The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Financed by a US company but shot entirely in China with an almost purley Chinese cast. Story was loosely adapted from the "Journey To The West". Jackie will be playing Drunken Fist Master Lu Yan and Jet is playing a "silent monk" character. Complete with fight choreography by YWP!! :rollin Full article over at

www.wu-jing.org or .kungfucinema.com. Also a little news there about YWP planning a big budget Iron Monkey sequel starring Andy Lau!!

One of the projects said to be revealed at Cannes Films Festival was Iron Monkey sequel/remake (or Iron Mask Man), to be directed by Yuen Wo Ping. Andy Lau is expected to play one of the 2 male leads in this romantic kung fu film, while the female lead might go to Jeon Do Yeon or another Korean actress. Yuen Wo Ping has been preparing for this HK$300 million work since the completion of Fearless. Iron Monkey sequel will be set in Manchu dynasty, and will employ new filming techniques that Yuen Wo Ping picked up in Hollywood. There might be generous amount of special effects in this movie which might imitate some Spiderman movements, such as scaling the walls. Other possible Yuen Wo Ping projects include Âs‹*—Ât (Heroine/A Touch of Zen) and ÂsÂ¥‘äÂt (The Arena).
From wu-jing.org

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks for uploading. Looks pretty good, it'll be cool to see Colin Chou fight with Jet and Jackie. I hope it's not loads of wires and flash cinematography that takes the attention away from the fights like in Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I'd love to see the Jet Li vs Jackie Chan fight, i heard they both do drunken boxing!

Oh crap, OH CRAP! I'm kinda nervous, I've been waiting for this :eek:

By the way, I work at a theater, you can request those big cardboard stand-ups and posters they put up in the theater displays. I've already requested the stuff for this movie!

Somebody already the I Am Legend and The Dark Knight Returns stuff! Damn it.

Now I am in bliss that I reserved the Forbidden Kingdom stuff :eek: OH MY GOD, YES!

Darker than expected. The only thing is, I don't know about the kid, Michael Angarano, he was a horrible actor in that crappy kids super hero movie, Sky High. Let's just hope things didn't go awry.

Guest theportlykicker

I'm with everyone else on this. It looks surprisingly... good! Then again, with Jackie, Jet, AND Yuen Wo Ping all working on it, it SHOULD be good!

We can but hope...

Guest TheGrimReaper

Nice trailer - I hope that the good stuff is not only there, but in the movie itself too, a lot of movies recently delivered only a marvelous trailers and they suck big time when it comes to the whole art piece (example The Fantastic four and the Rise of the Silver surfer, Spiderman 3, Superman returns).

I expect a good colaboration between the cast and crew - both Jackie and Jet look smooth in their scenes (even Yuen Woo Ping considered their fighting too fast for the camera, and Jackie admits that the fighting scenes between him and Jet were one of the most enjoyable experience he hahd ever had), nice panoramic shots, slow-motion in some good looking moments, fingers crossed for this to be one of the great movies hit the screen next year.

After dissapointing performances from both Jackie & Jet (in Rush Hour 3 & War) I really hope that this one will leave a mark...

Although the competition is pretty hard for 2008 - we have Ong Bak 2 & Kung Fu Hustle 2 and not to forget the long anticipated return of the Man with the Whip - Indiana Jones... Time will tell... :)

Guest Morgoth

Although the competition is pretty hard for 2008 - we have Ong Bak 2 & Kung Fu Hustle 2 and not to forget the long anticipated return of the Man with the Whip - Indiana Jones... Time will tell... :)

Chow seems to have been working on Kung Fu Hustle 2 for quite awhile now, and I still haven't heard when it is coming out. It better be good.

Guest will91XingYu

I hope Xing Yu is in it again, oh yeh he died ! Should still bring him back because the fight he was in was the best one in kung fu hustle. I loved the comedy in Kung Fu Hustle, but i wish Sammo Hung had coreographed all the fights, nothing against Yuen Wo Ping because he is a legend, but that film would have been better with Sammo Hung as action director IMO (it was cool to see Yuen Cheung Yan in a cameo)

Guest Endsang

A prequel to Kung Fu Hustle could have been cool. The 3 masters and their fight is my favorite part.

As for Forbidden Kingdom, I am a little sceptical about the American and how he will affect the film overall.

I am pretty confident about Jackie and Jet though, and I am looking forward to seeing it.

Guest TheGrimReaper

It will be really nice if the three masters could return in some way for the sequel/ prequel, although they all three died in the first movie - Stephen Chow has to be inventive enough to manage this to happen... :) As for the Forbidden Kingdom I am also a bit sceptical regarding the involvment of an American in a truly Chinese legend as it is the legend of Monkey King (or Journey to the West written by one monk Su Yuen Zuan - I'm not sure about the correct pronunciation though)... I've seen something about this story in one TV movie on Hallmark with Bai Ling and some various Chinese and American stars, but it was dissapointing... Probably the latest version will be far better than this...

Guest Drunken Monk
Tony Jaa has said he would love to be involved in Indiana Jones 4! I don't know how that'd work but i'd love to see it.

They've wrapped "Indy 4" so I really doubt he'll be in it.

Guest The Amazing Psycho Per

Now that's a shame, it looks good, but why, Oh why did they have to put an american kid in the movie??? Finally we had Jet and Jackie united in a movie but it's all ruined by that stupid idea! I mean come on! WHY??? WTF is he doing there??? An american kid, in a chinese legend... go figure... Are americans that xenophobic that they would refuse to see a movie because there are no american actors in it??? Come on, people have to be smarter then that! Aren't they? At least they didn't disguise american actors to look chinese... I guess it's a small improvement.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Guest Drunken Monk

Believe it or not people are that shallow. The American guy is brought back in time to ancient China to partake in the adventure and this is what a Western audience wants. Plus I heard the film was to appeal to children and kids relate better with young white people.

Believe it or not people are that shallow.

OH! I believe it!

Now that's a shame, it looks good, but why, Oh why did they have to put an american kid in the movie???

The plot:

The Forbidden Kingdom is about a New York teenager who is obsessed with Hong Kong cinema and classic Kung Fu movies. Jason (Michael Angarano), is a boy who is always bullied at school. He is determined to learn kung fu to protect himself. One day in a Chinatown.......

Damn! This is starting my life story! NYC and all. :D

......pawnshop, Jason makes an extraordinary discovery - a Chinese staff. It is the legendary Ru Yi Bang staff of the Chinese sage and warrior, Sun Wukong the Monkey King.

A mysterious power in the staff transports Jason back to ancient China. There he meets kung fu master Lu Yan (Jackie Chan). He is unkempt and looks like a beggar. Jason becomes his disciple. Later, he meets another kung fu master Golden Sparrow (Liu Yifei) and the Silent Monk (Jet Li). The three of them go on to a journey after seeing the staff in Jason’s possession. There has been an ancient prophecy: Sun Wukong the Monkey King, who was jailed under the Five Fingers Mountain by Lord Buddha himself, will one day be freed by a "foreign youngster", who will return the staff to him. After learning of the arrival of Jason, the Jade Emperor (Collin Chou) immediately sends out his three highly skilled guards led by the White Haired Demoness (Li Bingbing) to get the staff from the boy. So the battle begins.....

Guest The Amazing Psycho Per

Thanks, but I knew the unfurtunate presence of the american kid was explained plot wise... What pisses me off is his presence in the film, period. Just goes to show you how frisky producers are and how narrow minded they THINK armericans or westerners are.

The Amazing Psycho Per