Obscure Shaw recommendations

venoms5

Watched a handful of lesser known titles over the past few days with many of them being very interesting films that I'd recommend to those wishing to see something a bit different.

HEROES OF THE UNDERGROUND (1976) Ling Yun leads a group of revolutionaries fighting against the Japanese in WW2. They plan to steal some secret military maps to hand over to the Chinese military. The heroes have underground bunkers with which to meet and discuss their plans. During the explosive finale replete with machine guns and lots and lots of grenades, the title comes into play as the heroes and villains have a last stand inside a cave mined with explosives while the revolutionaries fight the Japanese alongside the mountain. The movie opens with a bit of action but the main set piece doesn't come until the final 20 minutes. Everything in between is all espionage and suspense. Similar to Chang Cheh's THE ANONYMOUS HEROES (1971) only on a smaller scale.

THE SILVER FOX (1968) Tien Feng (in a sort of good guy role for a change) plays an ambitious kung fu student who steals a Dragon Claw Palm Strike manual only to have the situation manipulated by his colleague who was involved in the theft in the first place. Tien Feng is crippled, his master killed and his wife kidnapped and raped by his conniving colleague, Tien goes into seclusion taking his child with him. An average Wu Xia with lots of drama and average sword fights. Chang Yi is on hand but the film definitely comes to life during the final 25 minutes when the players descend on a hidden cave within a mountain peppered with all manner of deadly traps--spikes, spears, boiling oil, a big axe bladed trap that threatens to separate head, arms and legs and several other things. Also, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is recalled in one character wearing a mask to conceal his face. The mask is very well done and is molded into the visage of the actor wearing it. A decent swordplay film that also throws in some fantasy elements. Nothing overly special mind you, but the finale made it worthwhile.

THE FASTEST SWORD (1968) Peri recommended I watch this as soon as possible and I agree with everything he says about it. An excellent dramatic swordplay film. This movie has lots to say and says it oh so well. Very Japanese in some ways and very thought provoking. Not your typical Shaw swordplay actioner about The Southern Blade (Ding Meng Hao) being deemed the 'Fastest Sword' and all the doomed swordsmen who approach him for a chance to defeat him. An eccentric old man meets him near the beginning and defeats the Southern Blade and he must do as the old man wants for a number of years. While with the old man, he puts him through a number of tests which ultimately builds character and humility. A major change comes over Ding Meng Hao and he no longer wishes to kill or duel with ambitious young swordsmen. He tries many times to live a life of solitude and finds trouble and violence at every turn. Just when things are finally taking a turn for the better, the Northern Blade shows up looking for Ding Meng Hao requesting a duel with him. A fascinating movie made by a director not known for doing swordplay movies. This is drama first, action second. The action scenes are often very good and take on a feel of a western film married to a chambara movie. The final duel is very long and shot extremely well. Highly recommended.

THE BROTHERS (1979) is a classy crime drama from underrated director Hua Shan. About two brothers from a poor family-Danny Lee and Liu Yung. Lee joins the army while Yung makes ends meet in a ship yard before being initiated into a criminal organization. Shades of BOXER FROM SHANTUNG are apparent but drama and action are blended nicely. Lee comes home and is assigned to the police to help quell two warring gangs in town. He learns his brother is a leader in one of the gangs and tries to get him to surrender. The finale takes the formula route upping the violence factor. Some more than striking similarities to the later A BETTER TOMORROW (1986) are very noticeable. Really good movie that throws in some religious subtext that speaks on those who grow up in the church and those who don't. I'm not a religious person but it was interesting to see this sort of thing in a movie of this nature.

BROTHERHOOD (1976) is another great crime movie from Hua Shan. Whereas THE BROTHERS accentuated the character interplay, this film highlights lots and lots of violence. In fact, the level of violence is often times on a par you don't see too often in these movies. Taking a cue from THE TEAHOUSE movies, everything is amped up. Liu Yung delivers possibly his best fight scenes utilizing a variation on the Chained Whip and one striking fight atop a roof as a plane passes over dangerously close. The movie starts off as a serious gangster film then later mutates into an ultra violent version of FATAL ATTRACTION. Highly recommended.

