What if Ho Chung Tao ....

The Dragon

... excepted GH's offer to play Bruce's role in the '78 version of Game of Death, and got the opportunity to be choreographed by Sammo?

Do you think...?

a)The film could have played better?

b)The audiences would have excepted him?

c)It could have lead to better roles for him in the future?

d)He would have been up for the daunting task of Sammo's demands?

I saw him mention on an interview he was approached, but turned the offer down because he would have been a part of several "shadow" stars. He intimated he would have ceased "all of his other work to try his best to do justice to the Lee role."

After seeing him in Dynamo, choreographed by the Yuens, I would have to say it would have been interesting.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

I really like Ho Chung Tao and out of all the imitators he's probably my favorite, but I honestly think Kim Tai Chung was a better Martal Artist, especially in the kicking department. I do think Ho did a great job in Dynamo and believe he wouldn't have done to bad a job in GOD.

• Like 1

I dont think he would have been up to the task in terms of martial arts and the audience would not accept him as much as Tang Lung, and theres no way the film could be better with him. Its a mess of a movie really. I aint sure about that new Bruce TV series either, though the guy looks a lot like him the trailer dont look hot

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

If only Lee had lived to complete GOD it would have been awesome, at least we have the great fight footage of him he did shoot.

• Like 1

I have to say, if Raymond Chow did not make that deal with the Japanese distributors in the 70's, and Bruce did start GOD, I would think that if they were to do a GOD film, it should be how Bruce wanted it and maybe at the time, cast someone like Ho Chung-Tao or if it was made today, definitely Danny Chan.

• Like 1

New Game of Death -Pity that's one of Ho's worst efforts (early in his career)...if he'd made it later, say around the time of Soul Bros. of Kung fu it would have been a hell of a lot better.....

Chinatown Kid

Yeah this was one of Ho's first movies before he had a chance to mature as a screen fighter and looked pretty aweful. He improved alot by the time he made Dynamo and Soul Brothers of Kung Fu. He also looked great in The Lama Avenger. I just wish those films had got the remastered treatment instead of the crappy New Game of Death. :(

ChineseSausage
... excepted GH's offer to play Bruce's role in the '78 version of Game of Death, and got the opportunity to be choreographed by Sammo?

Do you think...?

a)The film could have played better?

b)The audiences would have excepted him?

c)It could have lead to better roles for him in the future?

d)He would have been up for the daunting task of Sammo's demands?

I saw him mention on an interview he was approached, but turned the offer down because he would have been a part of several "shadow" stars. He intimated he would have ceased "all of his other work to try his best to do justice to the Lee role."

After seeing him in Dynamo, choreographed by the Yuens, I would have to say it would have been interesting.:rolleyes:

a) Of course it would have, Ho Chung Tao's resemblance to Bruce Lee was a lot closer than any of the doubles they used in GOD, it would not be necessary to hide his facial features or, worse, do CARDBOARD cut ups in the mirror. The film could have got more continuity and the transition to the real Bruce Lee scenes would have been a lot smoother with Li.

B) There would be criticisms about using doubles, as they did back in the day, but I consider Ho Chung Tao a much better actor and consequently he would appeal much better to the audiences than the doubles with their hidden faces ever did.

c) Probably some other major studios would be interested in hiring him, but the Bruce Lee craze by that time was already beginning to start fading and replace by the ninjas. But I have my doubts on this one. Tai Chung Kim was not offered many roles after GOD. But Ho Chung Tao was a hotter commodity with the Bruceploitation craze in U.S. and Europe, it would have been easier for him to get better roles, as his films were more proven to sell.

d) By 1978 Ho Chung Tao was very polished as a martial artist. As we've seen in his better films, with the right choreographer and director, he would have met the demands, I think. Li was a hard worker, as evidenced in films like The Man, The Myth. He would have busted his ass to be as best as they demanded from him. I believe that he could at least do the fighting scenes that Tai Chung Kim did.

Guest Markgway

Casting Ho would have removed the need for all those riduclous insert shots and given a certain continuity to the character. However Harvest wanted to sell the film on Bruce Lee and use the 1972 tracksuit footage. Whichever way you look at it at some point the switch between Ho and Lee would have occured.

i like ho the best of all the clones but i don`t think it would have been any better, bob clouse was still directing. always thought bruce le would have been a better choice i think he resembled bruce the most.

• Like 1

i like ho the best of all the clones but i don`t think it would have been any better, bob clouse was still directing. always thought bruce le would have been a better choice i think he resembled bruce the most.

He is actually in the film: in the Lion Dance sequence, where Bob Wall chases Billy Lo through the streets, he is one of the students standing there watching the Lion Dance.

:nerd:

• Like 2

Cognoscente
On 4/5/2008 at 9:10 PM, The Dragon said:

c) It could have lead to better roles for him in the future?

d) He would have been up for the daunting task of Sammo's demands?

I can imagine him not wanting to do Tower of Death.

He had more experience with fight choreography than Kim Tai Jung, so I think Sammo would have raised the ante a bit.

• Like 2