Unbeaten 28

teako170

Watched this poor man's version of 36 Chambers the other night.

It was OK - better than 18 Bronzemen I thought.

But what is the deal with the title?

Maybe I nodded off but what is it referring to...?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Love this movie. You are right it is a poor man's 36th chamber, but I would still call it one of the ultimate training movies. And that endfight with MArk Long is pretty special.

I don't know what's up with the name of it. Doesn't make any sense.

Love this movie. You are right it is a poor man's 36th chamber, but I would still call it one of the ultimate training movies. And that endfight with MArk Long is pretty special.

I don't know what's up with the name of it. Doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, very happy about that end fight and the fact that Mark Long was in it.

I rented the MPI tape of this years back and thought it had something to do with the tests Meng Fei had to go through. Maybe the guy responsible for international distro got the export title wrong. Wasn't there more than 28 "Chambers"? I assume the DVD is sourced from this VHS?

Anyone have some infos about the dvd editions? I need to pick this up but first i'd like to know what quality differences to expect between the EH (ntsc) and MIA (pal) dvd's. Or perhaps there is some other dvd version out of this that i don't know of?

Morgoth Bauglir

I have the Groundzero version. The dubbing is hilarious. All of the actors literally scream their lines. Pretty good pic quality, but fullscreen.

I remember seeing a wide version on youtube.

^i have the same version as morgoth.. i think the version on youtube was home made as ground zero i believe has put out the only copy of this film in the US at this time

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm pretty sure there's a wide version out there. I think it's from the UK. Somebody will know...

Your'e not making it easy for me, guys :). I will eventually be forced to get both (or perhaps even all 3?) versions of this.

That part about hillarious dub with screaming actors sounds like a sure buy just for that fact :D Makes me think of some IFD/Asso Asia movies for some reason.

I have the Groundzero version. The dubbing is hilarious. All of the actors literally scream their lines.

"I just come here to fish."

"You just come here to fish?"

"...for one BIG fish and two little ones."

"I'm use to killing pigs. Let me slit his throat!"

"Don't pretend you're a BIG fish... because you're NOT."

:D

SPOILERS

I agree, the finale was good but the last sequence was awful with Mark in his batcave pressing all his little gadgets to try to kill off Meng Fei all the while the damsel in distress screeches TIGERTIGERTIGER over and over and over and over.... :(

speaking of different, best part of the film for me is when Meng Fei fought that little dude. Wicked scene

i wish that little guy was in more movies. He had some sick moves.

That was Max Lee Chiu-Jun, the action choreographer. I thought their fight scene was almost better than the final one with Mark Long. He broke out almost every animal style in that fight.

Anyone have some infos about the dvd editions? I need to pick this up but first i'd like to know what quality differences to expect between the EH (ntsc) and MIA (pal) dvd's. Or perhaps there is some other dvd version out of this that i don't know of?

Eastern heroes version is dubbed and fullscreen, taken directly from the VHS tape - the tracking adjusts during parts. Approx time is 84 min.

Morgoth Bauglir

Wow I didn't realize that was Max Lee. I knew he choreographed a lot of movies, but I wouldn't have thought that Jackie's little buddy from Drunken Master had moves like that.

Wow I didn't realize that was Max Lee. I knew he choreographed a lot of movies, but I wouldn't have thought that Jackie's little buddy from Drunken Master had moves like that.

Yeah he was actually quite special... and an original member of the Stuntmen Team Bruce Lee was putting together in HK with the likes of Ko Fei, Sammo, Jackie, Lam Ching Ying, Corey Yuen, and Yuen Wah.

Not a bad list of Stuntmen, eh?

:nerd:

Saw this at the Roxy 4 theater on 42nd street in the 80's and remember thinking how this stood apart from much of the other independant kung fu flicks from that era since much of it (the last half especially) was filmed on indoor sound stages ala Shaw Brothers.

Above average.

Archived