Man of Tai Chi (2012)

AlbertV

OpiumKungFuCracker
Personally, I think the fights are better than 90% of the shit we get to see these days. They're crisper and far more complex then seeing a flurry of trick kicks in slow motion. There's decent exchanges here.

It's not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination but if you've been stuck watching bollocks like "King of the Streets" and Corey Yuen's recent output then this is definitely a step up.

Again, it's not a good film but I think the fights are well choreographed and for 90 minutes of cheesy entertainment you can do much, much worse. I'd actually watch it again.

That is exactly what I'm looking for cheesy good somewhat action martial arts film and as for Keanu Reeves, I like the guy. Sure he may not be the best actor to ever graced the screens but the dude makes highly entertaining films. As for King Of the Streets, I can see where you're coming from and not all will enjoy the film as a passable C grade MA movie. I didn't hate the movie nor did I like it but it was passable and it entertained me. If you say this is better than King Of The Streets, well my anticipation meter just went up by 1.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheGrimReaper

@OpiumKungFuCracker: I've downloaded from a torent site a week ago, where I live such movies a rarely being shown in theaters.

Back onto fight scenes - the few first (when our main guy is in tournament in China) were acceptable, but nothing special, but after the middle of the movie itself the fights became more and more stupid and boring, the final bout is so unsynchronized, that I almost start to laugh seeing how Keanu was trying to match Chen Hu's moves...

It is my opinion only - some may like it, some may not, but for me this movie is on the bottom of martial arts genre, no wonder that after Man of Tai Chi I watched The Raid & Fist of Legend, to quickly forget the director's attempt by Keanu (and to see some quality fighting).

Peace and have a nice night :)

P.S. Ok, it is slightly better than Badges of Fury, if this would help ;)

OpiumKungFuCracker

I liked it. I can understand some will find the Iko Uwais fight a little underwhelming but I understand where Keanu was going with the story. Good use of sound/editing, really dug the cinematography, the fight scenes entertain me and I wasn't bored so that's a good thing. Did it reinvent the wheel? Nope, but it stayed within its genre and supplied all the good stuff I liked about the genre. This movie reminded me of a lite version of The Truman Show, how bizarre is that? The story that is with the reality/hidden camera show and all that. So yeah this is a passable very light martial arts movie. I'd give it a B-

OpiumKungFuCracker
I may be old school I guess, but i like to buy the DVDs and support the movie. I download everything else except the martial arts movies

Well when you put it like that, you make me feel like a scoundrel:tinysmile_angry2_t: I stopped buying dvd's a month ago because I've decided to try to see everything on the big screen .

That's supporting still! I download all other movies. But buying the DVDs does come with its flaws. Sometimes I buy a DVD and end up hating it! I purchased "wind blast" before I watched it and I wasted my money. It will never get another view. But man of tai chi (from what I have seen on YouTube) has enough good fights to make it a re watchable part of my collection

I finally saw this:

It was a really good movie. My only complaints are the wire use, it was completely unnecessary. It was real good up till the first of it(really noticeable), then it distracted my attention. Although didn't ruin it for me, it would lower my review score a couple of points. Where it would have been perfect without it. Just my thoughts without ruining it for anyone.

I highly suggest watching it though, I even bought it. If that helps anyone. :P

I saw it this morning

Just posted my review on the main site...for a directorial debut, it was good :)

Watched this last night and it exceeded my expectations. Not a spectacular flick but better than most recent MA offerings. 3.5/5 stars.

Archived