Chocolate / ช็อคโกแลต (2008)

Guest WongFury

vonhumboldtfleisher

I wasn't making a judgement. I just said the first ten minutes gave me no particularly compelling reason to watch the remaining hour and forty minutes.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingofkungfu2002

• daisho2004

• The Running Man

• SiamKnight

vonhumboldtfleisher

That's fair enough, I'm not saying it's a bad film, but I doubt I'll be watching it anytime soon.

I've watched the first 10 minutes & I find this kinda confusing. Dude shoots himself in the foot when his girlfriend/bodyguard leaves him. There's a trannie who looks like she/he is in a gang with a dude who looks like the king of all Triad cliches. There's a mexican standoff & only some chopsticks get broken. The leader of the Yakuza is a white dude. I dunno what the heck is happening.

lightning hopkins
We all know it did not just happen all at once. Lets take a look at this for a moment. Here we have a young female born in one of the poorest countries

in the world Thailand.

While I understand your efforts here to emphasize Jeeja's Cinderella-like rise from metaphorical rags to comparative riches, and I don't want to appear pedantic, by current economic standards Thailand doesn't actually rank anywhere near the truly poorest countries in the world, and to characterize it as such is inaccurate. Just sayin'.....

David Rees

Watched it today (without subs).

While its great for action fans it still has the same faults that Tom Yum Goong had in that the screenplay was poor and the tone shifting from comedy to hard violence.

The lead actress was very good pulling off some amazing moves, the poor stuntmen suffer more than most as the outtakes at the end show.

Now if only someone could give the director a good script to go with his amazing action he could make an all time classic!

Seen a version with English subtitles here:

CHOCOLATE DVD ENGLISH SUBS...

by current economic standards Thailand doesn't actually rank anywhere near the truly poorest countries in the world, and to characterize it as such is inaccurate.

Yeah I agree! I used to live there, I go back every year and while there is poverty to be found just as there is in any other country, Thailand is NOT one of the poorest countries in the world.

daisho2004

I've been looking forward to seeing this movie and since I heard DD is getting the rights to it I'll wait a few more Months before I'll pick it up. I also ask one of the Girls that works in Chinatown DVD Store in NYC if they were getting this movie in and she said in about a week or so.

lightning hopkins
Yeah I agree! I used to live there, I go back every year and while there is poverty to be found just as there is in any other country, Thailand is NOT one of the poorest countries in the world.

Same here...no wonder we're both such excellent forum posters with exceptional tastes in martial arts cinema. :cool:

A copy of "Chocolate" arrived in my mailbox today straight outta Bangkapi, courtesy of an extremely thoughtful family member. Looking forward to watching it this evening....

A copy of "Chocolate" arrived in my mailbox today straight outta Bangkapi, courtesy of an extremely thoughtful family member

SNAP!!!...Well almost, my copy came courtesy of an extremely thoughtful family member in Udon Thani.:D

And as for our excellent forum posts and exceptional tastes in martial arts cinema..well I agree wholeheartedly 100%!! ;)

Amazing fights. Pure pleasure. Just don't bother to watch the entire movie, you may wanna puke, it's so poorly scripted, so banal. You have all seen it a thousand times already.

Do yourself a favor and just skip to the good parts :)

The girl is amazing. And those outtakes at the end is great, too, makes us appreciate more the hard labor they have gone through choreographing those fights.

It's interesting reviewing it with the ''Thai Subtitles" ON because (on the Sahamongkol release) they only appear through about 50%

of the Spoken dialog in the film

Got around to watching my unsubbed DVD of this the other day and and the reson the Thai subs come on only during certain parts of the movie is because Japanese dialogue is being spoken

As a movie I thought it was ok..5 out of 10

I recently got a fan subbed version of the Thai DVD release and as someone who speaks Thai I can confirm that these subs have been translated very well!!

daisho2004

I was trying to get a copy of this movie from eBay but everyone I spoke to said the Subtitles weren't that good. You'd think someone would've really put some effort into this and subtitled a good version of this movie. Does anyone know when DD is going to release this movie to the US?

daisho2004

Hey Thanks Daigoro, but I'm not good with ripping and pasting subtitles looks like I either get the eBay version for now and wait the the DD release.

lol, sounds like it would be easier to learn Thai!

Trust me it's not! lol

Anyway, the full Thai DVD with added EXCELLENT English subs is available to download for free.

I don't want to post the name of the website here but if you really want it mention it on this thread and no doubt someone will point you in the right direction!

lightning hopkins

After watching the movie, I'm not sure how much proper English subtitles are really gonna add to your movie viewing experience.

As has already been mentioned by others here, the storyline in "Chocolate" isn't particularly innovative or original; if anything, missing out on the limp plot, lame characterizations, and campy-bad dialogue might help make the film more enjoyable, if not any less disappointing, to the non-Thai-speaking public. I'm now ready to concede that Prachya Pinkaew is indeed the Lo Wei of Thailand, and I'm relieved that Tony Jaa will be doing the directing instead for the next Ong Bak film.

At least the action scenes atone for the rest of the movie, and Jeeja shows plenty of potential......

lightning hopkins

Though I appreciate your obvious enthusiasm for all things Jeeja, my own ultimate disappointment in "Chocolate" is much easier to express: I truly wanted to like this movie, and was hoping for a film would leave me with same sense of wide-eyed slack-jawed awe that the original martial femme fatale, Angela Mao, delivered in "Lady Whirlwind" years ago....and it didn't.

The movie's schizophrenic scattershot genre-hopping didn't help matters any either -- seems like Pinkaew couldn't decide whether he was making a female Tony Jaa film (which would've been just fine), a Jackie Chan stunt extravaganza, a guns-blazing John Woo movie, or a comedy mix of "Iron Ladies" and "Fan Chan."

The simplicity of "Ong Bak" was a major part of what made it work; keeping the narrative clutter to a minimum left plenty of room for viewers to just sit back and enjoy the spectacle of Tony Jaa in action. By taking the opposite approach in "Chocolate", though, Pinkaew really detracted from the impact of seeing Jeeja unleashed, and allowed her to get lost in the shuffle of sleazy Thai crime bosses, sword-swinging-yakuza-bastard-dads, and pistol-packing katoeys running through the movie.

I got to see this finally and I can't say I was too impressed. Jeeja was fine but there was something lacking in this film, either Prachya needs to stop writing and find a decent screenwriter or he learns how to write, there was a decent story buried somewhere in this movie, decent enough by martial arts movie standards at least. The writing wasn't strong enough to sustain the non-kung-fu related parts of the movie.

The fighting was top notch though, some pretty inventive stuff from Panna and Jeeja, the first few fights were good but I felt there was a lack of tension or maybe Jeeja just lacks charisma, the final fight was another interesting highlight, the tourettes fighter almost felt like an anime character and the building fight was superb. I'm hoping Prachya will put Jeeja to better use in his next film, which is another female driven action movie.

Hi there,

Just got an email from DDDHouse that the upcoming (12th june) release will have NO English subs....

Bummer...