Challenge of the Masters (DVD - Media Blasters)

Shaolin Patriot

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

I have a couple of questions related to this release:

1. During the fight between Lau Kar Leung and Gordon Liu, does anyone notice an annoying "bell ringing" sound as they're fighting? When was this added to the audio? Was it in the original release? It's so badly done. I'm assuming it was supposed to be the sound of Pop's spear, but you hear the clanging of that bell even when he's standing still!! Also, it kind of sounds like voices were added on top of the existing 'uhs' and 'ahs' during that fight scene. Kind of messy.

2. In the interviews with Chen Kwan Tai, I notice he speaks Mandarin. Not just on this disk, but also on the previous Tokyo Shock DVDs that had him. I thought he was raised in Hong Kong, which would have made his language choice Cantonese, wouldn't it?

KFS

Killer Meteor

That bell sound is on the mono Australian DVD. Mind you, Shaws by that point had for some reason gone really down hill in terms of foley

kungfusamurai
That bell sound is on the mono Australian DVD. Mind you, Shaws by that point had for some reason gone really down hill in terms of foley

That's too bad. It sounds like the sound effects person was 1 minute to lunch break or quitting time, it was so badly done.

KFS

This might be one of the best produced dvd's of its kind, but Challenge Of the Masters is one boring movie. Oh well, if it doesn't sell it can always be repackaged as a sleep aid. 9 PM & it knocked me out.

This might be one of the best produced dvd's of its kind, but Challenge Of the Masters is one boring movie. Oh well, if it doesn't sell it can always be repackaged as a sleep aid. 9 PM & it knocked me out.

Blasphemy !:o:mad:

just joking XD but to me thats one of the best kung fu movies ever ...

if u ever start practising hung kuen watch the movie again and then u understand why...:P

I think the subs here are just by & large a rewording of the IVL subs, which is dissapointing. I don't know why they keep saying "pao" in the subs. Why not just translate the word? It means firecracker. Also, there are some signs that get no translation. There is a banner at the film's opening that has no translation & I think fans would have liked to know what the "rules for pao" written on the sign board at 7:27 were about. Another company ingoring the fans & taking shortcuts...will they ever learn?

I actually just watched this for the first time about two nights ago. It was only slightly above average when compared to most other SB flicks that I've seen but my buddy and I enjoyed it. We couldn't help but make a bunch of gay jokes with the whole "win your enemie's heart" nonsense but I still liked it and don't mind having it in my collection.

crazedjustice888

I always REALLY liked this movie, not for the fights, but for the teachings and training that holds it up. As a martial artist, regardless of style, one can truly appreciate the teachings on humility and the like. I don't know...I just have a soft spot for the movie...:smile:

• Administrator
I always REALLY liked this movie, not for the fights, but for the teachings and training that holds it up. As a martial artist, regardless of style, one can truly appreciate the teachings on humility and the like. I don't know...I just have a soft spot for the movie...:smile:

I'm with you on this one. I'm a romantic, sentimental guy, and I found the message quite moving. Perhaps it does not seem very realistic in this cold, modern world, but it can't hurt to strive for these ideals.

Killer Meteor
I actually just watched this for the first time about two nights ago. It was only slightly above average when compared to most other SB flicks that I've seen but my buddy and I enjoyed it. We couldn't help but make a bunch of gay jokes with the whole "win your enemie's heart" nonsense but I still liked it and don't mind having it in my collection.

Speaking of gay, that bit when Gordon bows down to Lau Kar-wing, who hastily raises him again with a "I was joking" is framed so oddly it looks like Gordon is about to give him head! And of course, there's Cheng Hong-yip topless and coated in oil...did Chang Cheh direct this on the quiet?

The Mandarin version did bore me rigid on the Aussie DVD but the Cantonese and English versions on the new DVD made it much easier to enjoy. Even so, I find it rather anemic at best.

crazedjustice888
I'm with you on this one. I'm a romantic, sentimental guy, and I found the message quite moving. Perhaps it does not seem very realistic in this cold, modern world, but it can't hurt to strive for these ideals.

A person can always try...lol. Whenever I spar, I try to offer a helping hand to help them up if I win. If I lose, I will always tell them what great techniques they were using. Sportsmanship could be viewed as the main way to get across that message from the movie.

• Administrator
A person can always try...lol. Whenever I spar, I try to offer a helping hand to help them up if I win. If I lose, I will always tell them what great techniques they were using. Sportsmanship could be viewed as the main way to get across that message from the movie.

Hmmmm, for some reason I don't think that sounds "gay", just mature and kindhearted.

Hmmmm, for some reason I don't think that sounds "gay", just mature and kindhearted.

Wow, maybe we are two of a kind but not only does that seem mature and kindhearted, but also a great way to help someone improve on something that they have made a part of their life.

As for the movie......it's not of of Lau Sifu's absolute best movies, but the fighting is first rate and the meaning behind the story is very moving.

crazedjustice888

When people ask me for a good movie to watch, I always point to this one. This movie could be an introduction into the old school kung fu movies, training, fighting, teaching, revenge, but also to the actual fighters. My Sifu in FL absolutely ADORES this movie. She said it was one of the best she has ever seen for the same reason a lot of us think so. The teaching behind it.

Seems many are divided among this film... I finally watched it for the first time roughly a month ago, and enjoyed it. And yeah, not many Shaw Bros martial arts films show forgiveness and respect as an option. I think this was more of a Lau Kar Leung staple, while Chang Cheh was more "kill first, ask questions later". Hey, nothing wrong with a little variety, some you kill and some you smack on the wrist with a ruler :tongue:

Speaking of gay, that bit when Gordon bows down to Lau Kar-wing, who hastily raises him again with a "I was joking" is framed so oddly it looks like Gordon is about to give him head!

Yes, my friend and I burst out laughing at that scene.

kungfusamurai

I like this film. Lau Kar Leung was still finding his legs as a director. The fact the final fight wasn't at the end was a little bit strange, perhaps genre breaking, like having the hero die early in Executioners From Shaolin. But overall, it was a nice flick, and a great addition to the Wong Fei Hung legend.

KFS

Archived