Human Lanterns may be uncut

gfanikf

well Image at least will be showing something different from the IVL, but maybe its just the transfer Momentum got.

Swordplay, savagery and blood-chilling thrills reign supreme in this outrageous mixture of martial arts and the macabre from Shaw Brothers! Two rivals, one rich and the other poor, enter an unholy pact to win an annual lantern-creating contest in their village; however, the terrifying secret behind their remarkable creations lies within the supple flesh of local maidens, who are disappearing at the hands of a demonic assailant! Now featuring shocking scenes too extreme for its Asian DVD release, this unflinching action-horror masterpiece is now finally available to American audiences to enjoy full strength and full throttle!

Its from the Image website

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oldeschool17
well Image at least will be showing something different from the IVL, but maybe its just the transfer Momentum got.

Its from the Image website

I think a comparison is in order when this drops in June. Does anybody know of the actual differences between the IVL and Momentum release?

Cut Details, but I think it's still going be based around the 2nd new version (with possible frame-cuts) and miss those 25 seconds seeing it's doubtful Celestial will put it through the rounds a third time.

Unless it's composited together with the two?

oldeschool17
Cut Details, but I think it's still going be based around the 2nd new version (with possible frame-cuts) and miss those 25 seconds seeing it's doubtful Celestial will put it through the rounds a third time.

Unless it's composited together with the two?

well the momentum version has more scenes intact than the IVL, so thats a plus but a shame they couldnt just include all of the damn movie. Why IVL or Momentum felt the need to cut this is beyond me.

well the momentum version has more scenes intact than the IVL, so thats a plus but a shame they couldnt just include all of the damn movie. Why IVL or Momentum felt the need to cut this is beyond me.

IVL cut nothing. All the other boots floating around of this movie were the same as what was restored by Celestial for the Asian market.

oldeschool17
IVL cut nothing. All the other boots floating around of this movie were the same as what was restored by Celestial for the Asian market.

hmm, well then i dunno. :D

Oldschool17 has a valid point.Compare the Momentum Asia copy of Human Lanterns to the IVL version.

Oldschool17 has a valid point.Compare the Momentum Asia copy of Human Lanterns to the IVL version.

I think it was spannick who compared those in my link.

Is this quite a violent film?

There's differences between the two because the IVL is the DVD released for the Asian market. There were two different boots of HUMAN LANTERNS floating around and both are the exact same to the IVL DVD.

Just like WATER MARGIN with the added sex scene for the US version at the behest of Roger Corman. Just because a scene is missing from a certain movie doesn't necessarily mean it was 'cut' as different versions are created for different markets.

The UK release is great quality apart from it being non-anamorphic which is absurd in this day and age.

Get into High Definition..Bargains here!

The UK release is great quality apart from it being non-anamorphic which is absurd in this day and age.

Get into High Definition..Bargains here!

Well not if say Celestial only sent them a non-anamorphic transfer and they only had fake ones.

Killer Meteor

I don't know. Momentum got a non-anamorphic Spirtual Boxer, whilst Siren got an anamorphic one.

I think Momentum got non-anamorphic regardless of what everyone else got. I expect you have to specify non-anamorphic in the contract

I don't know. Momentum got a non-anamorphic Spirtual Boxer, whilst Siren got an anamorphic one.

I think Momentum got non-anamorphic regardless of what everyone else got. I expect you have to specify non-anamorphic in the contract

Was Siren's a really anamorhpic transfer or a blow up?

Killer Meteor

Siren's deal was to get anamorphic where Celestial had it. Since this was prior to the HD masters, Celestial only offered some titles in non-anamorphic - I guess IVL made everything anamorphic themselves, as did the Germans

Momentum got non-anamorphic regardless which suggests they didn't specify it. Siren's Spiritual Boxer is genuine anamorphic

All rather silly really

There's differences between the two because the IVL is the DVD released for the Asian market. There were two different boots of HUMAN LANTERNS floating around and both are the exact same to the IVL DVD.

Just like WATER MARGIN with the added sex scene for the US version at the behest of Roger Corman. Just because a scene is missing from a certain movie doesn't necessarily mean it was 'cut' as different versions are created for different markets.

Although Celestial might not have cut the related scenes themselves per se the point is the uncertainty whether the IVL DVD release was the same theatrical cut shown in Hong Kong or Taiwan.

The fact that Momentum Asia got the most complete version to date raises eyebrows though there are rumours that a fully uncut version will eventually be released in the United States.It will also be good to know the origins of the two different versions identical to the IVL DVD release and their major differences.

Just found this on YouTube today

nOUJDwoetjw

I have the IVL and Momentum releases and this is not on either one of them. Oh if only Image would include this.

DrunkenMantis13

If Image releases the same version as Momentum, i'll be happy as long as it's Anamorphic. But if they manage to release a full uncut (which means at least all footage of the 2 available Celestial releases) copy, i'll probably wear out the DVD in a couple weeks! ;)

I just doubt it. I'm sure it will be the Momentum cut...

HK Flix state in their SF section: 'The Skin Peel Scene (Alternative Take)' in an annoying attempt to pass it off as not being in the actual film when it should be (probably one of those bitchy situations Celestial are known for), even though the DVD has all the footage.

gravedigger666

Awesome movie..vengeful,insane lanternmaker is one of most memorable characters ever.some great fights too,I bet lo lieh was doubled in some of those more acrobatic movements:confused:

oldeschool17
Awesome movie..vengeful,insane lanternmaker is one of most memorable characters ever.some great fights too,I bet lo lieh was doubled in some of those more acrobatic movements:confused:

Hate to break your heart but stars like Ku Feng, Ti Lung, Fu Sheng, Chen Kuan Tai, David Chiang, Wong Chung, Yueh Hua, Wang Yu, Derek Yee, Wang Lung Wei, etc have body doubles for acrobatic moves.

Guest Markgway

The HK Flix listing says this: "Now featuring shocking scenes too extreme for its Asian DVD release, this unflinching action-horror masterpiece is now finally available to American audiences to enjoy full strength and full throttle!".

oldeschool17
The HK Flix listing says this: "Now featuring shocking scenes too extreme for its Asian DVD release, this unflinching action-horror masterpiece is now finally available to American audiences to enjoy full strength and full throttle!".

Still leaves room for interpretation based on that hype. Watch it just be a momentum port

Archived