Man of Tai Chi (2012)

AlbertV

While in Seoul promoting his latest movie Street Kings, Keanu Reeves, during an interview, becomes especially excited on the mention of Yuen Wo Ping. He says he met Yuen Wo Ping, whom he addresses as master or Eighth Master in Cantonese, in Beijing around half a year ago to discuss about a kungfu movie, tentatively called Tai Chi Tiger. He'd play a villain character. Tiger Chen Hu will play the lead as a Tai Chi master.

Keanu Reeves says that it's still in scripting stage and that the film will be shot on location in China. He'd show the script to Yuen Wo Ping upon completion and hopes that Yuen Wo Ping would direct it. A few months back, Keanu Reeves was in Sichuan scouting locations with Tiger Chen.

On being enquired, Yuen Wo Ping says that he's very happy and look forward to collaborating with Keanu Reeves, but clarifies that he'd only be the martial arts director. The film will be directed by Tiger Chen himself, in other word, its going to be directorial debut of this young member of Yuen Clan. Yuen Wo Ping adds that he has also invited Keanu Reeves for another project to be shot next year.

Tiger Chen Hu was seen in House of Fury as the superkicking villain Tiger, who was part of Rocco's team with Philip Ng, Josie Ho, Winnie Leung, and Jon Foo. People mistakenly thought that Tiger was played by Wu Jing, but it was actually Tiger Chen Hu.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yi-Long

Never heard of Tiger Chen Hu before, but seems like it could be fun.

I know many disagree with me, but I think Keanu did a good job in The Matrix movies, martial arts wise. He was a bit stiff and awkward looking, but he has no background in martial arts, and you saw him improving with each movie, and he probably worked very hard at it. SO it shows he has the right hardworking attitude towards it.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/488-Keanu-Reeves-Woos-Yuen-Wo-Ping-with-A-Kungfu-Movie-Starring-Tiger-Chen.html

Tiger Chen Hu has been working behind the scenes mostly since joining Yuen Clan when Yuen Wo Ping went to US. He was Keanu's coach in Matrix series and also made a brief appearance in the stairway fight in Matrix Reloaded. Keanu plans this movie as a form of tribute to Tiger Chen.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4881d94f01000dve.html

He was supposed to be in Li Feng's directorial debut but the movie had some issues with copyrights and there seems to be no further development (maybe aborted?).

Good news in some aspect. The movie is moving forward. Keanu Reeves has been working with Tiger Chen Hu and together, scouted locations for the movie in 2007 and now it looks to be back on track. The film has undergone a name change to from TAI CHI TIGER to KUNG FU HERO (still tentative).

Chen is quite a kicker as he showed some nifty kicking skills in House of Fury as villainous henchman Tiger but is also a Tai Chi expert. He actually lived in the U.S. for a while and lived with Tang Soo Do master Dominic Giacobbe. I found a 1997 issue of Black Belt Magazine in which he performed a Tai Chi demonstration at a tournament. First chance I get I will scan the picture of Chen.

Back to "Kung Fu Hero". Lucy Liu may co-star and has been studying under Chen Hu. It also looks like there may be three possible directors: Yuen Woo-Ping, Yuen Cheung-Yan, and Chen Hu. Han Sanping is slated to produce and Keanu Reeves is one of the executive producers.

Earlier today, a press conference was held for KUNG FU HERO

Ning Ying and Yuen Cheung-Yan are directing the film.

And I have learned that TAI CHI TIGER is going to be made and is not KUNG FU HERO. They are two separate films.

"Woah."

Sounds interesting...Yuen is still kind of wire-crazy still and it's hard to imagine Tai Chi II with Keanu Reeves, but hey, maybe it's a modern-day piece.

Lot of Tai Chi movies being made, I like it.

I have to say I can't see the point in Keanu Reeves playing the lead villain in a martial-arts movie. As good as he did in the Matrix movies, relatively speaking, I would rather see a talented on screen martial artist particularly in the final showdown of the movie. And let's be honest he doesn't exactly bring great acting skills either. Regardless though I am still curious to see how this turns out.

18 fights, or 40 minutes of fighting, nice!

I'm not the biggest Keanu fan, but it seems like he's actually passionate about this, hopefully it turns out well. It's been ages since we've had a good Tai Chi movie.

ShaOW!linDude

Agreed.

Hopefully any wire-work will be kept to a bare minimum. It would be great if it is a true showcase of the many styles of tai chi: chen, yang, nei chi chuan, etc.

Keanu playing the main villain doesn't fill me with confidence. That leaves me thinking the movie finale will be anticlimactic.

Keanu playing the main villain doesn't fill me with confidence. That leaves me thinking the movie finale will be anticlimactic.

I thought he was just directing it?

Oh well.

One Armed Boxer
I thought he was just directing it?

The article that ShaOW!linDude posted states that he is going to direct as well as playing the lead villain.

I have hope, he already proved he`s capable of performing decent screen fighting from the Matrix movies under the direction of Yuen Woo Ping, and people like Liam Neeson have proven that age need not always be a factor in performing fight scenes in the movie `Taken`.

