Any thoughts on these titles??

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Any thoughts on these titles would be much appreciated!

WAYS OF KUNG FU-Chi Kuan Chun, Leung Kar Yan...

TRIUMPH OF TWO KUNG FU ARTS-Chan Wai Man, Kam Kong...

KUNG FU GENIUS-Cliff Lok, Wilson Tong...

SHAOLIN INVINCIBLE STICKS-Wang Tao, Chang Yi...

DESCENDANTS OF WING CHUN-Melvin Wong, Fung Hak On...

18 SECRETS OF KUNG FU-Alan Lee, Wong Wing Sang...

TWO GREAT CAVALIERS-John Liu, Angela Mao...

THE FIST, THE KICKS, THE EVIL-Bruce Leung, Ko Fei...

Any input is appreciated...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are all titles I have on VHS, and haven't viewed in ages.:rolleyes: I do say I like them all, mostly Ways of Kung Fu, because of Chi Kuai Chun, Liang Jia Ren, and Meng Fei. I must watch them again to give details, however, each in it's own right is a decent indie MA film.

:)

TibetanWhiteCrane

Cool...! Im getting further and further into the indie stuff. And most of these movies, never got their proper due. So it's not always easy to know what is is trash and what is treasure.

What I am looking for, info wise, is just a short once over...! good fights? bad fights? stupid comedy? funny comedy? or any comedy? decent production value? looks like it was filmed in someones backyard with a camcorder?

That type of stuff...

thundered mantis

THE FIST, THE KICKS, THE EVIL contains just too good fightin´sequences. Bruce Liang in full shapes mode like he seldom has been seen on cinema movies (he really shone on TV shapes). This one also has Ko Fei in great form, plus a good Bolo fight, plus good training sequences. Not bad production values.

Story is your typical revenge kung fu movie, thousands of times seen. The VV DVD is sadly fullscreen, but good image quality.

For me, it´s a must.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah Fists Kicks and Evils is pretty good. So is Kung Fu Genius. Just make sure you stay far away from Triumph of the Two Kung Fu Arts.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Just make sure you stay far away from Triumph of the Two Kung Fu Arts.

Really?? Even if im a fan of Chan Wai Man?

I have 'Kung Fu Genius', it's an okay movie, pretty cool if you aren't expecting brilliance. The fight choreography is not too bad, but nothing extravagant.

I had heard that Descendents of Wing Chun wasn't too bad, but not sure about that one.

Morgoth Bauglir
I have 'Kung Fu Genius', it's an okay movie, pretty cool if you aren't expecting brilliance. The fight choreography is not too bad, but nothing extravagant.

I had heard that Descendents of Wing Chun wasn't too bad, but not sure about that one.

Yeah nothing extravagent, except for that fight between Cliff Lok and Wilson Tong (not the end fight, but the one before that). Great choreography, and Lok was lookin mean. I loved it. Plus you have chan Lung's duck style. That's the highlight of the movie for me. And Hsiao Ho is in this too. How many non-Shaw movies do you get to see him have multiple fights in?

SamuraiDana

I've seen four of them. I'm a big fan of KUNG FU GENIUS and DESCENDANT OF WING CHUN. KUNG FU GENIUS is a good showcase for Cliff Lok's talent and it's got a very good supporting cast and lots of fun fight scenes, with some humor that actually fits the story. DESCENDANT is more serious and very well done. I have both on good-quality DVD editions. I don't remember too much about WAYS OF KUNG FU and TWO GREAT CAVALIERS, but I remember liking them.

TibetanWhiteCrane

BTW, is Fists,kicks,evils a crane style movie? And what particular style, if anyone knows?

all classic kung fu

i liked triumph of kung fu arts the most but thats because i love chanweiman movies

Morgoth Bauglir
all classic kung fu

i liked triumph of kung fu arts the most but thats because i love chanweiman movies

I loved the music in Triumph, and the training scenes were ok, but the fights were godawful. My favorite scene is Chan Wai Man vs Kam Kong. Of course, they don't actually fight, it's just shown in snapshots. I thought that was a nice touch.

TibetanWhiteCrane

OK, so this is what im gettin from you.....

WAYS OF KUNG FU- thats a go...

TRIUMPH OF TWO KUNG FU ARTS-thats a no...

KUNG FU GENIUS-thats a go...

SHAOLIN INVINCIBLE STICKS-??????

DESCENDANTS OF WING CHUN-thats a go...

18 SECRETS OF KUNG FU-??????

TWO GREAT CAVALIERS-??????

THE FIST, THE KICKS, THE EVIL-thats a go...

I've already checked out reviews, clips, trailers on youtube etc. But it's always good to get some expert opinions:)

Thanks for the replies.

Morgoth Bauglir

IMO Shaolin Invincible Sticks and 2 Great Cavaliers are average at best. But who knows, you may love em.

I haven't seen 18 Secrets, sorry.

ironfistedmonk

Ways of KF is decent, nice cast including beardy and Yu Tien Lung and a couple of fighting galls

Triumph of 2 KF Arts didn't do anything for me, you wont be missing anything not getting this one IMO

KF Genius is good, Cliff Lok is a shapes Don and does some good stuff alongside the foot doctor

Shaolin Invincible Sticks bored the hell out of me but some think its a good film, the dub is really bad on this one

Descendant of Wing Chun I have watched only once, it wasn't bad but it doesn't stand out for me

18 Secrets is one I saw donkeys ago and I need to re watch, no big names but I remember some decent shapes

2 Great Cavaliers is a good one IMO, Angie Mao and John Liu in one of those unmask the villainous mastermind kinda stories, good stuff

Fists Kicks Evils is Bruce Liang mashing peoples, the guy is one bad ass mo fo

WAYS OF KUNG FU-Chi Kuan Chun, Leung Kar Yan... - Watched at the theatre and remember enjoying it, especially Chi Kwan Chun's performance. Must watch it again.

TRIUMPH OF TWO KUNG FU ARTS-Chan Wai Man, Kam Kong... Never saw it.

KUNG FU GENIUS-Cliff Lok, Wilson Tong... - Saw at the movies and rememeber enjoying it. Must watch it again.

SHAOLIN INVINCIBLE STICKS-Wang Tao, Chang Yi... - Love Wang Tao but the choreograhpy seemed sloooowww.

DESCENDANTS OF WING CHUN-Melvin Wong, Fung Hak On... - Never saw it but heard it was decent.

18 SECRETS OF KUNG FU-Alan Lee, Wong Wing Sang... Never saw this, never heard how it is either.

TWO GREAT CAVALIERS-John Liu, Angela Mao... Angela Mao never showed off her bootwork like she did in the end fight. Watching her and John Liu shoot multiple hopping kicks together, holding up their legs, and jumping into splits simultaneously against Chen Sing was worth the price of admission. Not your typical John Liu movie.

THE FIST, THE KICKS, THE EVIL-Bruce Leung, Ko Fei... - I remember enjoying the fights and that everyone was in good form. Gotta watch it again.

If you can get pristine, uncut and widescreen versions of :

Ways Of Kung Fu

Kung Fu Genius

Shaolin Invincible Sticks

2 Great Cavaliers &

The Fist The Kicks And The Evils,chances are you wouldn't regret it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, it's hard getting pristine,uncut,widescreen anything..... but I think VV released most of these!

gravedigger666

Invincible Sticks is worth seeing because of that longlegged chick from "leg fighters" featured.

18 Secrets of Kung Fu is pretty generic story-wise, but it has some pretty good shapes and acrobatics.

overall, its worth checking out.

Archived