The Red Circle

Milkyway

Orlando Bloom eyed for 'Circle' role

By Karen Chu

April 15, 2008

HONG KONG -- Director Johnnie To is eyeing Orlando Bloom to star in "Red Circle" for France's Studio Canal, a spokesperson from To's production shingle Milkyway Image said Tuesday. While an offer has gone out to the actor, negotiations have not yet begun.

Film is a remake of the 1970 Alain Delon crime thriller "Le Rouge Cercle." Longtime To collaborator Wai Ka-Fai ("Mad Detective") is developing the script under the helmer's supervision.

Chow Yun-Fat is are in negotiations to co-star in the Media Asia co-produced project, which has a reported $40 million budget and is tentatively scheduled to start production in June in Hong Kong and Macau.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i721645931ea9e846ac78bdc87b93d7ee

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Red Circle is a GREAT film. 2008/2009 will be the time of french film remakes. Pacino is doing a modern Rififi. For the KF fan, make sure to see Delon's Le Samourai. That is one amazing movie.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Ooooh! I'm not a big fan of remake, but the idea of To making a Melville movie is very sweet... The original was great and Melville influenced a lot this generation of Hong Kong filmakers. I am extremely anxious to see this.

Ooooh! I'm not a big fan of remake, but the idea of To making a Melville movie is very sweet...

I'm with that. To is always reliable and always deliver with his movies. not sure how he will do justice to the original, but if he wants to go for his own way then that's good too. we shall see.

On one hand it's a shame, because i would like to see what To would do with a Melville-derived source, especially in the context of him eclipsing Woo as an action auteur. Since Woo already remade Melville's best noir, I'm really curious how a To remake of Melvilles second-by-a-hair best noir would compare to it.

On the other hand, the idea of this undertaking involving Orlando Bloom in any shape or form is vomit inducing, so maybe it's for the best.

true. actually, I think it makes for the best. Now To will have time for his more promising projects, especially Death of a Hostage.

To fans rejoice! THE RED CIRCLE is still happening

A few months ago, Liam Neeson suggested in an AICN interview that Johnnie To’s remake of Jean-Pierre Melville’s legendary LE CIRCLE ROUGE was effectively dead in the water. This was of course a sad moment for a lot of us, because I count myself among the people who believe that if there is anyone even capable of remaking Melville - or rather, the only one who should be allowed to touch the source material - it’s To. However, there was never an official confirmation of the cancellation, and quite the opposite - subtle signs pointed to the fact that the remake was still in development.

Well, an interview with To conducted by The Hollywood Reporter today confirmed that yes, THE RED CIRCLE is still in development after all. It’s just taking a lot of time, it seems. Or, in the words of To himself:

THR: Early preparations started on “Red Circle” and then stopped. Is the picture ever going to happen?

To: It needs time. I’m not satisfied with the script and if I’m not satisfied nobody else is going to be. But it is absolutely one of my priorities as you can see (points to the wall where script notes are plastered.) “Death of a Hostage,” which is a Hong Kong production through Media Asia, is probably what I’ll shoot next. Then, hopefully, “Red Circle.”

This leads me to believe that it’s possible Neeson and co. jumped ship simply because To wasn’t going anywhere yet soon. But if you look at it from another perspective - it’s good that To is being so extremely perfectionist about it, because that’s what a Melville remake deserves. Additionally, there is one more reason to be happy about THE RED CIRCLE’s messy and difficult birth: In the Cannes presskit for VENGEANCE - which you can grab here - producer Michele Halberstat hints at the fact that VENGEANCE would never have seen the light of the day if it wasn’t for THE RED CIRCLE’s production delays. Two sides to every coin.

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/to-fans-rejoice-the-red-circle-is-still-happening/

Two years later, Dark Horizons has reported that James Mangold will be directing this after he wraps up THE WOLVERINE. Producer Arthur Sarkissian wants to get either Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, Brad Pitt, or Matt Damon to play the role originated by Alain Delon.

Now that it crossed my mind I think Christopher Nolan and his team would be great choices to have it made, with Christian Bale and Tom Hardy in two of the lead roles.

It's six years later and there is a new update on the long gesturing Red Circle remake. Tarik Saleh will be directing the remake and will revolve around two escaped criminals from the West and an ex-Hong Kong cop who plan an elaborate heist while trying to avoid a local crime boss and a relentless police investigator. Steven Knight wrote the script, which Saleh will polish up before casting begins. (Deadline)

Archived