Reeves already has a passion about martial arts movies, which makes me think he will give it 110%, especially if he is directing and writing as well, but lets see how it turns out.

The article that ShaOW!linDude posted states that he is going to direct as well as playing the lead villain.

I have hope, he already proved he`s capable of performing decent screen fighting from the Matrix movies under the direction of Yuen Woo Ping, and people like Liam Neeson have proven that age need not always be a factor in performing fight scenes in the movie `Taken`.

Reeves already has a passion about martial arts movies, which makes me think he will give it 110%, especially if he is directing and writing as well, but lets see how it turns out.

You could well be right but I do feel that the villain needs to be at least equal to the hero, which I really doubt. personally I would have less qualms if the roles were reversed as the other guy would make Keanu look better. let's hope his passion for martial art movies is shown on screen with lots of great fights, where we actually get to see the action and isn't edited poorly.:smile:

ShaOW!linDude
You could well be right but I do feel that the villain needs to be at least equal to the hero, which I really doubt. personally I would have less qualms if the roles were reversed as the other guy would make Keanu look better. let's hope his passion for martial art movies is shown on screen with lots of great fights, where we actually get to see the action and isn't edited poorly.:smile:

Well......I understand your point, still......

I think it boils down to character development and the quality of the choreography. Keanu has the potential to play a good villain especially if the character's a ruthless and competently seasoned fighter.

I pray he has the sense to surround himself with good choreographers and avoids quick-cut editing.

One Armed Boxer
I think it boils down to character development and the quality of the choreography. Keanu has the potential to play a good villain especially if the character's a ruthless and competently seasoned fighter.

I pray he has the sense to surround himself with good choreographers and avoids quick-cut editing.

If I remember correctly it was one of the Yuen Clan members that was due to choreograph, and also star alongside Reeves, the movie - Tiger Chen - who was one of Keanu`s martial arts teachers for the Matrix as well as choreographing some of the fight scenes.

If that`s still the case I guess he would be playing the lead character, which would be good news from the perspective of him being a fully trained screen fighter. It would also be refreshing to see a Chinese versus Westerner finale that doesn`t involve ridiculous patriotic overtones from China`s side, and the Westerner being some monosyllabic meat head.

I would take the claim of 18 fights taking up a total of 40 minutes with a pinch of salt though, it simply doesn`t seem reasonable for a mainstream targeted movie, with or without China backing. It could be a case of `Bodyguards & Assassins` syndrome, with that movies famous claim of containing "an hour of non-stop action"! They really got me with that one.

Completely agree on the quick-cut editing, as far as I`m aware this style originated, in it`s most recent form at least, from the Bourne movies, where it was put to excellent use to really throw you into the desperation of the fight....from there other film makers seemed to utilize it to cover up their actors lack of real screen fighting skill, which in many a movies case got to the point where it was literally impossible to tell what was going on (`Bulletproof Monk` is my best example of this)....but somehow from there it seems to have actually become a trend where even if there are skilled fighters and choreographers, this technique still gets used for the fight scenes, quick-editing is really the scourge of modern martial arts film-making.

I would love to be as optimistic as you guys but as you both state it's a Western movie that will no doubt be targeted to a largely Western audience. I would also love to eat my words when I watch this filmand sincerely wish this film turns out to be something special. But let's face it Hong Kong has a history of awesome martial arts action movies and have been fobbing us off with popstars. I'll keep my eyes open for opinions from you guys hoping for good reviews.

Update: As many know from another thread (http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15842), Keanu Reeves is currently working on casting his directorial debut MAN OF TAI CHI. He went to Hong Kong to train once again with Yuen Woo-Ping, who has now been called in as the film's martial arts choreographer. Along the way, Keanu ran into Jackie Chan.

This is from Jackie Chan's official website

48180_201111240130492.thumb.jpg

And the two stuffed pandas are La and Zy, Jackie's pandas that he takes with him when he travels. LOL

Great, now we have to worry about Yuen Woo Ping bringing the goods too. I haven't been impressed by his recent choreography (even in his own film, "True Legend"). I'd be more excited to see Corey Yuen on board (I really enjoyed his choreography in "Shaolin").

Hopefully, Keanu Reeves has a respect for the genre that will result in something Western audience and true kung fu fans can enjoy.

Twitch has reported that Karen Mok (aka Karen Morris) has won the female lead role in MAN OF TAI CHI. All we know is that she is a police officer.

I know most know her as Karen Mok and the reason I put her AKA in, is because her real name is Karen Morris. She used her real name in the credits for Jackie Chan's AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS.

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/universal-boards-reeves-man-of-tai-chi

Universal Pictures has jumped on board to co-finance and become international distributor of MAN OF TAI CHI. I believe Univeral also plan to release RZA's MAN WITH THE IRON FIST. Looks like they are jumping on the martial arts bandwagon.

Let's hope these movies don't let the genre down! I'm especially worried about RZA's movie being a failure seeing as it cost what was it $20 million? That could have massive implications on martial arts cinema ever being successful in the West as studios decided its not worth the risk.:squigglemouth:

Archived