Bloody Parrot (1981) - Is this the worst Shaw Bros movie ever made?

magicpoe

Killer Constable is one of THE best Shaw films. Cannot believe it's been mentioned here among the shit.

I hate to say it fellas but I absolutely loathed Killer Constable. I gave my copy away, I didn't sell it.The choreography was awful, story/plot awful. I actually got angry watching this movie because I anticipated owning this title and it was a big let down.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you ever finish this?1st hour is terrible I gave up on it about 2 years ago.And quite recently managed to finish movie,there is some OK fights in the end.

I have seen worse Shaws...unfortunately:nerd:

Yes, I finished it, and the fights were okay. But it wasn't enough to relieve the headache I got watching it. If I ever take up drinking I'll give it another go.

kungfusamurai
I hate to say it fellas but I absolutely loathed Killer Constable. I gave my copy away, I didn't sell it.The choreography was awful, story/plot awful. I actually got angry watching this movie because I anticipated owning this title and it was a big let down.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like Killer Constable. I can't say it was horrible, I just didn't find it lived up to the hype. Over rated. I haven't watched the chinese language widescreen version yet, just the full screen english dub (AKA lightning kung fu). I don't think it would make much difference, though. I enjoyed the fight between Yuen Wah and Chen Kwan Tai, but other than that, the movie was a bit silly for me. I mean Chen's character got stabbed and sliced so many times, he should have died of tetanus, if not from all the blood he would have lost. Yet, he kept going on, so that ending was a real cheater, like the way Chris Carter would lead us down one path in X Files and then take it all back! (Maybe not a good analogy). And I still cringe at the melodramatic scene between Ku Feng's character and the daughter. Waaay too much for a chinese kung fu flick, and over the top.

House of Traps was another huge disappointment, as was Ode To Gallantry. I don't think I've been able to sit through Cat Vs Rat, or maybe I did, that's how much I enjoyed it. But they're not the worst of the lot.

Shadow Boxer was another huge let down. I was hoping to see some nice Tai Chi moves from a supposed tai chi expert in the lead actor. But there was as much tai chi in that movie as there was in Born Invincible.

I can't really sit through wuxia flicks, and anything made before King Boxer/Five Fingers of Death.

KFS

I mean Chen's character got stabbed and sliced so many times, he should have died of tetanus, if not from all the blood he would have lost. Yet, he kept going on, so that ending was a real cheater,

So I take it you find ending of Boxer From Shantung over the top silly then.Because stabs and slashes CKT got in KC are minor wounds compared to BFS

:nerd:

kungfusamurai
So I take it you find ending of Boxer From Shantung over the top silly then.Because stabs and slashes CKT got in KC are minor wounds compared to BFS

:nerd:

I would say there's a bit of a difference. If it all happens in the final battle, you can assume the guy is running on adrenaline. Yeah, the blood loss is severe, but he's just going and going until it's over. With Killer Constable, mind you I haven't watched it in a wall, I just recall him getting really badly injured over a long period of time. If all of his injuries were inflicted in the final battle, I'd understand. Maybe I was just irritated by the film overall, so I was less forgiving. :)

KFS

I would say there's a bit of a difference. If it all happens in the final battle, you can assume the guy is running on adrenaline. Yeah, the blood loss is severe, but he's just going and going until it's over. With Killer Constable, mind you I haven't watched it in a wall, I just recall him getting really badly injured over a long period of time. If all of his injuries were inflicted in the final battle, I'd understand. Maybe I was just irritated by the film overall, so I was less forgiving. :)

KFS

oh you are right on that.I have not watched it for a while either but I recall he gets wounded in fight with ku feng and when troops arrive.

What I like about Killer Constable is that it was a throwback, it seems during the early 80s a lot of the films are comedies, wire fu, Shaws is actually packing it in... In Killer Constable, Chen Kuan Tai, brings back an old school character type and did a hardcore movie. I like that.

I think Blood Brothers is the worst Shaw I have seen. Absolutely abysmal.

:Ayociexp122:

Well,if you are into more into kung-fu comedies or flick where is fights aplenty like venom movies I can see you might feel Blood Sword not your cup of tea..There is just few fights and not comedy.

