The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I went into this movie looking to be disappointed, and I am happy to say I was not. They were really good in this movie. I actually watched this movie twice, once with my girl and once with friends. It is really a good movie. Nothing in it to wow me, but enough to keep me happy.

As a side note, I did love the fights.

Saw it, too much filler, but overall was very fun to watch. And I love how the film didn't try to take it self to seriously. Didn't focus enough on Jet and Jackie's character in my opinion. :D Great action, but I don't wanna reveal too much.

Just remember: JET VS. JACKIE

Morgoth Bauglir

yeah I knew I was in for at least a decent movie when I saw all those posters. They seemed to pay big time respect to Lau Kar Leung. I had to see 10 different photos of him.

Saw it and liked it! Remeber folks this movie is rated PG-13. Jet and Jackie (and double?) were awesome thanks to Mr. Yuen Woo Ping. I like what they did during the open credit sequence; they better give it up to the Shaw Brothers! Overall a good entertaining film, not the best but a good flick.

Hope this will open the doors to more films but to a more mature audience. :cool:

who plays the bride with white hair type character, she looks damn sexy to me lol

Ni Chang was played by Li Bingbing, who also appeared in Michelle Yeoh's SILVER HAWK as one of Luke Goss's henchmen (she was Michael Jai White's girlfriend in the movie) and DRAGON SQUAD as the girlfriend of the crime boss whom Michael Biehn hits on.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Mark's review on the front page is spot on. Jackie and Jet made a great on screen pair not only in the martial arts aspect but in playing off each other. It was a joy to watch them fight but even more so to watch them act next to each other. I'm hope the DVD features so great behind the scenes stuff as it looked like they had a great time making it.

Morgoth Bauglir

Cool Albert. I do have to say I liked that last fight scene. There was one brief moment where Benoit threw some really fast punches.

kungfusamurai

I saw this today and thought it was pretty good. It wasn't the best vehicle for a Jackie and Jet Li movie, but it did show those two can pull out some great stuff when fighting against each other!

The story is pretty basic, and very predictable. I don't think it will appeal to a mass audience like they had probably planned it to be. The biggest obstacle, for me, was trying to understand some of the broken English dialogue. Perhaps the choice of words was bad, because many of them were difficult to understand. If they had spoken mostly Mandarin with English subs, I wouldn't have minded that. So that might be a problem for the audience, because if you can't understand what is being said, you miss some of the messages being conveyed.

The action in the film is probably the only reason to really see this flick. It's well done, and while it does feature plenty of wire work, the choreography is very intricate full of really cool moves.

Overall, it's worth checking out, but like I said, I don't see it appealing to a whole lot of people. Maybe it'll have the first weekend's box office because people saw the recent ads on TV and thought it was a strictly Jet Vs Jackie film, and didn't know it was a semi-kids movie. It'll disappear off the Top 10 pretty quickly.

It sounds like they might have left it open for a sequel? I look forward to seeing Michael Angarano doing more films, he was really talented. I looked on IMDB to see if he had a martial arts background, but nothing is listed.

KFS

kungfusamurai

How do they compile those box office numbers anyway? I guessed it would be #1 (I should have been more specific in my post when I mean to say it would take the Top of the box offices first weekend, but quickly disappear soon after) based on seeing how many screens it was listed as playing. But the theatre was quite empty when I was in it. Maybe 30 to 40% full. So is it based on actual ticket purchases, or projected purchases based on the number of theatres its playing in?

KFS

How do they compile those box office numbers anyway? I guessed it would be #1 (I should have been more specific in my post when I mean to say it would take the Top of the box offices first weekend, but quickly disappear soon after) based on seeing how many screens it was listed as playing. But the theatre was quite empty when I was in it. Maybe 30 to 40% full. So is it based on actual ticket purchases, or projected purchases based on the number of theatres its playing in?

KFS

Based on projected purchases - then the "adjustment" is made later.

Tigerstyles

Jet Li's action adventure The Forbidden Kingdom has topped the US box office chart.

The Rob Minkoff-directed movie held off competition from Russell Brand and Kristen Bell's romantic comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall, which landed at two.

Other new entries came from Al Pacino's crime thriller 88 Minutes in fourth spot and Nathan Frankowski's documentary Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, which went straight in at number nine.

Last week's number one Prom Night slipped to third place.

The top ten in full:

1. (-) The Forbidden Kingdom - $20,870,000

2. (-) Forgetting Sarah Marshall - $17,347,600

3. (1) Prom Night - $9,100,000

4. (-) 88 Minutes - $6,800,000

5. (4) Nim's Island - $5,650,000

6. (3) 21 - $5,500,000

7. (2) Street Kings - $4,000,000

8. (6) Horton Hears A Who! - $3,500,000

9. (-) Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed - $3,152,896

10. (5) Leatherheads - $3,021,840

I really don't want to disrupt the whole entire positive vibe on this forum but I wasn't too impressed with The Forbidden Kingdom. I didn't go in expecting too much, but besides the good chemistry and comedic moments of Jackie and Jet, I thought the rest of the film was forgettable.. and yes this includes the choreography. Wirework felt awkward at times where one moment an exchange of good ground choreography would then end off in a 720 varial. Also it bothers me when I see doubles used excessively. I'm sorry guys, I really wasn't expecting too much but these little annoyances really bugged me. Besides The Banquet, I feel this is one of Sifu Wo Ping's weakest works both Hollywood and Hong Kong in the past few years. Please don't hate, but I felt House of Fury had more enjoyable choreography then this. Overall, decent flick.

TripMasterMunky

I thought the movie was good, but I would've rather seen a more...serious sort of film. It is more family-ish. Not saying it's bad, I just would rather have it portrayed differently.

kungfusamurai
I really don't want to disrupt the whole entire positive vibe on this forum but I wasn't too impressed with The Forbidden Kingdom. I didn't go in expecting too much, but besides the good chemistry and comedic moments of Jackie and Jet, I thought the rest of the film was forgettable.. and yes this includes the choreography. Wirework felt awkward at times where one moment an exchange of good ground choreography would then end off in a 720 varial. Also it bothers me when I see doubles used excessively. I'm sorry guys, I really wasn't expecting too much but these little annoyances really bugged me. Besides The Banquet, I feel this is one of Sifu Wo Ping's weakest works both Hollywood and Hong Kong in the past few years. Please don't hate, but I felt House of Fury had more enjoyable choreography then this. Overall, decent flick.

I agree that the movie as a whole wasn't all that great, and seeing Jet Li peeing on Jackie Chan was pretty funny, I don't know if Jackie realized it was the second time he got humiliated by Jet on film (the first being the film High Risk ;). But I thought the choreography, while not as tight and brutal as say Unleashed or Kiss of The Dragon, was still really well done. Yeah, there is a lot of body doubling, which I would blame on Yuen Woo Ping, who's being doing that since the 70s. But the hand to hand encounter between Jackie and Jet was really well done, considering these two men are physically past their prime. And Jet Li's command of the staff was nice to see.

I think the movie could have been a whole lot worse, so that's why I'm just giving it a pass as opposed to a glowing recommendation.

KFS

TheGrimReaper

I'm still waiting for this movie to hit screens in Bulgaria, I don't have so big expectations, because I do not want to be disappointed a lot after the final credits - it happened on numerous occasions before :)