For those in the NYC area....

Jstn

....while the topic of bootlegs is on my mind, I figured I'd ask this question. In New York City, there are many shops which sell a lot of kung fu movies: what are the chances of finding legite movies there? Or is it all a sham, loaded with nothing but bootlegs? Just curious...thanks all.

jstn

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of store that sells legit Kung Fu Movies.

Best Buy, Circuit City, J & R, etc.

Alot of the store in China Town sells both legit & bootlegs. There is one store on the Bowery & Canal (most of us who frequent the area knows it so I won't mention any name) That have an entire shelf of Red Sun Shaws & right next to it are the legit Shaws.

The things you have to look for is:

1 - The name of the company on the package/case - Redsun, Panmedia, Xenon would all be boots.

2 - Some places have a region 1 version of the IVL Shaws - we all know....

3 - Some movies would have a dub track - when no bud track was included with the official release.

4 - Having a movie weeks before it official release (including Asia market release).

5 - Look at the packaging - the artwork - I have seen packing that looks exactly like the legit ones, but there is something wrong with the artwork - photocopy, "bleeding", etc.

6- Most importantly you have to "educate" yourself on which companies are legit - Media Blasters, IVL, Tokyo Shock, HKL, Image, Dragon Dynasty, Joy Sales etc. etc etc & which are NOT.

ALL legit companies will have their "stamp" on the packaging so you can identify them.

BTW - I just came from my 99cents store & they had a copy of Clan Fueds - The company on the back was Bonzai Media Corporation - I was curious & it was only 99 cents so I picked it up. I combed thru their dvd section & that was the only thing they had. I haven't pop it in yet.

I wanted to take some pictures of the back of the DVD case where company name & the version/details of the movie - region, language, etc. to show the difference. But the pics are not coming out clear - it's night time & there isn't much lighting - I will try during the daytime. Maybe someone with a better camera can take some pics & post them - I am trying it on a 2.0MP, my niece took my 10.0MP with her on a trip.

I started a thread & posted some scans - both legit & bootleg back covers in the discussion section as this would be a better section for it than the Classic Martial Arts section.

Lai Ying on Canal only sells legit. The other stores have some boots but mostly legit. One on canal has an English Kung Fu section which is RS lol.

No, its run by George Tan and there stuff is worse than a steaming pile of Bolo Yeung's shit after a big ass dinner!

Sorry, for the graphic content, its just really hard to convey how bad Video Asia is.

LOL

I actually have the soundtrack for that movie, walking to Kumite is just total badass. I also have No Retreat No Surrender and Kickboxer (complete with score a song OST) lol

Paul Hertzog (who did Bloodsport and KB) did some nice synth scores that have quite a HK feel to them and seems like they would work great in HK films (it helps that Bloodsport was film in HK).

I started a thread & posted some scans - both legit & bootleg back covers in the discussion section as this would be a better section for it than the Classic Martial Arts section.

I'll check that out, thanks a lot for the info thekfc and everyone else. :)

Archived