Chocolate / ช็อคโกแลต (2008)

Guest WongFury

Guest vos0410

In a director’s point of view, he possibly adds different elements to the film to grab a broader audience attention. Just the other day, I went to purchase the DVD to this movie and some guy there was asking for a movie that had sword fighting. How will he want to watch a movie that carries some sword fighting if "Chocolate" is a straight up hardcore film. When the seller told him that "Chocolate" had some sword fighting, the buyer bought the DVD. I think it is good to have implemented all kinds of things in the movie, but predominantly it was more hardcore then everything else.

When people watch movies they forget that they cost money and time to do. For instance, the warehouse scene was great, but the lead to the warehouse was so so. Perhaps since it cost money to rent the warehouse and organize all the props, equipment, settings etc., they may only have little time to come up with something in order to finish it and move on to the next scene. Although they already may have something written on the screenplay, sometimes it can be changed to something better or they just keep it as it is due to time constraints. These are things that movie makers have to deal with along with putting a story together. Not to mention going to the editing room and putting together the finished product which is also time consuming. This is a lot of work, this is why mistakes happen, but if one scene is good enough then the movie is good.

I thought this was an excellent movie and what makes a movie so excellent is originality. The whole autistic girl thing was very interesting and a great lead up to the final battle. Subtitles on DVD, I think they put bad subs on purpose so that you'll want to buy another copy with better quality and extra's. Good marketing strategy I think.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingofkungfu2002

• daisho2004

• The Running Man

• SiamKnight

hello all,

did anyone preorder chocolate? how do they do refunds via credit cards. i got an email from johnny & he told me credit card not charged but a $15 charge from haus lts was charged.

ToothbrushFu
There will be no release with english subtitles from HK or anywhere else or any other company in the US besides Dragon Dynasty.

The UK release will have English subtitles. But that's not until November - will the DD release be out before then?

I've heard though that the deal fell through w/ the Weinsteins, I don't know for sure yet, but I'd be surprised if North America gets Chocolate this year anytime, because DD is always at least 6 months to a year late so far.

Movie was ok and I thought the fight scenes were great. Maybe lacking a proper one on one fight scene as there were mainly fights with a group of people. The fight with the breakdancer was ok but it would have been nice to see a better one on one fight. But for Jeeja's first movie she did very well.

just watched it and it was very entertaining, subtitles would have been nice but they're not a necessity. one thing I noticed that's missing is the shot shown in the trailer where Jeeja delivers that practically vertical kick wearing the long skirt (looks like she's fighting in some sort of mansion). I only got the regular Thai dvd, has anybody checked out the limited edition which has 14min of additional footage as a bonus feature. is the full cut fight scene shown??

I just got the dvd today and watched the extras. Yes the limited edition dvd does have this fight in the 14 mins of additional footsge. It doesn't have the sound effects added in and the music is on and off which makes the scene appear rather silent. Unfortunately the fight scene is not complete. It ends after that jump kick you see in the trailer but some behind the scenes clips clearly show Jeeja continue to fight by performing a acrobatic move off the table. Overall I felt like the extras were very disappointing. Not only was the additional footage incomplete but the behind the scenes of all the fight scenes starting with the ice factory through to the end fight was very short. It basically showed the movie fight and once or twice they pause the fight and showed alittle behind the scenes of Jeeja and than return to the movie fight. The behind the scenes show that the fight with Jeeja and the 2 girls had an extra scene which they rehearse but the actual scene isn't shown. They had workshop footage of Jeeja doing her endfight in a warehouse from when she takes on the dojo of guards up to the swordfight. But I'm sure most people here have seen the youtube stuntshow clip of her when she is interviewed on a show and has a warehouse fight. Why wasn't that workshop scene included on the dvd? She must have done a warehouse workshop for every movie fight and this dvd only included one. I thought they would include some footage of Jeeja on stage performing but there is nothing. I would have much preferred if this was a double dvd which cost more and added more extras or if they released a separate making of dvd like how they did with Ong Bak. The packaging and the postcards are nice I guess.

that's the scene! ok, good to hear I wasn't missing anything by not ordering that limited edition version! (except for the postcards)!

OK I finally got this Movie yesterday in Chinatown NYC and the Subtitles were Excellent no problems with them. OK so now I finally got to watch this movie and the reason it took me so long was do to the Subtitle factor now with that out of the way. I thought it was an Excellent movie I really enjoyed the story and the Action was awesome, granted it wasn't on top notch form as Tony Jaa's skill level but the fight scenes were really good, and I enjoyed the end fight when her Father came to there aid with his Japanese Samurai style, so I don't know why people would complain that they didn't like that. Overall I thought it was a very good 1st .movie for Jeeja and I hope her next movie will be even better then this one. Seems we have a New Face on the Block.

doug maverick

i liked this movie, because it actually had a good theme to it. while baa ram ewe still needs to learn to develop plots. they actually did a good job with developing a character. they need to get rid of the whole fat boy comic relief character or just keep it with tony jaa. this girl should get a fresh start not the same rehashing of tony jaa's movies.

