Bloody Parrot (1981) - Is this the worst Shaw Bros movie ever made?

magicpoe

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The best thing about Angry Guest is Chang Cheh playing the role of a japanese crime boss. He even does a little fighting.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angry Guest had misleading cover art, it showed DC & Ti Lung on the cover looking pissed carrying butcher knives, I thought it would be similiar to Vengeance, wrong, false advertising.

Morgoth Bauglir
Fans of classic Hong Kong cinema like Blood Brothers.

Fans of fighting films don't.

I can't agree with that. We may just be seeing this differently, but isn't classic HK cinema kung fu and swordplay movies? So isn't classic HK cinema and fighting films pretty much the same thing? Sure it would be great to have a movie that has great storytelling, acting, fighting, and everything else, but there's just not a lot of perfect kf movies out there.

To me Blood Brothers is almost a perfect movie. It doesn't bother me that the action looks like it's from 72 or 73. So it wasn't way ahead of it's time. That's fine with me. I still think the action is good. I think the story and acting is so good in BB maybe that's why I overlook the slow moving action. When Chiang rushes in on Ti Lung after Ti Lung has CKT killed, that was some great drama. I don't even remember how good the kung fu exchanges are (though I'm pretty sure they are damn good!). I just remember how good the directing, acting, and camera work is, and how intense it is. That's what makes that fight great to me. And is one of the many many reasons of why it's a great movie.

And MArkgway sorry to take another one of your quotes and use it to propel myself into a rant. It's coincidence I guess. I just have strong feelings on this movie.

EDIT- ok decided to pop BB in before I head to bed, and only 10 minutes in I'm impressed with the action. I hadn't watched it in at least a year. The fighting does feel a bit "awkward". I can't put my finger on it. It's no Delightful Forest, but it's still pretty damn good!

Also, as we know, everyone has different opinions, and everyone's opinions should be respected. I'm yet to meet the person that agrees with me on every movie. Or even agree with me on 90% of movies. If everyone starts thinking the same way and agreeing on everything, then we have a problem that we really need to analyze. Edit again- I just realized this last comment was not necasarry on this thread. I was reading another thread where I thought the poster budafinger (?) was getting a bit out of line. Time for me to put the wine down and go to bed:tongue:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I have to agree with Morgoth. Blood Brothers has a very thoughtful storyline (probably one of the best in the genre). Up there with Avenging Eagle, The Duel, Vengeance, and Human Lanterns. It actually supercedes these films with its romantic motives. The fighting is (at times) a bit tame, but there are some well choreographed combat scenes.

Guest Markgway
I can't agree with that. We may just be seeing this differently, but isn't classic HK cinema kung fu and swordplay movies? So isn't classic HK cinema and fighting films pretty much the same thing?

Not exclusively. There's a lot more to HK cinema than just martial arts movies. That was as true in the seventies as it is now. Classic to me doesn't just mean old.

Sure it would be great to have a movie that has great storytelling, acting, fighting, and everything else, but there's just not a lot of perfect kf movies out there.

I agree up to a point. The majority of martial arts movies are flawed. Usually they have either great action and everything else sucks or quality storytelling and action that lacks (I suppose by general consensus The Blood Brothers would fall into this category). But there are movies which combine both.

To me Blood Brothers is almost a perfect movie. It doesn't bother me that the action looks like it's from 72 or 73.

Me either. I think it's one of Chang Cheh's best. The dated fighting style didn't bother me much. Chroeographers like Liu Chia-Liang were constantly progressing in their work. You can't expect 1981 level action in a 1973 film.

And MArkgway sorry to take another one of your quotes and use it to propel myself into a rant. It's coincidence I guess. I just have strong feelings on this movie.

Actually it sounds like we agree on the movie... lol

The fighting does feel a bit "awkward". I can't put my finger on it. It's no Delightful Forest, but it's still pretty damn good!

I wasn't mad on The Delightful Forest. Can't remember why.

Morgoth Bauglir

Delightful Forest is worth revisiting if you have not seen it in awhile. The opening fight is spectacular and filled with hate. It gets talked about often here for good reason. To me the action in Forest is on the level of a 1976 Shaw movie.

Delightful Forest is good, just a bit slow in the middle. Also his injuries prior to the last battle healed just a bit too quickly even in Cheng Cheh's world.

I discovered some bizarre SB films. One of them, is The Bod Squad (1974). I watched the german version. "Das blutige Schwerter Rache" (1978). Directed by Chih - Hung Kuei, the movie is not my taste but there are audience for all the genres and syles.

