Beach of the War gods DVD release!

Monk Sante

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow! Only 4.21 for the dvd. Can't beat that price, but I will wait until someone can confirm it's uncut:D

vonhumboldtfleisher

I have a couple of versions of this movie already - the Australian VHS rip is slightly letterboxed and looks nice, but it's trimmed, while another one - Ocean Shores? - seems complete but has a lot of video noise.

Looking forward to this one.

I guess this must be the same print as the Fortune Star VCD, which is pretty nice. Don't know if that's uncut, but it seems more than a decent release to me, although (might bother some) pic's about 1:85 though. Starts fully wide for the titles then crops. Nothing of any real detriment. Good film, don't feel any need to upgrade from the vcd, but recognise it as one of the real classic early '70s flicks. Large scope to it, good story, etc.. Gets some fighty carnage going on for the last battle. Love the Japanese guys (I say Japanese, Tsui Hung, Mao Shan, etc.) slightly greyed stick-on bald head make up. Whole film has quite a Japanese aesthetic, kind of a 7-Samurai and that ilk adaptation. Although amusingly as much as it shows straight up bare-faced Japanese influence, here they are of course the straight up bare-faced bad guys, full-stop. Mostly all round quite an epic. Slighty cropped dvd will be more than worth it for those who ain't seen it, print's otherwise glass. If it is cut, I wouldn't notice, there's more than enough violence left in.

If they get the aspect ratio right for the whole film, I will upgrade from the VCD. Otherwise, I don't think this is remastered at all.

ironfistedmonk

I just bought the NEW German release which looks Glass, it runs at 95 minutes is this uncut?

its got some minor framecuts, missing bits of shots that were battered, but i'd call it "uncut" from an fan point of view. at least i did not spot any Action Cuts, which were LOTS on the HK VHS / VCD.

i doubt the coming HK DVD will be much better... if good at all, seeing their crap record :(

so when you say the german version has the old english dub i take you mean the original old school dub. also are you saying this has been redubbed with new voices?

to dub or not to dub... that is the question... watch out for another Wang Yu Movie from the same Company with OLDSKOOL DUB!

I've just watched an old VCD of this. Don't even know where it's from, no English text on the cover, but it's cropped. So I assume someone has got hold of the FS dvd since the last entry three years ago. What's the verdict, uncut? Fully lbx? Thanks.

Archived