Chocolate / ช็อคโกแลต (2008)

Guest WongFury

I finally picked up this DVD and watched it tonight. Really enjoyed it. She's not quite Tony Jaa, but very skilled and promising. I'd like to see a sequel in Tokyo or Hong Kong. The ending was a little Kill Bill-ish, but I liked her using the katana sheaths as weapons, and the tracksuit-clad sub-boss fight.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingofkungfu2002

• daisho2004

• The Running Man

• SiamKnight

I watched this movie last night. I found it entertaining. I thought it had a slow start. The fight scened were sweet and the girl is sexy. I thought the best fight was the tard vs tard (not trying to be pc). Im surprised she ended up going with her dad and that he didnt take Moom with Zen.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I find the word 'tard' completely offensive.....!!!!! Naaaah, just yankin' ya':)

I was tired of the 'Thai style' when I watched this, so I will have to revisit it, further down the road!

The UK dvd is uncut i.e. the same as the version released in Thailand.

As stated before there was references to Bruce Lee in the original cut but very little in the released print because of rights costs etc.

I can recommend the UK DVD Completely.

CHOCOLATE UK DVD CHEAP!

Guest Yi-Long

But if the UK version is the same version as the Thai version, why does IMDB.com list the UK version as 92 minutes long, and the Thai version as 110 minutes!?

On the contrary, Jeeja Yanin is an experienced taekwondo stylist :)

I thought her kicks looked much more real than Yeoh's. Michelle Yeoh's fighting looks good on screen but it looks like there is not much power behind her moves (not putting her down though).

Saw Chocolate on the big screen last night. Its about what I expected, but it was a lot of fun to see in the theater. Suprisingly the theater was almost full, pretty good for 10:35 on a Monday night.

The one think about these Thai movies is that they just seem like an excuse for action scenes. Also it seems the main character in these movies always has the agility and abilty of Jackie Chan or Yuen Biao AND the unstoppable badd-assedness of Bruce Lee. This one does pay homage to both of those, there is a scene in an ice factory where Zen mimics Bruce Lee. Another scene where she takes on some bad guys with a set of lockers reminded me of a similar scene in Rumble in the Bronx. Also as Jackie did with most of his post Cannonball Run movies we get some outtakes as the credits roll. We get a peek at actors taking real hits and one scene where a stuntman is carted off in a neckbrace after a nasty fall.

There were some great stunts, even some pretty funny parts, lots of fun if you're ready to shut off your brain and not worry about how plausable any of the set ups to the fights are.

Guest WuxiaFan
But if the UK version is the same version as the Thai version, why does IMDB.com list the UK version as 92 minutes long, and the Thai version as 110 minutes!?

Yi-Long,

The running time difference is probably the PAL speedup. The Thai disc is NTSC.

After I saw that the Magnolia version was essentially a bare-bones DVD, I ordered the UK version from amazon.co.uk. They have it for very cheap (at least in USD).

Guest Yi-Long
Yi-Long,

After I saw that the Magnolia version was essentially a bare-bones DVD, I ordered the UK version from amazon.co.uk. They have it for very cheap (at least in USD).

I'll probably order it soon, although I might go for the BluRay :)

Yi-Long,

PAL would not account for 18 minutes. PAL speed up is only 4%, which of a 110 minutes movie would be around 5 minutes.

That said, the only version I've ever heard of is around 90 minutes.

Morgoth Bauglir

I just saw this movie and I liked it A LOT. The wires bugged me a bit, but the only thing that really bugged me in this movie was when Jeeja is about to kick some ass, and she is picturing Tony Jaa in her mind, but then she does a Bruce Lee impersonation. The impersonation was awesome, but there should have been some sort of setup to it, like showing a clip of Bruce Lee (duh!).

Edit, I just read on this thread that Bruce and Jackie were cut out of the movie because of licensing. I wonder if they were just too cheap to pay to use Bruce Lee footage.

Edit, I just read on this thread that Bruce and Jackie were cut out of the movie because of licensing. I wonder if they were just too cheap to pay to use Bruce Lee footage.

... or the producers simply didn't have enough money in their allotted budget to acquire the worldwide license to feature the likeness of Lee. regardless, many people picked up on the homage and, as such, the film didn't need the secondary reference.

• Administrator

It is a shame that the BL and JC scenes were cut out, because that helps her fights make more sense- in a fun, nonsense plot sort of way! ;)

I was really happy with Magnolia's 2 disc DVD release of THE HOST, and was hoping for more of that "special features magic" for CHOCOLATE. What a disappointment. After getting a glimpse at the feature-barren US disc, I bought the UK release which has a bunch of great features (though some footage is repeated several times throughout) and (as mentioned by others in this thread) was quite cheap- even with shipping.

As for the running time question- there are deleted scenes on the DVD. These plus the BL and JC footage may have brought the film to that mysterious 110 minute mark.

Chinatown Kid

Maybe they should have used clips of Hwang Jang Lee, that would make more sense because she is a TKD stylist. But then again Lee is still known more worldwide than HJL.

I'm a little late on this one (again), just watched it this past weekend on pay per view while in South Carolina and I absolutely loved this film! The story, cast and action was ALL top class! I felt the pace of the film was great and the fight scene with the Bruce Lee reference and with the special kid with glasses and track suit was simply amazing. Very entertaining film. The star, JeeJaa won me over. I watched it twice and look forward to purchasing the best dvd version of this film with as many extra bonuses as possible. I mentioned earlier to a friend today, there's still hope for new kung fu movies!

Ong Bak 2 is next on my list! ;)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I watched it twice and look forward to purchasing the best dvd version of this film with as many extra bonuses as possible.

I recommend the UK DVD.

I watched this Tuesday night while my wife was out shopping with a friend. I enjoyed it. The lead is very talented and looks credible for the moves she is pulling off.

I agree seeing her watch BL would have made more sense and been a fun part of the story.

I would be interested in seeing her in a movie where she can try and act, she did a great job in my opinion in this movie carrying it from one fight/stunt set up to the next.

I hope Magnolia goes all out on Ong Bak 2 and gives us a 2 disc edition like "The Host".

Guest WuxiaFan
Maybe they should have used clips of Hwang Jang Lee, that would make more sense because she is a TKD stylist. But then again Lee is still known more worldwide than HJL.

Outstanding observation, Chinatown Kid!:D

Now that I think about it, Jeeja's kick's do look a lot like HJL. My UK disc is crossing the pond now so I will watch her kicks closely when I get it. Can't wait to watch all of the extras--very disappointed in Magnolia.:o

Guest WuxiaFan

I just watched the UK version by Showbox Media and it is an outstanding disc! The transfer is perfect, the menus are very cool with fight scenes that kick up when you make a selection, and the extras are awesome!

If you were wondering about the "mansion" scene where Jeeja is wearing a colorful skirt and doing a jump kick, its under the deleted scenes. Out of all of the deleted scenes, it was the most interesting, but I'm not disappointed that it was cut. The entire scene that leads up to that kick and what happens after it is pretty brutal. The other scenes are very brutal and I'm glad they were cut. The other extras are awesome and all subtitled in English. Jeeja is just gorgeus!

Chinatown Kid is right about Jeeja's kicks looking a little like HJL! They really do. Her kicks are just incredible. Other observations from me: The ice house fight is clearly a homage to Bruce Lee in THE BIG BOSS and very well done, IMO. The finale fight scene, IMO, looks strinkingly close to the KILL BILL Vol 1's House of Blue Leaves finale. All of the baddies are dressed in black, they all end up with katanas, and they all run down a flight of stairs to form their attack. To me, it looked very similar to the Crazy 88s. But again, that's just me.