Bloody Parrot (1981) - Is this the worst Shaw Bros movie ever made?

magicpoe

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since it's a Celestial release, I am going to nominate Stephen Chow's OUT OF THE DARK as the worst film I have ever sat through.

bravearcher101

The worse shaw brothers movies ever made were, Fantastic Magic Baby, Little Dragon Maiden, just to name a few, but Bloody Parrot was not one of them.

SamuraiDana

If I had to pick the worst Shaw Bros. movies I've seen, offhand they'd be:

ANGEL WITH THE IRON FISTS (1966) - Lily Ho as a teenaged super-agent who beats up Ku Feng and Fan Mei-sheng!

THE ANGEL STRIKES AGAIN (1968) - Lily Ho in the most unconvincing fight scenes ever!

THE WANDERING SWORDSMAN (1969) - Chang Cheh/David Chiang misfire

THE SINGING THIEF (1969) - Chang Cheh makes a caper comedy--with music!

PURSUIT (1972) - poor adaptation of a tale from "The Water Margin" that was done much better in other movies

LADY IS THE BOSS (1983) - Lau Kar Leung/Kara Hui Yi Hung misfire

I might include Chang Cheh's THE SINGING KILLER (1970) if I could only finish sitting through it.

About some of the others cited in this thread, I'm a little alarmed to see CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS mentioned. It may not be Lau Kar Leung's best, but it's certainly an above-average kung fu movie by any standard. I would also defend BLOOD BROTHERS, THE MAGIC BLADE, LITTLE DRAGON MAIDEN, and TEN TIGERS OF KWANGTUNG.

And I'm a big fan of BUDDHA'S PALM, DESCENDANT OF THE SUN and DEMON OF THE LUTE. You may not like that particular genre, but that doesn't make those titles bad movies. I don't like teen comedies so I reacted to AMERICAN PIE with indifference, but I can't say it's a bad movie. It evidently delivered the goods to fans of the genre. A bad movie is one that fails to do what it sets out to do, on every level, either by incompetence, carelessness, bad luck, or a misguided directorial strategy.

Also, just 'cause something puts you to sleep doesn't make it a bad movie. I recall a film school teacher who responded to a student's complaint about a movie being boring by telling her, "Maybe YOU'RE the one that's boring."

Weird man was pretty awful for me.

I was almost about to buy this movie because of the cast, but the whole teleporting thing I saw in the trailer freaked me out big time.

ironfistedmonk

And I'm a big fan of BUDDHA'S PALM, DESCENDANT OF THE SUN and DEMON OF THE LUTE. You may not like that particular genre, but that doesn't make those titles bad movies. I don't like teen comedies so I reacted to AMERICAN PIE with indifference, but I can't say it's a bad movie. It evidently delivered the goods to fans of the genre. A bad movie is one that fails to do what it sets out to do, on every level, either by incompetence, carelessness, bad luck, or a misguided directorial strategy.

Also, just 'cause something puts you to sleep doesn't make it a bad movie. I recall a film school teacher who responded to a student's complaint about a movie being boring by telling her, "Maybe YOU'RE the one that's boring."

Your right I don't like this particular genre, they don't entertain me in the slightest and in that regard to me they are bad movies. A movies sole aim should be to entertain and these failed to do so in my case, henceforth bad movies.

There are plenty of boring movies out there, just because someone finds a film boring that doesn't make someone a boring person, that film school teacher you mentioned probably gets off on some level putting down someone who doesn't agree with their opinion of some arty crap.

You think Lady is the Boss is a bad movie, a misfire, I think it's a good movie and a great twist on the story in My Young Auntie. I respect your opinion, if you think it's a bad movie then to you it is but to me it was entertaining so it's good :)

I was almost about to buy this movie because of the cast, but the whole teleporting thing I saw in the trailer freaked me out big time.

Give yourself a pat on the back for not buying it. I wish I had the foresight.

If I had to pick the worst Shaw Bros. movies I've seen, offhand they'd be:

ANGEL WITH THE IRON FISTS (1966) - Lily Ho as a teenaged super-agent who beats up Ku Feng and Fan Mei-sheng!

PURSUIT (1972) - poor adaptation of a tale from "The Water Margin" that was done much better in other movies

I would also defend TEN TIGERS OF KWANGTUNG.

:eek:

Magic Blade goes back to the video store tomorrow. Ugh. Its not that its a badly made movie, I just don't care about the characters or what happens to them. Some of the fight scenes are okay, but, by in large, this one is a snooser.

Lady is Boss was kinda hillarious. I didn't love it, but it kept me awake & interested. Ten Tigers has to be the most poorly made movie I've ever seen. Pursuit was nothing special.

HAZ, which version of The Magic Blade is going back tomorrow? The IVL or the Image?

Image. The quality of the disc was okay. I'm looking foward to Kiss Of Death.

HAZ

I am just about to order it to upgrade from my IVL. Movie is great. Can't understand why you don't like it.

A trade is fine with me. However since I have recently been ripped off in a trade, I will have to receive your DVD before I will post The Magic Blade. However it will be sent by registered/insured air.

HAZ

I am just about to order it to upgrade from my IVL. Movie is great. Can't understand why you don't like it.

I have the movie untill tomorrow, so I'm going to give it one more try. I really like elements of the film, like the Devil Grandma, but the story didn't pull me in. I'm not terribly curious to know what happens to the Peacock Dart, which is a pretty boring weapon. Looks like a candy dish. This film needed a bit more pizzazz. So far, my favorite Chor Yuen film is that one with the guy from Kiss. Something of the Bat. That was amazing!

I really like Hui Ying Hung, but Tigress Of Shaolin was very bad. I was looking forward to this movie and was very disappointed.:(

I really like Hui Ying Hung, but Tigress Of Shaolin was very bad. I was looking forward to this movie and was very disappointed.:(

Yeah, this was one I couldn't finish watching. Truly awful movie. Shaw's seemed totally lost when it came to copying the indy style of movie save for one or two instances.

PURSUIT OF A KILLER (1985) is another horrible movie. It starts off like gangbusters then slowly derails from there. Love Pai Piao's changing hairstyle from scene to scene. The film having been shot over the course of several years doesn't mean it couldn't have turned out better than this.

THE INFORMER (1981) is another awful movie where nothing at all happens for the most part anyways. Pretty much zero action and this film could have used it. The only "memorable moment" was the disco scene where the song playing inside is the same song heard in the 'Father's Day' episode of CREEPSHOW (1982) where Ed Harris boogies down with his hot wife displaying some odd dance moves akin to somebody being electrocuted.

Chinatown Kid

The Shaw flick that let me down the most was Ghosts Galore because my expectations were high after seeing Hwang put on such a great show in Kid From Kwangtung, sadly the flick fell flat.:(

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
I'm only 52m thru BLOODY PARROT but it has me wondering...??

Just for that we put the Bloody Parrot curse on ye! Jade Dragon (Markgway) I'm amazed at you!

Seriously, I'm a bit surprised you don't appreciate Bloody Parrot. Linn turned me on to this flick, he had very good things to say about this film, and upon viewing it I instantly fell in love with it. It delivers in every department. The fight choreographs are crisply and superbly worked out. I can watch this film over and over again.

I love, love, love this film.

Archived