Bloody Parrot (1981) - Is this the worst Shaw Bros movie ever made?

magicpoe

Not Shaws, but I liked Nine Demons.

I looovvvee Sex Beyond The Grave (c'mon - a professor of mushrooms); Descendent Of The Sun is way up there on my Chor Yuan favourites list. Demon of the Lute is greeeat fun; Journey of the Doomed tickled me with its '80s stylings; Bloody Parrot is good.

Tales Of Larceny is THE single shittest Shaw flick I've seen. Oh man, is that a stinker!! Nothing to offer; in any respect. No fun to be had even remotely. Li Han Hsiang's section was slightly ok (still noooo good), but the first half - it's kind of an anthology film - is THE shittest Shaw stuff. Dean Shek at THE WORST I've ever seen him, and I've kind of warmed to his usual stylings, but here... soooo bad. Pure straight up rubbish! THE only Shaw flick I know I'd actually recommend anyone should avoid.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NINE DEMONS is a Chang Ho movie, the indy company Chang started up in Taiwan after his contract wasn't renewed at Shaw Brothers. Those bootleg companies will put anything on their boxes to get people to buy their product.

I wouldn't say CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS was one of the worst. A very classy film that has lots to say about discipline and humility. I didn't care for this movie much when I first saw it years back, but I see it differently now and one of the finest morality plays by LKL.

Here's some I find to be a chore to get through...

THE GHOST STORY--Gorgeous set design but lackluster sex and ghost tales build to an incredibly bizarre climax that recalls the inanity of Robert Tai complete with battling wizard, naked kung fu fighting women and a giant female statue come to life shooting laser beams.

TEN TIGERS OF KWANG TUNG--Thought the subbed version would be an improvement but....no. Very difficult to make it through this stew of half-baked ideas. The fights are good and some wholly creative death scenes are the only repeat factor for me.

THE BIG STING--Horrible, horrible movie from Lu Chin Ku. No point in this film existing. Only point of interest is seeing Beardy disguised as an over-sexed arab.

SEX BEYOND THE GRAVE--Starts out like gangbusters but after the first 15 minutes it deteriorates into a confusing mess appearing as if the makers shot two different movies at once and couldn't make up their mind what they wanted. Love the Anglo priest who exorcises the house with the same phrase over and over again, "Get out!!!"...."Get out!!!"

I'm sure there's others...

battling wizard, naked kung fu fighting women and a giant female statue come to life shooting laser beams.
Oh, what? How did I not know about this?

*Orders movie*

*Orders movie*

:D:D:D Don't get too excited. It's near the end when all that really OTT stuff takes place. I was totally expecting something else from this movie. YueH Hua is in it too. Some really out there sex scenes too such as Yueh Hua's fascination with one woman's crumpled feet as he's furiously having sex with her. I forget the actress. I know that back then the crumpled up feet was viewed as attractive but here it's just tasteless.

NINE DEMONS isn't Shaws and is thus disqualified. :cool: (Haven't seen it myself though...)

Whoops. What was I thinking? :eek:

It was still garbage though.

Save 2 hours of your life and avoid this dreck.

(I should've listened to you on 'A Life of Ninja' but I watched it anyway .. crap!)

At the end of NINE DEMONS, there's a big battle on a "lake" where the combatants wear makeshift ski's and fight Ricky Cheng and the demon kids. Then the fight abruptly jumps to a fight atop a series of bamboo shafts that appear from out of nowhere above the "lake". Maybe the success of MIRACLE FIGHTERS rekindled his interest in fantasy after his failed attempts with NA CHA THE GREAT, HEAVEN & HELL and FANTASTIC MAGIC BABY?

At the end of NINE DEMONS, there's a big battle on a "lake" where the combatants wear makeshift ski's and fight Ricky Cheng and the demon kids. Then the fight abruptly jumps to a fight atop a series of bamboo shafts that appear from out of nowhere above the "lake".

Aw man - I never made it that far. I watched the first half and never went back.

Now, I just GOT to see this...!

It's not saying much, but I enjoyed NINE DEMONS far more than that awful ATTACK OF THE JOYFUL GODDESS. If I remember right, Chiang Sheng plays a girl in that movie.

Mr. Vampire

all of y'all need to go and watch the two Mr Funnybones films from SB, if you think those films are bad.

Whilst Journey Of The Doomed, Siamese Twins and The Pure And The Evil were terrible, I think Blood Brothers is the worst Shaw I have seen. Absolutely abysmal.

Guest Markgway
Whilst Journey Of The Doomed, Siamese Twins and The Pure And The Evil were terrible, I think Blood Brothers is the worst Shaw I have seen. Absolutely abysmal.

Surely not the Chang Cheh classic???????? :eek:

But yeah SIAMESE TWINS was arse.

I didn't think Ten Tigers Of Kwangtung was that bad. Should probably have been split into two movies instead of trying to combine the different storylines, and there were a bit too many stars versus screen time, but the action choreography is phenomenal. I really enjoyed the final fight as well as the one in the teahouse between Wang Li and Siao Yuk(?). It's one of those movies I can watch over and over again.

*Orders movie*

This movie was WACKED OUT. Kara Hui is in it for a minute. People turning into donkeys after having sex. A female ghost who kills a dude for having premature ejaculation. The reincarnation of horny broads. Foot fetishes. This film has it all.

I fell asleep 3 times today trying to watch the Magic Blade.

I think you have a sleeping disorder if you also fell asleep during Clan Feuds!

I think you have a sleeping disorder if you also fell asleep during Clan Feuds!

Clan Feuds knocked me out, too. Zzzzzzzz.

venomsfreak
It's not saying much, but I enjoyed NINE DEMONS far more than that awful ATTACK OF THE JOYFUL GODDESS. If I remember right, Chiang Sheng plays a girl in that movie.

Agreed. Attack of the Joyful Goddess gave me a headache with that endless cymbal banging. And yes Chiang Sheng was either a transvestite or a very ugly woman.

Clan Feuds knocked me out, too. Zzzzzzzz.

Wow. Some fierce fighting in this one and some fan-tabulous sets to match.

Archived