I found storyline@BB extremely entertaining.

Blood Brothers is great film, a classic, its a martial arts drama and no one should confuse it with a typical chopsocky, if you need a surface level kung fu film, then Blood Brothers with its epic scope and storytelling is not for you. But definitely dont disrespect it by adding it to a worse film of all time thread, thats just straight disrespectful to me.

Killer Meteor
Blood Brothers is great film, a classic, its a martial arts drama and no one should confuse it with a typical chopsocky, if you need a surface level kung fu film, then Blood Brothers with its epic scope and storytelling is not for you. But definitely dont disrespect it by adding it to a worse film of all time thread, thats just straight disrespectful to me.

Blood Brothers is odd. One of the very best as far as plot, acting and tone is concerned, but the fighting is very awkward.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Of course everyone is entitled to their preferences, but what I find stranger than these type of films being discussed as worst of's is what people choose as best films of the genre. Very strange picks indeed.

Of course everyone is entitled to their preferences, but what I find stranger than these type of films being discussed as worst of's is what people choose as best films of the genre. Very strange picks indeed.

In earlier mentioned Challenge of the masters and 10 tigers of kwan tung I would not include into top10 but both would be@top30..well,tigers barely but challenge easily.

Blood Brothers is odd. One of the very best as far as plot, acting and tone is concerned, but the fighting is very awkward.

I dont think its odd at all, its simply a film that takes its time. The director clearly wanted to make a different kind of film, a serious martial arts picture. Now if you are watching it strictly for the kung fu then it may not deliver what your looking for, yet with that said, I dont find the fighting to be all that bad, only the rolling death scenes of extras. I love Chen Kuan Tai's performance in the film, and Ti Lung and David Chiang at least have some real motivation behind their memorable end fight. The way I see it, I compare it to other films of its time, if you comparing it to modern taste in kung fu film then its bland, but for 73 it was alright.

In earlier mentioned Challenge of the masters and 10 tigers of kwan tung I would not include into top10 but both would be@top30..well,tigers barely but challenge easily.

Challenge of the Masters isn't a bad film, it just doesn't do anything for me, its lukewarm, but I must admit it is a chore for me to watch 10 Tigers of Kwangtung, no matter how many times I see it, I can not grasp at all what the director is trying to accomplish with this film. The only thing that even stands out to me is the beheading at the end.

Killer Meteor
Challenge of the Masters isn't a bad film, it just doesn't do anything for me, its lukewarm, but I must admit it is a chore for me to watch 10 Tigers of Kwangtung, no matter how many times I see it, I can not grasp at all what the director is trying to accomplish with this film. The only thing that even stands out to me is the beheading at the end.

Challenge is lukewarm for sure. Ten Tigers at least has camp OTT humour (albiet likely unintentional) to make it easier viewing.

Ten Tigers was pretty horrible as a film but it does have some wicked fighting particularly the fight with Wong Li and that other bloke who used the props. Im surprised to see Blood Brothers being mentioned in this thread even as someone who watches kung movies mostly for the fighting i loved that movie. The fighting itself was a bit slow at times but it has one of the best stories ive seen in a kung fu movie.

mshengxiaolong

I wasn't too crazy about Duel of the Iron Fist.I would have to see it again to know for sure if I'd like it.I haven't seen it in 26 yrs

I do not have very fond memories of angry guest or 4 riders but then again modern day shaws are not really for me.

But still it has been very long time since saw them I maybe better give them another chance

Killer Meteor
I do not have very fond memories of angry guest or 4 riders but then again modern day shaws are not really for me.

But still it has been very long time since saw them I maybe better give them another chance

I enjoyed Four Riders a lot. I prefer modern day Shaws - 70s Hong Kong is a much more eyecatching place then boring old teahouse and long wigs.

That said, Four Riders is SUPPOSED to be set in 50's Korea, lol

Lust For Love Of A Chinese Courtesan was quite a waste of time...There was fighting about 2 mins in total but worse is storyline uninteresting.

On plus-side 2 women who play lead roles are drop dead gorgeous:smile:

But definitely weak film compared to intimate confessions...

Archived