ASIA-POL (1967) is a spy adventure starring Jimmy Wang Yu before he hit it big in OAS. A Shaw-Nikkatsu co-production, there was obviously some money spent here. Dealing with the Asian Secret Police Force, Wang Yu is a member of this secret organization trying to bust up a Japanese smuggling ring. Peppered with Japanese stars, this one is different from usual Shaw spy flicks with its absence of OTT story angles and wild villains. There's still some traces of that though. The bad guys love blowing people up in cars and buildings. Nice attack by helicopter opening. Some really good action scenes, too. Recommended for Wang Yu fans and those seeking an alternative to kung fu.

SUMMONS TO DEATH (1967) is an extremely fun spy caper from Lo Wei whose Shaw movies were vastly different from his output outside the studio and that's a good thing. The movie starts out like a pirate caper then quickly segues into a Bondian spy flick with Tang Ching oozing charisma. I absolutely loved his house. It reminded me of those old "House of the Future" cartoons with all the gadgets and panels of buttons which perform various elaborately OTT functions throughout the house. It's about the search for some buried gold. The ending wimps out just a bit but overall a very fun movie and I can't believe I passed up on a tape of this years back. Probably just as well as I wouldn't have enjoyed its charms as much as I do now.

Some more coming soon...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot for the reviews. I'm very interested in Heroes of the Underground and The Brothers. I think i'm gonna buy them together with Gun Brothers.

I love Summons To Death. Tina Chin Fei and Fanny Fan are both endearing and unforgettable. Would have loved another actor in the lead though.

I love Summons To Death. Tina Chin Fei and Fanny Fan are both endearing and unforgettable. Would have loved another actor in the lead though.

I liked Tang Ching quite a bit. He's grown on me a lot lately. I think he would have been better in ASIA-POL than Wang Yu. It just didn't seem like his kind of movie.

Watched FLIGHT MAN (1973) last night and what an enjoyably strange movie this was. An obscure basher with a compelling story and interesting characters. Wang Jung was great as the hero. The director employs some very odd camera angles shooting low from the ground through much of the film. The fights are undercranked more than usual and the choreography is quite nice for the time. The only problem and it's a minor one is that the film kind of just stops. It ends but considering how good everything else was I was expecting a little more for a final scene. Some of the most unusual and beautiful cinematography I've seen in one of these movies and nearly the entire film is shot outdoors in exotic settings. The music is also unusual and unlike any cues I've heard save for a brief snippet or two. The film is an anti-Japanese story about a righteous and hot tempered young man who kills a Chinese working for the Japanese when he uncovers a plot to have him murdered. He flees into the mountains and meets up with a native girl (Ivy Ling Po). The Japanese are hot on his trail though. Tsai Hung has a brief bit as a Japanese fighter with a whip. The characters often have overzealous reactions to situations but this only adds to the quirkiness of the production. I can't stress enough the beauty of the cinematography. Stunning. A very odd Shaw Brothers basher movie with an interesting story and a great performance by Wang Jung. There's two dance numbers too but this is not a musical and these two scenes fit in with the nature of the film in detailing the lives of the mountain natives. Probably not for everybody but definitely recommended as a curiosity piece. I couldn't make out who the fight choreographer was in the credits but the fights were right impressive for the time.

I got these yesterday. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

TO KILL A JAGUAR- Hua Shan

THE CALL GIRLS- Cheng Kang

THE MURDERER PURSUES- Wang Chung

THE MOBFIX PATROL- Wang Chung

LIFELINE- Johnnie To

THE MONKEY GOES WEST- Ho Meng Hua

THE SHADOW BOXER- Pao Hsueh Li

THE SILENT SWORDSMAN- Kao Li

SWORDSMAN AT LARGE- Hsu Cheng Hung

THAT MAN IN CHANG-AN- Yen Chuan

KING GAMBLER- Cheng Kang

THE GOLDEN SEAL- Tien Feng(!)

INVINCIBLE ENFORCER- Cheng Kang

CALL TO ARMS- Shen Chiang

THE DUEL OF THE CENTURY- Chu Yuan

DESTINY'S CHAMPION- Sun Chung

THE MAGNIFICENT SWORDSMAN- Yueh Feng, Cheng Kang

KING CAT- Hsu Cheng Hung

I like Shadow Boxer and Call To Arms but not Invincible Enforcer and King Gambler.I prefer Challenge Of The Gamesters to King Gambler.

I got these yesterday. Anybody have any thoughts on these?

TO KILL A JAGUAR- Hua Shan

Don't know.

THE CALL GIRLS- Cheng Kang

Sitting unwatched.