One Armed Boxer

Daigoro I think it's about time you came clean...you're really Prachya Pinkaew in disguise arn't you?

Guest WuxiaFan

I know this may sound weird, but there is a very good quality bootleg DVD available with excellent English subs. It is DVD-5, anamorphic wide screen, and all region. Here is the url:

http://www.asianjunction.com/product.php?productid=18442&cat=0&page=1&featured

I very rarely buy bootlegs, but I highly recommend this one. I bought it only after a friend at hkflix recommended it to me, as asianjunction is out of HI, also. The picture is crystal clear and the subs are in yellow type, easy to read, and with no errors (that I could see). This version did not have the scene reference earlier by Daigoro where Zen looks like she's fighting in a nicely decorated mansion wearing a dress. Overall, I thought the movie was excellent! There were some quickly things in the story, but I thought it was good. For Jeeja, she was awesome! Not as polished as Jaa, but awesome nonetheless! Nobody has commented on this, but Jeeja's first major fight scene was obviously a tribute to Bruce Lee. And the finale I thought looked very similar to the House of Blue Leaves finale in Kill Bill 1. The set looked similar and all of the baddies Jeeja fought looked like the Crazy 88s, especially since they broke out the samurai swords, and this was muay thai movie. But, that's just me. I haven't heard or read anywhere if that's actually the case. Again, awesome movie, Jeeja is hotter than sin, highly recommended!

WuxiaFan: No need to buy a bootleg I got a copy in Chinatown NYC and it had Excellent English Subtitles, so they did finally put out a very good copy of this movie, that scene in which is in question wasn't in the movie, maybe it was a deleted scene I don't know.

Guest WuxiaFan

There's not a copywrited DVD of Chocolate with English subs yet, so the copy you have is likely a bootleg, too. The only copywrited versions are from IVL [Hong Kong] and Happy Home Entertainment [Thailand] which have no English subs. There is an upcoming UK version coming from distributor Showbox Media Group and supposedly, the US version from Dragon Dynasty, that will have English subs. The distributor on the DVD I purchased is Bonzai Media Corp, which is a Taiwanese budget distrib. They are the same folks, I think, as Red Sun and Pan Media. Mark Pollard could confirm that, but I think I'm right.

WuxiaFan: Well I will agree that the DVD I got isn't a DD release legit copy but it is a very good copy and the English Subtitles are excellent and to me that's all that matters for now until it gets a legit release. And I will buy it when it comes out.

I thought this movie was pretty entertaining in a fu-nographic sort of way (you know, where the plot is just an excuse for the insane kung fuish action), but I just have the basic dvd, the movie & the trailer. Are the special features on the version Jeeja is holding up here worth buying another copy for? I'm tempted because I think I'll find the behind the scenes footage of the action at least as entertaining as the movie itself. I expect good things from the Dragon Dynasty version but there's no telling when it will come out or what it will have on it.

I just got this movie. I thought it was pretty good, expcially the fight scenes. The english subs i got were pretty bad but they pointed in the right direction

chocolate- a thai kung fu movie w/ lots of good action scenes from the cast headed by jeeja yanin who does her own stunts without doubles, Highly recommended!

i saw this a few months back, thought it was pretty good but the wireworking was kind of sloppy especially when she kneed the dude in the face towards the end along with some of the jump kicks she pulled off. overall it was pretty good though, that trailer just lied about no wires and no cgi but the action did live up to the hype. no tony jaa impact but good for a newcomer, hopefully her films keep getting better :D

I dont' know if i got a different version or what, but here she learns fighting from watching Ong Bak on the TV?!? When i first heard about this movie, the synopsis was that she learns from watching Bruce Lee movies (not Ong Bak) and this was also shown in the first trailer at least. Unless everybody else have the movie with the original Bruce Lee TV clips, i'm guessing they had to remove them for copyright reasons?

However, it does spoil the movie at little bit, since that explains why she mimics Bruce Lee in her fights (especially in the first fight) which now just seems weird.

Good movie none the less.

Mark Pollard

Consolidation of threads covering the same topic has become standard procedure on this message board. Quite simply, you were not the first person to begin discussing CHOCOLATE in general. So long as there isn't significant overlap in post dates, we will merge threads to keep from having multiple discarded discussions on the same topics littering the forums. Members should always search for existing threads before starting a new thread on the same topic.

If you want to lay claim to a thread then your thread title and opening description should reflect that, or you can contact me before starting the thread to discuss your intentions. While doing this may keep us from consolidating your thread, posts within will still be subject to general moderation should forum rules be compromised.

The Thai action movie Chocolate is to get a Blu-ray as well as standard dvd release in the UK on the 3rd of November.

Got the following statement sent to me,

"Following a couple of festival engagements during the next few weeks, CHOCOLATE will make its official London theatrical debut on 24th October, before being launched on DVD and Blu-Ray on 3rd November.

We will be hosting a special preview screening of CHOCOLATE in London's West End on the evening of 9th September"

Unfortunately cant make the preview, will try and find out if the Blu-ray will be region coded or not.

View my blog: http://asiancultcinema-drees5761.blogspot.com/