Chang Yi's The Stormy Sun

Winfred

Has anyone picked up this classic Chang Yi movie on Fortune Star VCD? It has English subs. I wonder if it is released in the correct aspect ratio.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the screen captures Dragonherb. Is this DVD out of print? I can't find it on sale anywhere.

No longer sold at buyoyo and listed OOP at yesasia :( You could always trade it though if you don't feel like trying to track it down

Ordered the VCD from DDDhouse and it's coming with The Invincible Sword VCD. So sad that The Fast Sword, Lady Whirlwind and Bandits From Shantung are without English subs.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

No Haz. The Celestial version is not a Chang Yi film. I forget the guy's name who stars in it. Decent film too. I may be mis-remembering something though.

Oh.....we were referring to the Chang Yi movie The Fast Sword and not the Shaw movie The Fastest Sword which stars Lu Ping. So HAZ is correct. But that is such a lousy DVD!

Oh.....we were referring to the Chang Yi movie The Fast Sword and not the Shaw movie The Fastest Sword which stars Lu Ping. So HAZ is correct. But that is such a lousy DVD!

I could borrow the subs from the crappy DVD & add it to the VCD...

I am straining my eyes to read the small subs on the 2 VCDs. But the images are sharp and both releases can benefit from a DVD release even without being remastered.

vonhumboldtfleisher

I have STORMY SUN in WS with the burned-in subs - looks a lot like the one Dragonherb posted only I don't think mine is as crisp. Also got the dubbed VHS (under the title MASTER OF KUNG FU). I've tried a few times to line the English audio up with the WS version, but they seem to be at completely different framerates (even when I re-time the audio to match the running lengths and compensate for NTSC framerates), and lose sync within a minute or so. Also, both have pretty fuzzy audio. I might pick up the VCD and see how it looks.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77&d=1207207564

Check out the architecture of the wall in the background; you only can have one guess as to which country this was filmed in! Put it this way: I want a brick wall like that in my back garden, yet you won't see a wall like it anywhere in the West! This kind of architecture is so distinctive. So which country do you think it is? It's still my number 1 destination. :)

What do you guys think of the film, overall? I found it to be pretty interesting, but low budget sets and cold Korean backdrops, make you feel the artists, weren't really enjoying the shoot. It comes across the screen to me.:o

Archived