Man of Tai Chi (2012)

AlbertV

sifu iron perm
Let's hope these movies don't let the genre down! I'm especially worried about RZA's movie being a failure seeing as it cost what was it $20 million? That could have massive implications on martial arts cinema ever being successful in the West as studios decided its not worth the risk.:squigglemouth:

I have faith in the project/film from the RZA and hopefully the advertising will pull in folks who admire the genre then name attachments sucha s Tarrintino, Roth etc.

Plenty of folks suggested this will be a straight to dvd flick.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have faith in the project/film from the RZA and hopefully the advertising will pull in folks who admire the genre then name attachments sucha s Tarrintino, Roth etc.

Plenty of folks suggested this will be a straight to dvd flick.

A $20 million straight to DVD Flick! I would be seriously concerned if that was the case as it should at least get a small theatrical run, unless its seriously bad. besides if it doesn't get released theatrically what kind of advertising campaign is It going to have?

Drunken Monk

Is it me or does this make the idea of this film even more exciting?

-zHlY3P25aA

Also, it looks like there is solid choreography work going on here!

Drunken Monk
It ALL comes down to the editing!

True, but this, at least, suggests Reeves is trying to do something to interest fight lovers.

TibetanWhiteCrane

True, but if he's not actually a part of the editing process then all that initiative could be for nothing.

Let's hope not.

ShaOW!linDude

Nice find, DM. That's pretty sweet. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. No doubt the editing will be key in how well the fights come across.

I recently watched Transporter 3. (I don't know why, maybe to see if it was as bad as I remembered.....it is.) The fights in that come across as if edited by someone jacked up on nicotine, caffeine, and amphetamines. It's so hyper-edited that I'm sure it would send an epileptic into seizures. And a shame, too, because some of the choreography looked good. I'll take a Bourne movie any day over that.

If Keanu can stay away from that and properly showcase the movement and choreography, it'll be quite an achievement.

Using the Bot and Dolly camera system is an interesting way of shooting action. As long as I can see the movements, I am happy.

Guest Yi-Long
Just saw this article/video on twitchfilm.com about Man of Tai Chi:

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/06/kung-fu-proof-of-concept-for-keanu-reeves-man-of-tai-chi.php

I'm actually pro this camera system! It will hopefully show more of the choreography/action instead of nauseatingly cutting every second!

I thought the same thing. It reminded me of the camera in this video: http://vimeo.com/43455552

IF used well, it could be one of the greatest things for martial arts cinema ever.

IF done completely wrong and OTT, it could be extremely nauseating, giving everyone a severe case of motion-sickness ...

Maybe this will be a modern variation on the classic "long take" choreography of the old school MA films. It's nice to see he's pretty damn serious about this.

Drunken Monk

In pulling up this film on IMDB, it claims the action director is Yuen Woo Ping, while the actual fight choreographer is Jon Valera.

What does this mean exactly? That we won't see Woo Ping's choreography at all?

Drunken Monk
Anticipation just skyrocketed.

You took the words right out of my mouth. This could really and truly be the Hollywood kung fu film we have all been waiting for.

A great camera concept, a protege of Yuen Woo Ping as the star and choreographer, Iko Uwais on board and, most importantly, 40 minutes of fighting!

You took the words right out of my mouth. This could really and truly be the Hollywood kung fu film we have all been waiting for.

A great camera concept, a protege of Yuen Woo Ping as the star and choreographer, Iko Uwais on board and, most importantly, 40 minutes of fighting!

I don't know, I'm not completely sold based on the talent Iko Uwais joining a Hollywood production. There seems like too much interest in fancy technology when some well-placed and still cameras can capture the awesome moves of the stars designed by creative choreographers, to make breathtaking martial arts movie sequences just as well as multimillion dollar technology. if it isn't broken, why fix it?

OpiumKungFuCracker

Iko Uwais is in this now??? I'm hoping he gets significant amount of screen-time like 90% of the time...

Drunken Monk
I don't know, I'm not completely sold based on the talent Iko Uwais joining a Hollywood production. There seems like too much interest in fancy technology when some well-placed and still cameras can capture the awesome moves of the stars designed by creative choreographers, to make breathtaking martial arts movie sequences just as well as multimillion dollar technology. if it isn't broken, why fix it?

I'm in partial agreement but from what I've heard I can't help but have high hopes. Who knows? It might be a step forward for martial arts cinema.

Iko Uwais is in this now??? I'm hoping he gets significant amount of screen-time like 90% of the time...

The article said he would be fighting the protagonist.

odioustrident

So this is a tournament film that will probably showcase silat as one the styles given Iko's involvement? Sounds like the people behind this have decent sensibilities at the very least.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Iko as a bad guy??? His boyish looks?? Should have gone with Tony Jaa or Yen as the antagonist but will see???

Drunken Monk
Iko as a bad guy??? His boyish looks?? Should have gone with Tony Jaa or Yen as the antagonist but will see???

I can actually see him as a bad guy. More so than Jet Li, weirdly enough.

I'm in partial agreement but from what I've heard I can't help but have high hopes. Who knows? It might be a step forward for martial arts cinema.

who knows you might you be right but I can't help but feel more be gained from learning from the past than the flash over edited MTV generation. By the way I think you're right and he would make a good bad guy and nothing makes the hero look better than a strong villain!

Here's a little background on Tiger Chen Hu in the form of a pretty interesting interview...

XnYGytmCf0I

Has anyone seen "Kung Fu Man?"

Archived