Chocolate / ช็อคโกแลต (2008)

Guest WongFury

ToothbrushFu

The Cine Asia label is from Showbox Media, they also put out Dragon Tiger Gate on UK DVD. I can't think of any other DVDs they've put out. They've also just picked up the UK rights for An Empress and the Warriors.

Chocolate also got picked up for release in Hong Kong. So there should also be an English subbed DVD release from there this summer, I think the HK theatrical release is next month.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingofkungfu2002

• daisho2004

• The Running Man

• SiamKnight

I'm looking forward to Cine-Asia! They are a subsidiary of Showbox Home Entertainment, as are Rarescope I believe.

If you noticed, they released a seemingly adequate version of 'Dragon Tiger Gate' :). Tai Seng's one was superior in terms of extras and DTS, etc, but still a very good effort and a company NOT to be ignored.

Their artwork is very good indeed.

bamboo spear

Is there a Region Zero DVD of Chocolate yet? I don't see anything on ebay. They usually hit the market pretty quick.

Tigerstyles

i emailed Ethai about the subtitle issue and they said

Thank you for your email.

I wish they would put English subtitles, but it

seems that all their movies (Sahamongkol Film) were

sold to oversea distributors. This is probably why

they can't put English sub on Thai DVD version.

Haven't these companies heard of fansubbing...They're just encouraging bootlegging :(

I know...Joy Sales is doing the same thing with their Japanese DVD's. Companies that do this essentially remaster DVD's for Redsun to re-distribute.

I think with Chocolate's case, it's legal reasons because of possible acquisition by UK/US companies.

The Japanese could be a different story.

The Running Man

I just think Thai companies don't have anyone to do their subtitles.

The original Ong Bak subs were horrible. The word "fuck" was used in just about every other sentence.

The Amazing Psycho Per

The Thai DVD hits the stores on april 23... But, as one should've expect, it does not contain eng. subs...:mad:

who is the distributor for the HK release? I don't see an Edko logo on that poster, so hopefully the HK dvd wil have english subs when it comes out!

Watching the action sequences in this film is pure joy. For a GWG fan like myself, it's a dream come true. Choreo, while different from HK is not boring, looks brutal and very inventive. The thing that pleased me the most was the fact that action didn't look fake, like in latest HK movies.( Fatal Move was HORRIBLE and almost unbearable to watch) Even wire-assisted falls looked very realistic, IMO.

The finale looked totally insane, I was jumping in my seat quite a few times in disbelief.

Stuntmen took a beating, literally

I think it rivals TYG in terms of fights.

Very, very nice!

I spoke to a co-worker friend of mine, he usually do Thai & Malaysian translations for me - I wanted to rip the thai subs & have him translate it for me - (he have done that for me before). He told me to wait a week or so because there is a 2 disc special edition coming out. He was on a thai site & told me there isn't any info if there will be any english subs on the 2 disc SE. So I gonna wait a bit longer & get the 2 disc whether it have english subs or not.

Is it just me, or does Jeeja have a little resemblance to Etsuko "Sue" Shihomi of the Sister Street Fighter series.

kingofkungfu2002

Just watched it last night, and thought it ROCKED :cool:

Even without subs it was pretty easy to follow, and there's about 5 or 6 lengthy fight scenes. Watching the outtakes I couldn't help but feel really sorry for her when she got injured though.

Can't wait for an English subbed release :)

It's interesting reviewing it with the ''Thai Subtitles" ON because (on the Sahamongkol release) they only appear through about 50% of the Spoken dialog in the film.

They sometimes do this on DVDs released in Thailand where a different dialect is being spoken such as Isaan etc so that people that speak regular Thai can still understand and follow the movie.

Not sure if this is the case with 'Chocolate' though as I haven't bothered to watch the movie yet.

My friend have a boot copy (theatre boot) with the english subs burnt in. He got it from a friend in Nonthaburi.

He said the same thing - That the thai subs are not much use so he is using the subs from the copy & adding missing subs (translations from the movie itself - if needed) - His nieces do not speak much thai & they REALLY want to see it with subs - you know how impatience kid are.

So he is doing his own fun subs for his nieces.

king hades

Just collect the DVD (Thai) Specical Edition with Jija Autograph

(1May).

Here are pictures when Jija signed the autograph on My DVD.

4-20080501214501.jpg

4-20080501214642.jpg

4-20080501191459.jpg

vonhumboldtfleisher

I wasn't too thrilled by this film - I only watched the first ten minutes - but you can download some good subtitles here.

They're not grammatically perfect, but they're the best I've seen yet. Here are the first few lines.

00:01:01,200 --> 00:01:02,560

I am a

00:01:02,560 --> 00:01:05,552

boy who's unusually interested in scars

00:01:07,960 --> 00:01:09,360

I like

00:01:09,360 --> 00:01:12,352

To imagine what is the real reason leading to scars

00:01:15,840 --> 00:01:18,240

Each time touching the scars

00:01:18,240 --> 00:01:19,720

I can feel myself

00:01:19,720 --> 00:01:22,712

being lead inside the story of this scar,

00:01:28,080 --> 00:01:31,072

A small scar to me

00:01:32,800 --> 00:01:35,792

How relishing indeed.

4-20080501191459.jpg

Whoa. your name is Big?

I wasn't too thrilled by this film - I only watched the first ten minutes

Ummmmm, just a suggestion but maybe you should watch the whole thing before making judgment? :confused: