens...

They should have just made her watch a Bruce Li/Le movie... ;)

Then she would have got her a$$ whupped and that's the end of her movie... and her career!

:xd:

Really enjoyed this movie a lot. The fight scenes were a little different from most other martial arts movies. The ending was especially fun with the crazy spastic monkey looking dude with the glasses. I look forward to seeing what this lady can do in future titles.

All right, I'm WAY behind the times as far as modern martial arts movies go---I'm so geared towards old-school stuff I just don't bother with too much of the new stuff. Anyways, I saw some clips of this on youtube, and just picked it up and watched it. I have not seen any other Thai stuff---Ong Bak, The Protector, etc., other than brief clips. But as far as Chocolate goes, I LOVED THIS MOVIE! There was (almost) no undercranking, no stunt doubles and no wires---that's my kind of martial arts movie! I also loved the storyline--very unique, and I really cared about the characters. And, I loved the way the fight scenes progressed throughout the film from "yeah, it's okay", to "pretty good", to "wow!", to "Holy Sh**!" To me, she immediately jumps to the top tier of female screen fighters. I know we all have our different likes and dislikes as far as martial arts movies here, but this one hit all the right notes for me.

I see Cine Asia in the UK have got the rights to her latest film Raging Phoenix.

Has anyone seen this yet, there must be a dvd due soon.

www.dvdasia.co.uk....Asian dvds and blu-rays from around the world

Guest WuxiaFan
All right, I'm WAY behind the times as far as modern martial arts movies go---I'm so geared towards old-school stuff I just don't bother with too much of the new stuff. Anyways, I saw some clips of this on youtube, and just picked it up and watched it. I have not seen any other Thai stuff---Ong Bak, The Protector, etc., other than brief clips. But as far as Chocolate goes, I LOVED THIS MOVIE! There was (almost) no undercranking, no stunt doubles and no wires---that's my kind of martial arts movie! I also loved the storyline--very unique, and I really cared about the characters. And, I loved the way the fight scenes progressed throughout the film from "yeah, it's okay", to "pretty good", to "wow!", to "Holy Sh**!" To me, she immediately jumps to the top tier of female screen fighters. I know we all have our different likes and dislikes as far as martial arts movies here, but this one hit all the right notes for me.

KyFi - welcome in! :smile:

Just been reading that they're making a Chocolate 2.

That's just awesome! :bigsmile:

I see Cine Asia in the UK have got the rights to her latest film Raging Phoenix. Has anyone seen this yet, there must be a dvd due soon.

Cine Asia's release of CHOCOLATE is awesome, so expecting them to follow suit with RAGING PHOENIX.

Just been reading that they're making a Chocolate 2.

Yeah, according to http://jeejaclub.site40.net/, Jeeja already has 3 films lined up at the moment.

In order of filming: Ta-Beng-Man, Chocolate 2, and then a Chinese movie.

It's great to see that her career is continuing to grow and that she's getting opportunities. Even just from what I can see here in the U.S., I've noticed a lot of people are discovering her just from Chocolate.

To me, she immediately jumps to the top tier of female screen fighters. I know we all have our different likes and dislikes as far as martial arts movies here, but this one hit all the right notes for me.

To be fair, it's not like she has any major competition.

To be fair, it's not like she has any major competition.

Oh, I meant to say "top tier" of all time---I'd put her up there with Cheng Pei Pei, Mao Ying, Hui Ying Hung, Michelle Yeoh.

After someone compared this to Ong Bak 2 I figured I need to check it out, um kind of like a watered down Ong Bak 1, Jeena was impressive but the fights just seemed clunky, and nothing really ever got better past the first fight.

Then there was the turrets kid or whatever was his deal, it just got on my nerves. Not a bad first film for Jeena though, some cute parts in there, needless to say the Thai stuntmen earn their money.

Guest WuxiaFan
After someone compared this to Ong Bak 2 I figured I need to check it out, um kind of like a watered down Ong Bak 1, Jeena was impressive but the fights just seemed clunky, and nothing really ever got better past the first fight.

Then there was the turrets kid or whatever was his deal, it just got on my nerves. Not a bad first film for Jeena though, some cute parts in there, needless to say the Thai stuntmen earn their money.

:yociexp44:

Wow Tosh! Maybe you should check it out again. I would not expect Jeeja to be as good as Jaa in OB1, so I didn't consider it to be a watered down version. I thought the storyline was very good and "outside the box" with the autism angle to it, although some parts of it were stretching it. As far as the fights go, I couldn't disagree with you more! :squigglemouth: I thought the ice-house fight was awesome to start off with, then I thought they got better as the movie went along! Especially the butcher shop and the warehouse scenes! If you watch the special features (on the UK version), you'll see all the injuries that the Thai stunt team endured. So, agree with you on that point, but would also add that Jeeja earned her money too!

So, c'mon Tosh! Get with the program!

:yociexp91:

(just kidding) :wink:

See people have to stop comparing her movie to Tony Jaa's there totally different yes she is doing Muay Thai in the film, but it was original also. I enjoyed Chocolate very much. But I heard her new movie is whacked! Still want to see it for myself before I can judge it.