The Tai-Chi Master (DVD - Dragon Dynasty)

BLfan

• Administrator

I just discovered something weird about the strange video problem on TAI-CHI MASTER.

When I got this, I wanted to watch it immediately, but the living room TV was in use, so I watched on an older set in my cellar. I saw the bizarre staggering video problem and wrote about it here. Later that night I watched the rest of the movie in my bedroom, and still saw this annoying flaw.

Right now I'm sick, and have been camped out on the living room couch. Today while I was sleeping my wife had to go out for an appointment. Before she left she grabbed a kung fu DVD from my "watching/about to watch pile" and put in in the player so there would be something in there for me when I woke up. I had TAI-CHI master there, because I was going to listen to the rest of the commentary, and that's what she put in. When I woke up and saw the menu playing, I decided to just watch some of the fight scenes again. The picture problem was gone! For some reason it doesn't show up on my widescreen HD TV, but it does on my older sets. The DVD players in the living room and the cellar are the exact same models, so it has nothing to do with those. This explains (sort of) why some people aren't mentioning this problem/ aren't seeing it (Like Mark and DVD Beaver), and others are going "What?! Are you kidding?! How can you not see that?"

I'm not very knowledgeable about technical stuff, so I have no clue why this is happening. But I thought if I shared this info/discovery, someone out there would probably have the answers to this mysterious problem.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the '5 Fingers Of Death' trailer (on the 'King Boxer' disc) plays on my PAL CRT TV (PAL60), it goes apeshit by going forwards and backwards for some reason. The PC plays it, but still with ghosting.

Maybe the DVD is encoded in a strange way that your TV refuses to accept the signal, but the audio will be alright. That is a bizarre problem.

I remember you noticed the problem on David Chiang's featurette on MB's 'Deadly Duo' and sure enough, you were right. MB seem to have de-interlaced it, only it went wrong (lines appearing at the side of objects whenever anything moved). Ti Lung's is fine though.

I just discovered something weird about the strange video problem on TAI-CHI MASTER.

When I got this, I wanted to watch it immediately, but the living room TV was in use, so I watched on an older set in my cellar. I saw the bizarre staggering video problem and wrote about it here. Later that night I watched the rest of the movie in my bedroom, and still saw this annoying flaw.

Right now I'm sick, and have been camped out on the living room couch. Today while I was sleeping my wife had to go out for an appointment. Before she left she grabbed a kung fu DVD from my "watching/about to watch pile" and put in in the player so there would be something in there for me when I woke up. I had TAI-CHI master there, because I was going to listen to the rest of the commentary, and that's what she put in. When I woke up and saw the menu playing, I decided to just watch some of the fight scenes again. The picture problem was gone! For some reason it doesn't show up on my widescreen HD TV, but it does on my older sets. The DVD players in the living room and the cellar are the exact same models, so it has nothing to do with those. This explains (sort of) why some people aren't mentioning this problem/ aren't seeing it (Like Mark and DVD Beaver), and others are going "What?! Are you kidding?! How can you not see that?"

I'm not very knowledgeable about technical stuff, so I have no clue why this is happening. But I thought if I shared this info/discovery, someone out there would probably have the answers to this mysterious problem.

I have a widescreen HD TV. The video problems of Tai Chi Master still show up there.

That's the only way I've watched it is on my 1080p widescreen HDTV, using my PS3, and the prolem definitely shows up there. What would cause something like this to show up on some TVs and some not? WHAT IS GOING ON??

• Administrator
That's the only way I've watched it is on my 1080p widescreen HDTV, using my PS3, and the prolem definitely shows up there. What would cause something like this to show up on some TVs and some not? WHAT IS GOING ON??

:o

It could be that your DVD player connected to the HDTV is connected via component cable (a red, green and blue 3 phono to 3 phono) or HDMI cable and that player is sending a progressive scan picture to your TV. While on your older TV's where the problem is noticeable you are using a scart lead, S VHS cable or composite cable (3 phono to 3 phono - red, white and yellow (red and white audio - yellow video).

The Running Man

I think you're confusing Kung Fu Bob's situation with Deathshrike, blue skies. It was Kung Fu Bob who said that different TVs of his are showing problems.

For the record, my connection from DVD to my TV is through an HDMI cable and the problem is as clear as day. I personally have not seen a single TV that has not shown this problem. Even through the computer it's obvious.

• Administrator
It could be that your DVD player connected to the HDTV is connected via component cable (a red, green and blue 3 phono to 3 phono) or HDMI cable and that player is sending a progressive scan picture to your TV. While on your older TV's where the problem is noticeable you are using a scart lead, S VHS cable or composite cable (3 phono to 3 phono - red, white and yellow (red and white audio - yellow video).

And we have a winner!!!:)

Wow, that's exactly right. I even went and checked to make sure after reading your post. Now, can you explain in lamen's terms the reason for this. What is that difference in cables causing... slowly please, and with techno-dolt proof terminology? :o

I think you're confusing Kung Fu Bob's situation with Deathshrike, blue skies. It was Kung Fu Bob who said that different TVs of his are showing problems.

For the record, my connection from DVD to my TV is through an HDMI cable and the problem is as clear as day. I personally have not seen a single TV that has not shown this problem. Even through the computer it's obvious.

Yes, exactly. My PS3 is connected via HDMI, and the issue is present. In fact, I suspect that the issue Kung Fu Bob has noticed is might actually not the issue Running Man and I are complaining about, but rather a different kind of artifact caused by his setup. But maybe not. This is driving me crazy.

And we have a winner!!!:)

Wow, that's exactly right. I even went and checked to make sure after reading your post. Now, can you explain in lamen's terms the reason for this. What is that difference in cables causing... slowly please, and with techno-dolt proof terminology? :o

Basically your HDTV has more advanced features (the ability to display progressive scan signals from your DVD player) combined with the fact that your TV can only receive progressive scan pictures through an HDMI or component cable.

To be honest I'm not exactly sure how progressive scan works but it tends to improve the image quality and lessen/remove any judder on fast Moving Objects/fast camera pans. I'm sure somebody else can explain it better.

HDMI and component cables offer the best possible picture from your DVD/TV .

my mistake I read the thread earlier yesterday but couldn't post, when I could I clearly quoted the wrong post.

Archived