THE MURDERER PURSUES- Wang Chung

MP's alright, it's not the greatest Shaw modern day flick, but it's solid enough for a watch, kind of forgettable, kind of like The Informer, good murderous turn from Wang Chung's crazier looking bro, if I'm not mixing up my modern day Shaws. He's probably the best thing about it. Shaw's usual '80s modern day guys in this one - that skinny dude with glasses who crops up in all of them, and that desperately edgy looking Parkman Wong fella, keeping things solid.

THE MOBFIX PATROL- Wang Chung

Now this one's way more like it - same typical crew on board as the above, but sooooooo much better. Much better film, kind of par this one with Men From The Gutter quality wise - not better, but different enough with a few similarities. You can see Lam Nai Tsui's influence on the cinematography from the off - real nice camera shots and feel (in 1:85), just quality. The bad guys in this are baaaaaaad. We're talking proper MANIACS. Just crazy folk. There's no real big action or fight pay off in this flick though, but they're trying to give the violence a bit more realistic gravitas - despite the COMPLETELY OTT nature of the bad dudes. Properly unhinged, as maniacal as Shaw maniacs get. Great film.

LIFELINE- Johnnie To

Don't know.

THE MONKEY GOES WEST- Ho Meng Hua

Love it - best watched in tandem with the other Monkey flicks. Got a Saturday matinee feel to it - just good fun. Great effects, well paced - kind of how you'd expect a '60s Shaw to do the monkey king tale without letting you down.

THE SHADOW BOXER- Pao Hsueh Li

Really dig this one, nicely shot, like the incorporation of tai chi. Not much more to say really. Solid.

THE SILENT SWORDSMAN- Kao Li

Don't know.

SWORDSMAN AT LARGE- Hsu Cheng Hung

Don't know.

THAT MAN IN CHANG-AN- Yen Chuan

Good swashbuckling fun. Kind of an Errol Flynn-ish type feel to the dungeonous castle-like swordplay action. Scenes with our Man running about masked black clad are good (as usual these old swordplays). Is the beginning cut? Seems like a jarring one at the off if memory serves me well. Not great, but good for a swashbuckle.

KING GAMBLER- Cheng Kang

Don't know.

THE GOLDEN SEAL- Tien Feng(!)

I swear this film has the single greatest stage direction of any Shaw I've seen. The way the director moves the actors in and out of frame/shot, positions them, cues them, is just artful. So well done. Just gives the film a wonderful balletic sweep. Tien Feng KNEW how to move his actors. I'm not talking action wise really (action's great though), but just generally. Balletic timing. Plus the semi-nude Amazonian girl is fun. Great action film for the ladies getting busy this one; good story... Love this film. Tien Feng got skills!!!

INVINCIBLE ENFORCER- Cheng Kang

Hey, I like it more than Kidnap. But it's definitely not that film's match... if you get what I mean. A bit more schlocky. Nothing brilliant, but solid prison fare stuff, a bit of grit, a bit of schlock, a bit of brutality, silly 'prisoners pretending to be dogs for gambling' shenanigans, intelligent rats (check the rat/bucket hiding scene - hilarious!). Cheng Kang did way better, but I like this one. Chan Shen's a rum cove here! Fat guy from Fast Fingers, etc. getting his ass inspected for contraband scene is rank as you like. Bleeuugggh.

CALL TO ARMS- Shen Chiang

Good flick, splices in grand footage from Last Woman Of Shang to spice up its obviously way more budget status. Yuen Woo, etc. on choreo does decent job, kind of a low-rent Devil's Mirror without the intensity if memory serves me well. I like the flavour of this one - its nooooo classic, but fun enough. Love the finale with the giant weird metal things.

THE DUEL OF THE CENTURY- Chu Yuan

Alright - bit of a Chor Yuan schnoooze fest, but I like his '80s stylings more than his '70s ones. Might be a bit weird that way. Marginal stuff. End with the paper circles is a bit.... hmmm...

DESTINY'S CHAMPION- Sun Chung

Oh, Sun Chung... What the hell is this, man??? Where's the flare?? Someone must have ghost directed this INCREDIBLY cliched flick. It's just... hghghghghg. I mean I enjoyed it, but how could this film be like this? Weird. I mean, he was still way more than flavoursome around this time - '84-ish I think - but here, noooo. Heard this was a film he made trying to get his own filmmaking enterprise going - well he left all the flare well behind here. More than curious.

THE MAGNIFICENT SWORDSMAN- Yueh Feng, Cheng Kang

Don't know.

