Bloody Parrot (1981) - Is this the worst Shaw Bros movie ever made?

magicpoe

I searched for a thread on Bloody Parrot but I couldn't find one, so I created one.

Here are the first 9min 57seconds of Bloody Parrot. Squint really hard and enjoy.

Standard disclaimer here: This is just the first 10 minutes of a really bad boot, but the movie is excellent.

xHttd97dtXk

Excellent use of the Electro-Harmonix Echoplex in the first couple of minutes.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I simply cannot wait for the remastered (hopefully uncut) version of this film to arrive at my door. One of my all time favorite martial arts films.

Guest jmungus

reminded me of my kid from kwangtung copy i`d tried to watch the other night :x :P

thx 4 the preview from me too. looks like the great fun im kind of expecting. one of the approx 20-25 remaining must have titles on my most-wanted-shaws list.

(dropped my 2 cents about director hua shan in the portrait in crystal thread already).

Guest Live Wire

Watched the clip from You Tube yesterday. Hard to follow but from what I saw it seems to be interesting. Is it more a horror movie or more swordsplay?

The first nine minutes are nothing. Wait till you see this flick. This film equals Human Lanterns in it's very own way. Probably the two best examples of horror/martial arts films made by Shaws. These sorts of classic films are extremely rare to come by.

Though judging the recent (bad) attitudes toward the classic Shaw films, this film will probably be terribly put down. ;)

Guest Tosh
This film equals Human Lanterns in it's very own way.

Well that piqued my interest! along with those pics, thanks Mahsingyi.

Guest BKarza

BP rolls along strong...until. They get to the snake pit, underground lair, mirror section. It's long, pointless and reeks of a lack of any real ideas. Picks up with the finale then the Shaw "take it home/what?" ending.

That flawed section aside, I love it. That Human Lanterns comment thingy, scrunched me face up. Just may have caused premature wrinkling.(on top of the wrinkling that PiC may have caused)

I agree putting it on equal grounds with Human Lanterns is making a very strong assertion for it to live up too, but I think this film does come very close to just that. If not on the same level then I'd declare with "unwavering confidence" that this film comes only second to Human Lanterns in the horror/martial arts genre.

I definitely disagree about the snake pit and the ending. I felt the set used for the finally scenes were great. Very reminiscent of Web Of Death only darker and more eerie. There's alao a lot of ambient scenes with a frog here, a cobra there, a lizard over there, these little touches down in the dark, gloomy pit, add a great deal to making the intended atmosphere tangible.

Chan Shen has a great fight scene in this film. In fact the choregraphing of the fight scenes is great.

The film kinda gives me an impression of, if Chu Yuan decided to cut back a little on complexity of plot, so as not to convolute the storyline too much, and decide to actually try and scare the living sh#t out of his audience with a few scenes in particular... the possession of the young girl, he may have trancended to the director of Bloody Parrot's overall delivery. With absolutely no disrespect to Chu Yuan, I own almost all his pre - 84 flicks, but what we have here is an EXTREMELY cool flick.

Guest oldeschool17

mahsingyi, where did you get screencaps of this and other dvds that havent been released?

Vengeance, Hua Shan directed this one, not Chu Yuan

No you misunderstood me. I know that. I was exemplifying a comparison between the two directors.

Brigadier Chow

OK, I got it Vengeance, my mistake.

Those images look like they are from the original lobby cards.

No way Markgway. SEX BEYOND THE GRAVE is the PLAN 9 of Shaw Brothers movies, IMO. BLOODY PARROT is bad, but taken as sheer exploitation, it delivers in spades.

***************SPOILER AHEAD********************

Granted, by the end, it's revealed there is no supernatural elements at all but yet no explanation is given as to why Jenny Liang gets possessed by a demonic force earlier in the film.

ironfistedmonk

I thought Bloody Parrot was alright! There are a few I consider a lot worse such as Journey of the Doomed, Descendant of the Sun, Buddhas Palm, that one with Lee Hoi Sang with bright red hair riding a giant disco ball, I forget the name

that one with Lee Hoi Sang with bright red hair riding a giant disco ball, I forget the name

I think that's DEMON OF THE LUTE (1983). I didn't watch the entire movie, though at least not yet. DESCENDANT OF THE SUN I liked for the insanity factor.

I'm only 52m thru BLOODY PARROT but it has me wondering...??

Squakkkk.. Marky wanna cracker??

Haven't seen any of these films but for me ...

"The Shaw Razzie Award" goes to ...

NINE DEMONS!

Good gravy man! Chang, what-were-you-thinking? (or smoking??)

Killer Meteor

I thought Challenge of the Masters was my least favourite, but as far as quality is concerned, Ten Tigers Of Kwantung was pretty wretched - good fun though

Guest Markgway
No way Markgway. SEX BEYOND THE GRAVE is the PLAN 9 of Shaw Brothers movies, IMO.

I've yet to have the (dis)pleasure. :P

BLOODY PARROT is bad, but taken as sheer exploitation, it delivers in spades.

I'm sure the dreadful Jenny Leung was cast purely on her willingness to show her pubes!

Granted, by the end......

Lol, so it gets WORSE??? :eek:;)

Guest Markgway
I thought Challenge of the Masters was my least favourite, but as far as quality is concerned, Ten Tigers Of Kwantung was pretty wretched - good fun though

Not a big fan of either of those... but yikes they're classics compared to the shit we're talking about.

NINE DEMONS isn't Shaws and is thus disqualified. :cool: (Haven't seen it myself though...)

Some of those 80s wuxia are pretty weak granted, but PARROT is REALLY badly made. It looks like the work of rank amateurs. Or to quote Delroy Lindo in GET SHORTY: "I've seen better film on teeth!"

MasterDrunk

Teako,dunno weather its shaw brothers or not {it does say shaw scope on the cover] But Nine Demons {Nine deadly venoms on my double bill} was the weirdest maddest diabolical film ive ever seen in any genre,had the odd nightmare after watching it.Still sends a shiver down me thinking about it.

Archived