Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan (DVD - Image)

oldeschool17

You didn't like the dub for Killer Constable? I thought every single voice was above average. Are there English dubs you do like?

Not really. Again, it nearly wrecks the grim atmosphere of the film. The thousands of average and below average indies out there are made more bearable by the ridiculousness of the dubbed voices. Just Shaw Brothers movies I prefer to hear in Chinese.

Even long before Celestial restored these movies, I wondered for years if I would ever be able to see them in their original format save for the scant few I had already seen in Chinese. The experience is far more rewarding to me and I have gotten several fans enamored with these movies by watching them in Chinese who had only ever seen those insulting dubs and thought the movies were low class. Only after seeing them in Chinese did these films earn them an air of respectability.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That dub was fine for the time as nothing else was available. But upon seeing KILLER CONSTABLE in its original language, a greater appreciation for the film was born from the experience. I'm sure the director intended the film to be seen that way and not some shoddy dub done in 2 to 3 days.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah indie flicks are most of the time really cheap, so the voices do kind of help it since it's hard to take seriously in the first place. I watch a lot of movies at work (because I'm really lazy and I don't like to actually work), and to my surprise I've gotten a lot of people into these movies. We always repeat the dubbed lines to eachother. Helps get me through work:D

Morgoth Bauglir
That dub was fine for the time as nothing else was available. But upon seeing KILLER CONSTABLE in its original language, a greater appreciation for the film was born from the experience. I'm sure the director intended the film to be seen that way and not some shoddy dub done in 2 to 3 days.

You must be referring to that crappy Chinese dub that probably didn't even take a whole day to make:D;)

You must be referring to that crappy Chinese dub that probably didn't even take a whole day to make:D;)

Ha Ha. I assure you I am referring to the ENGLISH dub of the film. Now if the dubbers had done what was done on many of the older Godzilla movies, as in the dubbers actually doing a voice that would sound remotely like an actual foreigner attempting an English accent, than I might have warmed to these more.

I've never really liked dubs but this was reinforced once I saw a handful of Shaw classics in the proper language.

Morgoth Bauglir

Well we just strongly disagree here. that's all. I think it would be really cheesy if they had English guys trying to do Chinese accents.

I will say this, I do like the Shaw Brothers dubs, but they are far from my favorites. All of my favorite dubs are from Seasonal, Golden Harvest and other comapanies.

I don't think people care much about the films themselves, that's why you don't see much discussion about actual films here, just DVD's & their formatting.

Killer Meteor
I don't think people care much about the films themselves, that's why you don't see much discussion about actual films here, just DVD's & their formatting.

Well the thread is about the DVD

i often get this feeling reading some of these threads

Killer Meteor
i often get this feeling reading some of these threads

I think its unfair to suggest that. I do care about the films a LOT. I also care about them getting an acceptable DVD transfer, which many do not get. Surely we can discuss both without being accused of not caring?

oldeschool17

Ok since there's no talk about the actual movie, i'll step up and say something.

Finally got to watching this. Spoilers ahead

I liked the movie. Chu Yuan definently played up the lesbian love angle quite well and tasteful. Lily Ho and Betty Tei Pei had good chemistry. I think it was rather funny that Betty Tei Pei did not think Lily Ho would turn on her, considering everybody that had wronged her was getting killed not to mention she promised Man Chung Sang she would avenge him. However, Betty Tei Pei gets the last laugh in the end. Good emotional connection between the 2 as well(Betty definitely showed that she really loved Lily Ho and you could definitely empathize for Lily Ho). The action was decent but nothing to write home about.

Overall: 4 out of 5

Story: 4

Scenery/Atmosphere: 5

Action: 3.5

Recommend to all Chu Yuan fans

I talked about the movie on page 3.:D I can't even think of a time I talked about a dvd presentation (at least not in any great detail) as opposed to the actual movie itself.:D

oldeschool17

oh i was being facetious. cause you know, god forbid we talk about specs of a dvd that can help people decide what versions to buy/keep, etc. but then again, i guess i just dont care about the movies, right?:rolleyes:

oh i was being facetious. cause you know, god forbid we talk about specs of a dvd that can help people decide what versions to buy/keep, etc. but then again, i guess i just dont care about the movies, right?:rolleyes:

:P:):D

Ok since there's no talk about the actual movie, i'll step up and say something.

Finally got to watching this. Spoilers ahead

I liked the movie. Chu Yuan definently played up the lesbian love angle quite well and tasteful. Lily Ho and Betty Tei Pei had good chemistry. I think it was rather funny that Betty Tei Pei did not think Lily Ho would turn on her, considering everybody that had wronged her was getting killed not to mention she promised Man Chung Sang she would avenge him. However, Betty Tei Pei gets the last laugh in the end. Good emotional connection between the 2 as well(Betty definitely showed that she really loved Lily Ho and you could definitely empathize for Lily Ho). The action was decent but nothing to write home about.

Overall: 4 out of 5

Story: 4

Scenery/Atmosphere: 5

Action: 3.5

Recommend to all Chu Yuan fans

Dangit I still haven't been able to get to this one, it's still sitting in my dvd player, between work and Hockey I haven't had time, I mean two beatiful Asian girls making out on screen:eek:What the hell am I waiting for?

oldeschool17
Dangit I still haven't been able to get to this one, it's still sitting in my dvd player, between work and Hockey I haven't had time, I mean two beatiful Asian girls making out on screen:eek:What the hell am I waiting for?

Not sure what movies you like, but I imagine you would like this if you are a fan of Chu Yuan's work.

Well I'm 100% positive I'll love this flick, one of those that always has escaped me over the years, but I've heard and read nothing but great things about it. Of course I'm a Shaw fan thick and thin, I can only think of one or two titles I didn't like.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Tosh, you'll appreciate this film. It's a well done Chu Yuan film (comparatively speaking). I just watched this version and have to say it was quite a pleasurable experience.

Um yeah, this one fits nicely in the middle of my all time top ten now, after sitting down last night I realized I was about to watch a couple hours of reruns on adult swim, watched this instead, little different movie than what I was expecting, in a better than I thought way.

Um yeah, this one fits nicely in the middle of my all time top ten now, after sitting down last night I realized I was about to watch a couple hours of reruns on adult swim, watched this instead, little different movie than what I was expecting, in a better than I thought way.

I've always wondered what this movie was like. I guess theres not very much kung fu in this one hey?

It's a good amount of fighting. It's about as classy as an exploitation movie can get. The ending however, throws subtlety out the window. A little bit of everything in this one. I can't believe I passed on the subbed VHS tape years back. A must see and important classic. If you don't care for early 70s swordplay style action you might want to read up on it more as there's a bit more going on here than just fighting. Lesbianism, sex, torture, gore and revenge are amidst the fighting. It's still an important movie in Chu Yuan's career that any fan should see at least once.

Morgoth Bauglir

Loved the ending. It was like a competition to see who had more hate in them.

I have to say the English dub came in handy the otherday when I wanted to show my friend after drinking a 12 pack at the pool(lets face it, it gets hard to read the subtitles after a certian point:p), and I do love a good Shaw dub every once in a while.

I wouldn't mind being the filling of a lesbian rice cake sandwich at the moment:D

I have to say the English dub came in handy the otherday when I wanted to show my friend after drinking a 12 pack at the pool(lets face it, it gets hard to read the subtitles after a certian point:p), and I do love a good Shaw dub every once in a while.

I'm sure The Running Man does the same :).

Archived