KING CAT- Hsu Cheng Hung

It's alright. Didn't grab me lots - a few fun scenes, walking up a wall; up on rooftops - there's a great shot on a boat on a wicked Shaw set with Lo Lieh, but I found it just solid. Needs a rewatch though, but I'm not too fussed to pursue that.

Cool, thanks Peri. I'm watching MAGNIFICENT SWORDSMAN (1968) now and I'm digging it lots! Very Japanese in some of the shots. Obviously a remake of SEVEN SAMURAI (1954). I'm only 30 minutes into the movie right now. Huang Chun Shun as a good guy!!!

Hey, wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on Young Lovers On Flying Wheels. I've staved off this one, but guess I should be curious, what with Ti Lung directing and whatnot...

Also curious any thoughts on the Criminals flicks, just because.

Hey, wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on Young Lovers On Flying Wheels. I've staved off this one, but guess I should be curious, what with Ti Lung directing and whatnot...

Also curious any thoughts on the Criminals flicks, just because.

I'll get to them in due course. I got 41 Shaw movies through the mail so it will take some time going through these. Seriously, this MAGNIFICENT SWORDSMAN is must have material. Huang is so much like Katsu's Zatoichi character (without the handicap). This movie oozes brilliance.

MAGNIFICENT SWORDSMAN (1968) deals with a lone swordsman (called the Weird Swordsman) who wanders into a small village terrorized by a vicious gang. You learn that this man's entire family has been killed presumably by this gang but in fact, it's a character played by Tien Feng (in another evil role) who uses a whip. Shu Pei Pei is the young woman who befriends him. The entire village wants him gone as they feel his presence will bring about the destruction of the village. The gang demands he leave and that the villagers hand over 3,000 taels of silver for compensation for the gang members slain. They do but the gang attacks anyway. The swordsman of course, hasn't left and confronts the gang alone. The villagers finally come out to deliver the killing blow to the last villain standing. Shu Pei Pei is really good here portraying a meek and helpless woman. You feel really bad for her as she's slapped around, bullied, cursed, kidnapped and almost outcast by her own people. The box erroneously says that the hero recruits additional fighters to deal with the gang but this isn't true. There's only one. The ending appears to be cut in one shot. When the villagers descend on the last villain with all manner of implements there's a jump in the music and blood is visible on their weapons as they surround the dying bad guy. A great little movie and a shock to see Huang Tsung Chun as a hero as I can't remember seeing him in such a role in the past. Definitely highly recommended to swordplay fans. With two of Shaw's greatest directors at the helm, Yueh Feng and Cheng Kang, how can you go wrong?

Oh, forgot to mention, Ching Miao is memorable as the maniacally cackling lead villain of the gang. He uses a huge chain with a large, heavy pointed spike on the end.

Most of Venoms5's list are worth a look (some rather good, actually) but ASIA-POL is awful. Seriously.

Didn't think this was awful at all. What was awful about this movie? IMO, one of the best spy capers they did and it would seem the biggest budget wise. The only problem (and it's a minor one) I had was with Wang Yu. Somebody else would have been better suited for the role here. Loved the Japanese gangsters here with their shades and villainous looks. Although I don't know much about them, this film reminded me of some Fukasaku and Sezuki gangster flicks.

Watched Ti Lung's directorial debut YOUNG LOVERS ON FLYING WHEELS (1974). It wasn't too bad at all. The movie starts off with an air of prat-fall comedy then alternates between comedy and semi-serious drama. Ti Lung's character only wants a motorcycle (and wants one real bad) and after losing out on one as the prize in a martial arts competition, he goes about finding any means to obtain his two wheeled machine. He eventually goes to a loan shark which leads to inevitable trouble. The film is basically a series of related incidents--trials and tribulations Ti Lung's character finds himself in. Things go badly for him the bulk of the picture but he's finally redeemed at the end. With Chang Cheh as producer I was expecting the film to veer off into violent territory after Ti is assaulted by the loan shark and his men but this doesn't happen. A decent movie and debut from Ti Lung but IMO, David Chiang is the better director of the two 'Iron Triangle' actors.

