Challenge of the Masters (DVD - Media Blasters)

Shaolin Patriot

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

Hmm, this one could really benefit from better subs and the dub, cause the IVL version keeps sending me to sleep

mantis FIST

One of my favorite LKL films! What kung-fu there is rules! Even some of the fighting in the fire works festival scenes. Like most LKL films top notch training scenes as well! I like LKL's death kicks and killing spears!

I will be picking this one up, if I can find it.

Link to what appears to be the 3rd release from Media Blasters Shaw acquisitions:D. Believe this is Lau Kar leung's debut starring Gordon Liu, Chen Kwan Tai, Lau Kar Wing, Wang Yue and even the director himself.

Great movie, maybe not the best Gordon/Lau collaboration, but extremely good. And of course it also stands out because it's about Wong Fei Hung! :cool: It set the tone for the training films that Leung would go on to make. Some people aren't really that into it, not that much action, but I loved it. It's just one of those quintessential Kung Fu films.

It's also up there with Martial Arts of Shoalin and Monkey Goes West as some of the most underrated Shaw films IMO.

One of my favorite Liu Chia Hui's flix. I'll definitely be picking up the dvd comes release day. Here's hoping Media Blasters uses a progressive source.

chen lung

Ta bobo.

I'm not a huge fan, but the scene prior to the pao competition is a rather touching moment (without sounding too extreme).

It's not one I'd ever ignore. It's still entertaining and worth of a purchase I'm sure.

Ta bobo.

I'm not a huge fan, but the scene prior to the pao competition is a rather touching moment (without sounding too extreme).

It's not one I'd ever ignore. It's still entertaining and worth of a purchase I'm sure.

Not bad at all! I love the training sequences, it's one of those movies that almost nobody goes CRAZY for, and yet nobody has any true complaints. It's just a well balanced film. It's almost as I said before, "quintessential", except for the fact that there's no real threat, no set enemy. Some are turned off by that.

FrankBolte

This is my my favorite movie from lau Kar leung..i think if u practise the art of hung kuen it will give it a bit of an extra push..absolutely brilliant film which goes beyond the typical kung flick..this movie has a deep message about mo duk (martial virtue) and is very hung kuen specific which could be the reason why many dont have this on top of their list..for me though this is my favorite ... and one of the best wong fei hung movies.:D

Thanks for posting artwork.

Where's the others that carry the film? Is that image of people in the film?

Not the way I'd do the artwork, but something about it I kinda like :).

Spiritual Boxer was Lau Kar-leung's directorial debut

I watched the film recently (bluegh!) and forgot about it - what an idiot.

Ta for the correction.

Yeah, man. Funnily, didn't notice it - kinda blended in, but it's still false.

I wish MB would provide contact details and reply. I hate it when a company tries to do stuff themselves without acknowledging people's enquiries (with exception to certain details Linn provided) - it can lead to amateurish authoring, etc.

I hope they get 'The Master' right as I like the movie.

DrunkenMantis13

Wow! Media Blasters covers are straight awful. Image and even DD have much nicer covers...

But still, this is an obvious buy for me, as with 90%+ of the R1 releases. Doesn't hurt that i REALLY like Challenge of the Masters, such a classic!

The cover art isn't that bad. At least we'll have the movie un-cut on a quality Region 1 release!!!

This is my my favorite movie from lau Kar leung..i think if u practise the art of hung kuen it will give it a bit of an extra push..absolutely brilliant film which goes beyond the typical kung flick..this movie has a deep message about mo duk (martial virtue) and is very hung kuen specific which could be the reason why many dont have this on top of their list..for me though this is my favorite ... and one of the best wong fei hung movies.:D

Agree 100% with this post above. I used to not hold this movie in that high regard, but seeing it again years later I see it in a different light. A morality tale with a lot of heart at its core. Gordon Liu delivers one of his finest performances. I really felt bad for him when he wanted to learn martial arts but his father wouldn't let him. His saddened look speaks volumes about his character which comes through even more during his training period with CKT's character. The message CKT gives Liu about always be a novice--just when you think you've attained mastership, you soon learn you aren't as good as you thought you were. Humility, discipline and maintaining a humble composure are paramount over the usual blood and revenge scenario. The ending itself during the firecracker festival when the antagonist team uses unfair methods and Wong Fei Hung brings his team to victory, he gives up the prize to the villains. Giving kindness to ones enemy to win their respect. I haven't watched it in some time. The film belongs in any serious martial arts film fans collection, IMO.

it hasn't shown up where i live in canada----but still i'm not really surprised as every shaw bros movie no matter which company its from shows up late here.

Shaolin Patriot
It is Anamorphic with the original English dub. As w/the master, they included the intro w/out the opening credits. It's also anamorphic. It also has 2 interviews w/Chen Kuan Tai

Does it also include the original trailer?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

It's great to see and hear a new interview with Chen Kuan Tai, but he isn't much on elaborating. The interviews almost feel like a tease for something more.

I watched the Pops vs Gordon fight, and it looks fabulous. A worthy upgrade from my IVL DVD me thinks.

Archived