Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan (DVD - Image)

oldeschool17

But is this uncut? Theres a a coupel minutes missing from the IVL version.

Can someone whos familiar with both version please verify.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Pollard

For oldschool17, here is a side-by-side comparison of the Image and IVL releases. I don't have the Siren or CTV versions. I don't have time to post more images as I'm working on the disc review at the moment. The only difference I see is that the Image version actually appears to be slightly cropped.

picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=272

I do know that if The Weinstein company had released this, they would have run it through a color-enhancing process. Their SB releases look much more vibrant.

picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=273

just got my copy yesterday and watched it as soon as i got home. LOVED IT. i of course watched the dub version and as i have said in the past i just don't know why some people don't like the dubs--i thought it was great-- i'd gladly buy every old school shaw dub there is.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, most of the dubs for the Shaw movies, and GH was pretty good! Most of the dubs for the indie flicks are pretty bad, especially the ones with heavy accents! So I think the dub hate stems from that!

Mark, in this paragraph from your review you mention...

Bonus content is lighter than on SB releases from Dragon Dynasty and Crash Cinema but it appears that Image is making some effort to address this.

Do you mean Media Blasters instead of Crash?

Killer Meteor
just got my copy yesterday and watched it as soon as i got home. LOVED IT. i of course watched the dub version and as i have said in the past i just don't know why some people don't like the dubs--i thought it was great-- i'd gladly buy every old school shaw dub there is.

Well geeze Bobo, some people don't like hearing films in a language different to what was intended AND some people don't like seeing Chinese people speaking with phoney mid-atlantic accents.

Morgoth Bauglir

oldschool original dubs rule. Only time I read the subs is if it's the only option. And it's not just the voices I like, but the dialogue on the dubs usually make more sense to me than the subs. For example, Killer Constable is my favorite Shaw Brothers movie, but if I would have had to read those crappy subs the first time I saw it, it probably wouldn't even be in my top 10. It really hurt the movie. And the voices on the sub version suck too. Pretty much everything is wrong with it. Only positive about the subbed version is that the picture is remastered.

oldeschool17
And the voices on the sub version suck too. Pretty much everything is wrong with it.

So you dont like the actual actor's voices?

Meh, cant we just keep the dubs discussion in that one thread dedicated to dubs? This can easily become a drama infested thread. :eek:

Killer Meteor
So you dont like the actual actor's voices?

Meh, cant we just keep the dubs discussion in that one thread dedicated to dubs? This can easily become a drama infested thread. :eek:

Actually, those aren't the actor's voices! It wasn't until the 90s that HK films had the actors provide their own lines as standard. Before then, the films were shot silent, and a bunch of actors (using the term loosely) would dub them into Chinese. For example. the first Chinese Jackie Chan film where you actually hear his voice in the Chinese version is Supercop

oldeschool17
Actually, those aren't the actor's voices! It wasn't until the 90s that HK films had the actors provide their own lines as standard. Before then, the films were shot silent, and a bunch of actors (using the term loosely) would dub them into Chinese. For example. the first Chinese Jackie Chan film where you actually hear his voice in the Chinese version is Supercop

oh thats right

Morgoth Bauglir

Pai Paio's voice is probably the worst voice on the Chinese version of Killer Constable. His character's voice should be really wicked sounding, but it's not even close. It's like they didn't even pay attention to what the characters should sound like when they hired the voice actors.

oldeschool17
Pai Paio's voice is probably the worst voice on the Chinese version of Killer Constable. His character's voice should be really wicked sounding, but it's not even close. It's like they didn't even pay attention to what the characters should sound like when they hired the voice actors.

that can be said bout lots of english dubbers too:D

l

Morgoth Bauglir
that can be said bout lots of english dubbers too:D

l

yeah that's true. In Shaolin Temple Strikes BAck, Cliff Ching Ching plays this big super badass dude, and they give him a really high pitched voice. It's so funny. But the English version of Killer Constable is well done. Even with the limited voice actors they had they still did a very good job.

Morgoth Bauglir

All in all, it's just preference. I for one can't stand reading subtitles when I know there's a good English dub available.

For example. the first Chinese Jackie Chan film where you actually hear his voice in the Chinese version is Supercop

'Twin Dragons' for a snippet: "How do you know?" in English actually:D, but yeah :).

One of the reasons aside from economics related for other performers doing the voices has to do with the fact that these voice actors could speak whatever dialect perfectly and the dialog would come through much clearer. However, I think there were occasions in which an actor did his own voice in some of the older films.

How anybody can say an inferior dub is far better than the original spoken word is perplexing. To each their own I guess. These movies play on a far more serious level in Chinese than they do with the laugh inducing effect these films propagate in English when viewed by somebody even remotely curious about these movies. For the genre to grow these movies need to be viewed on a more serious level to gain respect for what is arguably the most maligned film genre out there.

IMO, the dub for KILLER CONSTABLE is pretty bad. There's a couple of spots where dialog isn't even translated into English not to mention a few silly high pitched voices that play havoc with the downer nature of the film.

Morgoth Bauglir

You didn't like the dub for Killer Constable? I thought every single voice was above average. Are there English dubs you do like?

Morgoth Bauglir

How anybody can say an inferior dub is far better than the original spoken word is perplexing. To each their own I guess. These movies play on a far more serious level in Chinese than they do with the laugh inducing effect these films propagate in English when viewed by somebody even remotely curious about these movies. For the genre to grow these movies need to be viewed on a more serious level to gain respect for what is arguably the most maligned film genre out there.

I can't agree with that at all. Maybe if I spoke Chinese I would listen to the Chinese dub, but when an English dub is done well, to me it is far superior to a Chinese dub. And I do view these movies on a serious level, very serious (like Killer Constable). I just love the dubs for most oldschool movies. But if you were talking aboiut newer movies, I would agree with you. I can't stand English dubs for movies from about 1993 and after.

Archived