One to definitely stay away from is THE BIG STING (1983). Directed by Lu Chin Ku I was expecting an action comedy but there's no action to speak of. In fact, nothing much happens at all. The comedy is funny at times especially Beardy dressed up as an over sexed Arab. The rapport between him and Liu Yung is the only thing worth noting in this movie but it's not enough to give this one a chance. Lee Hai Sheng is on hand and humiliates himself as is Wong Yu. The movie doesn't even really end, it just stops. The film itself deals with some crooks trying to steal back a sacred artifact lost in a bet from their family. The back of the box says it's a 1997 film but it's actually 1983. The opening scene reveals the numbers on a door to a hotel room to be 1997 though. Save for the funny stuff with Beardy as the Arab guy, this is an awful movie.

Cheers Venoms. Wasn't expecting TL would be up to par with Chiang behind the camera, possibly able to do better than Mad World Of Fools though, but Wheels sounds worth a dabble then. Avoided it so far; think One Way Only kind of put me off Shaw biker based flicks, not that I'd imagine they'd be similar, just not that fascinated by such subject matter.

Note taken on Magnificent S.

BTW, peri, when I ordered MAGNIFICENT SWORDSMAN, it wasn't listed in the 'M' category. I had to type it in the search function. I don't know why it isn't included with the other Shaw's.

I'll hunt about & find it. YesAsia had it (now out of stock), but to further complicate matters, under the title of 'Magnificent Wordsman'... hmm.

ironfistedmonk

I'll add my recommendation for Magnificent Swordsman, Wong Chung Shun as the good guy was surprising as I have only ever seen him as a villain. Probably his best performance and the story is told really well, some nice visuals, very entertaining stuff this.

Watched CALL TO ARMS (1972) over the course of the past two days. It took 4 tries to make it through the scant 78 minutes. Lots and lots of court intrigue dealing with the warring states. The sword fights when they come are quite good. Bolo plays one of the main villains at the end but I don't recall seeing him die. Loved the huge hammers being hurled about and Wang Hsia gets one right through the chest. Very forgettable movie although there is some nice set ups overall it's nothing memorable. THE RESCUE (1971) is my fave of the 6 Shen Chiang movies I have.

Watching THE SILENT SWORDSMAN (1967) and this is really good so far. Great cast with Huang Chun Shun, Chang Yi, Chiao Chiao, Shu Pei-Pei, Tien Feng and Yuen Siu Tien. 30 minutes in right now...

THE SILENT SWORDSMAN (1967) A traitorous general conspires with the enemy to invade China. The Sun Moon Sect learns of and two of the clan leaders sneak into the generals quarters. One is captured and beheaded while the other escapes but is soon caught and tortured. The other clan members in turn kidnap the conspiring general in hopes of making an exchange. The women are all gorgeous especially Yu Hui. Shu Pei-pei gets naked or possibly a double as you do not see her face but if it is in fact her, she has a stunning backside! Chang Yi gets caught between the affections of both these beauties whom live with their tribe (Persians?) in a small village. In addition to what appears to be a totally original soundtrack, there's a few songs and a dance number by the villagers and Chang Yi belts out a brief tune whilst practicing his sword at night before being interrupted by one of the two sisters lusting after his affection. Lo Lieh is seen briefly as a soldier who is injured by Chang Yi. Chang also has a lethal fan in his arsenal which houses some deadly darts. Huang Chung Shun is evil as can be and Tien Feng plays a white haired hero(!) Gorgeous locations and the usual fine Shaw studio sets as well. A sprawling and top class swordplay film and recommended for Wu Xia fans. A very pleasant surprise and a film that deserves a wider audience for serious fans.

THE GOLDEN SEAL (1971) The Sun & Moon Sect figures into this movie as well only here they're villains. Not sure if there is some relation between the sect here and the one seen in THE SILENT SWORDSMAN (1967). Anyway, Ku Feng is the leader of the bad guys and Tsung Hua is the swordsman avenging his father's death. Huang Chung Shun has a cameo at the beginning as a good guy. Directed by actor Tien Feng, it's a standard Wu Xia at the start but soon develops into a modest character piece. The action picks up furiously at the conclusion with a very good final battle. There's a bit of nudity courtesy of a strange Amazon woman who shows up midway through. I kept falling asleep watching this not because it was boring but because it was around 3:00 am so details of the story are sketchy for me at the moment. Interestingly, the music used in the US version of THE WATER MARGIN (1972) is present here but has words to go along with the instrumental. The same instrumental can be heard in THE SWIFT KNIGHT (1971). Recommended if you want to see a story based Wu Xia movie as well as fans of the actor/director who are curious how he'd handle working behind the camera.

Archived