The Blade, Tsui Hark. TWO versions ?

Guest Jmstoic

I bought the VHS version about 9 yrs ago from the U.S. Tai Seng letterbox version Cantonese/Mandarine with English subtitles the quality is perfect. this is one of my most favorite movies. I don't know if this is what you meant by orginal VHS?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't which forum is best for this question. Sorry if this one is not it.

I originally viewed The Blade by Tsui Hark in 1997 on VHS. This version is stunning. Excellent subtitles, some of the best I have ever read in any subtitled movie. They advance the story along and are full of philosophical interpretation.

However, I just purchased The Blade on DVD (no year on box), of which there is two (one for England which is supposedly inferior though I have never seen it, the other is released for everybody else in the world) and it is NOT the same as the VHS version I saw eleven years ago. The score is dramatically lower in volume. The subtitles are horrendous; make little sense and do not possess a deeper meaning (laughable if they didn't ruin movie).

I was wondering if anyone else has seen both and knows how to get their hands on the 'original' VHS version. Ideally, I'd like to own it on DVD, but the 'original' version may only exist on VHS.

For those of you who know what I am talking about please help. I would love to recommend this movie to everybody, but the newer version just doesn't cut it. It is a shame that people may only have been exposed to the newer and not the 'VHS' version.

The DVD copy I own has a Red Sun logo as the only identifying production mark. It is NOT a black market, I know what those look like.

Thanks for your help!

I got feedback from the guys at HKflix, but they didn't know of the existence of any other copies. They refered me here.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but what you call the VHS version is that not the VCD version that were sold in Asia in the late nineties ? I purchased it there (HK) and think it is excellent if you overlook the fact that its quality is VCD level. I do not like my DVD version. I tries to purchase a set of the VCDs as a gift 2 years ago, but its status were " not available from source for the time being ". I will recheck my connections now , will VCDs be acceptable for you if it is not on DVD ?

Athena

• Administrator

VCDs usually look terrible.

There was a VHS version released by Tai Seng- it's sitting about ten feet away from me on a shelf- and that's exactly what he meant by VHS.

VCDs usually look terrible.

There was a VHS version released by Tai Seng- it's sitting about ten feet away from me on a shelf- and that's exactly what he meant by VHS.

Yes Sir, I have the VHS too ( but I no longer have a VCR). But as far as I remember they are the same version. A lot of early Tai Seng VHS were transferred from VCD originals from what I were told. Sorry if I expressed my self unclear, English is my 2ND language.

Athena

• Administrator
Yes Sir, I have the VHS too ( but I no longer have a VCR). But as far as I remember they are the same version. A lot of early Tai Seng VHS were transferred from VCD originals from what I were told. Sorry if I expressed my self unclear, English is my 2ND language.

Athena

No problem. :wink: Hope I didn't come across as rude.

To my eye, that particular VHS did not appear to be sourced from a VCD. I've seen plenty of their tapes that had a shoddy appearence, but I thought the tape for THE BLADE looked like a nice clean picture. But it's still possible, and very likely, that the VHS and VCD were sourced from the same place. Hmmmmm....

Hi Kung Fu Bob

To thank you for your incredible friendship and to reciprocate your kindness/generosity, a complimentary copy of The Blade has been shipped to you by registered air. Hope you like the print as much as I do.

Archived