Is a catastrophe of mixed characters like girls half or total naked fighting an unreal martial arts skills, pirates, ninjas, sailors, concubines, a mad emperor.... I just could not believe the scene of the girls (spies of the west ... something like Bond's girls ---only in dreams) in bikini swim dress, trying to learn some weird kung fu "technique" from one of the Emperor's concubine.... some people found this movie fun, for me not.

shaolin drunkard

I tried to watch "madam slender plum"...as much as I love shaws and all their actors there is limit and with this it reached it at 30 mins...

I discovered some bizarre SB films. One of them, is The Bod Squad (1974). I watched the german version. "Das blutige Schwerter Rache" (1978). Directed by Chih - Hung Kuei, the movie is not my taste but there are audience for all the genres and syles.

Is a catastrophe of mixed characters like girls half or total naked fighting an unreal martial arts skills, pirates, ninjas, sailors, concubines, a mad emperor.... I just could not believe the scene of the girls (spies of the west ... something like Bond's girls ---only in dreams) in bikini swim dress, trying to learn some weird kung fu "technique" from one of the Emperor's concubine.... some people found this movie fun, for me not.

Hmmm pirates, ninjas, Bond girls mixed in a shaw movie? Sounds like my kind of weird:xd:

Delightful Forest is excellent. I've seen about a 150 Shaw Brothers films since Celestial started reintroducing the world to these gems. As I watched these films I came to the realization that I had seen every great Shaw Brothers film as kid. Delightful Forest made me rethink that notion.

shaolin drunkard
and SLICE OF DEATH (awesome name, sounds like a movie about killer pizza).

Is this same as shaolin abbot?David chiang movie...I have not yet watched it....

Mark Pollard

Yes, A SLICE OF DEATH is the alternate U.S. title for ABBOT OF SHAOLIN. Crash Cinema used it for their VHS and DVD releases of the English-dubbed World Northal print. The film was originally released under that title in the U.S. by World Northal in 1982. I believe it had a limited theatrical run before appearing on the Black Belt Theater TV series.

picture.php?albumid=55&pictureid=4799

In my opinion the movie is pretty bad compared to films Chiang starred in during the late '60s and early '70s. However I haven't seen it in years and my only real memory of it is being distracted by seams in wallpaper that was unconvincingly painted to look like the sky.

shaolin drunkard

Thanks Mark.I try to watch it today,I have seen pic where chiang stands at log,scene looks quite similar one in...uhh,was it men from the monastery:ooh:

Goes to show you that even a good director (Ho Meng Hua) with a stellar cast can make a dud. Always felt DC was totally miscast in this one. Not saying it would have been any better if there had been a different lead but I enjoyed the dreaded Drunken Master 3 more than this one.

I don't think Shao Abbot is too bad, it's just a bit sloppy, especially in the fight dept where it seems underdeveloped first takes will do & that's that I guess, although with a little pick up here & there... but it is nice to see a film take on the monk Gee Sin Sim See (DC's character), a fabled character in Chinese martial mythology arguably as important as the Hung Xi Guan's & Fang Shi Yu's of this world, but oft-neglected in the shao cycle & ilk era works. Interesting for me to see where they went with him even if it ended up a duffer.

Goes to show you that even a good director (Ho Meng Hua) with a stellar cast can make a dud. Always felt DC was totally miscast in this one. Not saying it would have been any better if there had been a different lead but I enjoyed the dreaded Drunken Master 3 more than this one.

Well at least Lo Lieh reprises his role as Pai Mei...?

As I've said before about Shaolin Abbot---yes, the fight scenes look more like they were from 1974 instead of from 1979, when the movie was made. However, since I love Shaw movies from 1974, this isn't really a problem for me. :wink:

10999052_det.jpg

This is the version I have (Crash). Who is that guy on the cover from this movie? I've seen him in some venoms films as an extra (KWTGA comes to mind). And as the fisherman expert in 5 SUPERFIGHTERS.

Jamie Luk Kim Ming.

shaolin drunkard

Considering pure non-comedy kungfu/wu xia I would say water margin is worst.So much good actors and nothing really happens there.It`s just drop dead boring.All men are brothers makes up for it tho it you watch them in row, gives nice overall impression for duo.

Considering pure non-comedy kungfu/wu xia I would say water margin is worst.So much good actors and nothing really happens there.It`s just drop dead boring.All men are brothers makes up for it tho it you watch them in row, gives nice overall impression for duo.

I might agree. Put it this way, Water Margin is the only Shaw title I fell asleep while watching, and I wasn't tired.

shaolin drunkard
Water Margin is one of my favorites, if not my very favorite Shaw.

I might give it a 2nd try but extremely likely I still find watching walls more interesting than this....

Well, cool if/as there are dudes around who appreciate water margin tho..

Archived