The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest Collector
Thanks, but I knew the unfurtunate presence of the american kid was explained plot wise... What pisses me off is his presence in the film, period. Just goes to show you how frisky producers are and how narrow minded they THINK armericans or westerners are.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Although i do agree with you, im looking at the bright side of it which is that at least (as far as from what i can tell) it's not going to be your typical american kung-fu shoot em-up a la Rush Hour type movie.....unfortunately masterpieces like Crouching Tiger and Hero are rare, and im not expecting this one to come even close, but it'll be worth watching that's for sure.

As for the American kid...

It's very similar to what Henry Jenkins called "Personalization" (in connection with fan-writing - but it applies here I suppose). "A means of connecting one’s own life experience with the fictional setting of one’s favorite canon"... A bit like that "Sidekicks" movie...:-)

Not that I think it's absolutely necessary or desirable - but I understand the logic behind it. It would be nice if this time they actually managed to utilize all the potential that such a confrontation of world views/paradigms/realities/whatever-you-wanna-call-it offers - but I have this feeling that it's gonna be just another "adolescent fantasy come true" kind of story. Infested with cliches of the worst kind.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to it...:-) :cool:

Guest TheGrimReaper

@Cesare: There will be cliches for sure, however it is a great achievement as an action oriented movie and one which is driven by one of the most popular legends in Chinese folklore and mythology... As for the American kid involvment - let us all hope that it's not going to ruin the authentic feel of the whole movie... And apparently the producers wanted the film to appeal to a broader audience strating from the little ones, going through the fans of both Jackie and Jet and finishing with all newcomers to MA movies...

Now that I read about the demons and superpowers they have in the flick I think it's gonna have a serious, yet still have the over-the-top special effects feel. What immediately came to mind was Storm Riders! :cool:

Does that kid realize how lucky he is? :D Looks tight,cant wait.

My thing is, he got to have conversations with them. If he saw any of Jackie or Jet's early flicks he'd be in awe!

If it's a hit, it'll not only be Li's first BIG hit in North America. But, it'll be Jackie's second since Rush Hour 2, and if it's big enough that kid will become like the dude who starred in Harry Potter!

CAN YOU SAY TIGER BEAT MAGAZINE! :D

TheGrimReaper: Possible cliches associated with this "personalization" strategy mentioned in my previous post are the only ones that really trouble me. It's a tricky formula, sucks a very very big deal if done wrong... But then - it can be quite "refreshing" if done right. We will see.

As I said. I'm looking forward to the movie... The trailer looks quite promising.:cool:

I think it'll be a thrill for me to watch no matter what!! I wasn't kidding when I said this sounds like my life story. I've been in the exact situation as this kid time, and again! Even though I wasn't the least popular kid in school, I was and still pretty obsessed with Kung Fu! I really don't intend on specifying my exact age, but I'm still in High School and can understand a similar plight.

Strangely enough I was just in Chinatown pigging out on Kung Fu DVDs after I got my check last week!

Guest TheGrimReaper

@ Cesare: I totally agree with you m8, cliches can be a real pain in the bottom if you do not put them right in the movie or exagerate a lot... I would prefer a more HK approach towards this one, however the time will tell... Greetings from snowy Bulgaria :)

Check it! New full-size pics from the movie. The links below each picture will take you to the wallpaper-sized picture if you'd like to save 'em.

Jet Li as Lan Cai He

7d19ce5.jpg

Wallpaper: http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3696/jetliforbiddenkingdomkt2.jpg

Jackie as Lu Yan

cd4bvn5.jpg

Wallpaper: http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7339/jackiechanforbiddenkingvq5.jpg

The Crew traveling to the West! :D:

e8e8cd9.jpg

Wallpaper: http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1808/groupshotforbiddenkingdtd5.jpg

TheGrimReaper

Good pictures - i've enjoyed them - Jackie has this zany look in his eyes, just like the first "Drunken Master", Jet Li is a strong character too, reminscent to those OUATIC marvels from the recent past. Cheers !

doug maverick

the more i look at this film the more it looks like jackie is the one playing the monkey king(rightfully so) and jet is the monk. if so why was it reported in reverse.

JohnnieFreeze

As an Asian Cinema fan, I'd rather not see the token white guy in the flick, but on 1 hand I can see why the makers might think its necessary if they want to appeal to a wider audiance. On the other hand, no one really sees Martial Arts movies outside of hardcore Martial Arts fans, so token actors arent really needed. This can go either way...I suppose the movie makers and marketers have worked it out for the best(?)