The Tai-Chi Master (DVD - Dragon Dynasty)

BLfan

The Amazing Psycho Per
What's this French DVD I keep hearing about?

It's released by HK Video, a french company in wich Christophe Gans (Brotherhood of the wolf's director) is involved. Unfortunately for you english speakers, they never or rarely includes eng. subs, only sometimes the english dub and Tai Chi master is no exception... Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.fr/Tai-Chi-Master-%C3%89dition-Collector-DVD/dp/B00006LAA7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1221084721&sr=8-1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having just seen the DD disc i must say the sound is terrible, not as bad as the HKL Warriors Two but still spoilt by added sound fx which are not needed even on the so called " mono cantonese track".

Its a shame as the rest of the dvd is great with good extras.:S

I got DD's Tai Chi Master the other day. I don't have the time to be doing anymore full on reviews like I did I the past, but I figured I'd give a bit of a rundown on the major aspects to this disc. The skinny is that it isn't a good product.

But the part that surprised me was the picture. Looking at the pics posted elsewhere, it looks nice enough and even better than the French disc I think. However, actually watching it reveals a problem that brings the quality of this disc even lower. On most of the frames of this movie, something really strange occurs where there is a cut, the start of the very next frame starts to stutter for a bit then keep going. It's almost like a slight slow motion effect. I remember seeing something like it on the Mei Ah DVD of Hard Boiled where it did it about once or twice to cover some missing frames. But in this case, it happens for a good amount of time during the movie and it's extremely annoying.

I just bought this disc on Wednesday and I checked out several scenes on two different players and two different TV sets, a 32-inch Sony Bravia LCD and a 13-inch CRT monitor, and I didn't see anything like the frame "stutter" you describe. The image looked fine to me. Maybe it was a problem with the first wave of discs transferred or something.

I just bought this disc on Wednesday and I checked out several scenes on two different players and two different TV sets, a 32-inch Sony Bravia LCD and a 13-inch CRT monitor, and I didn't see anything like the frame "stutter" you describe. The image looked fine to me. Maybe it was a problem with the first wave of discs transferred or something.

Sorry to press the issue, but are you SURE? I would love to pick up a new one to see if this has been fixed, but I would like to make damn sure it is not on all discs. It occurs, on my disc, at every edit in the film. If you freeze the image you can even register the bizarrely blurred frames. Any added information would be nice!

Nothing has been fixed. Some people are just oblivious to things.

Sigh. That's what I thought. Honestly, I don't see how people could miss this flaw.

Killer Meteor
Sigh. That's what I thought. Honestly, I don't see how people could miss this flaw.

Even DVD Beaver didn't pick on it. No wonder the people here can't

Even DVD Beaver didn't pick on it. No wonder the people here can't

Really... Are we sure it's not just our discs? I mean, that doesn't really make sense, but I would expect the Beaver to pick up on it! Could there be just a bad batch of discs?

The Running Man

DVD Beaver is a horrible review site. It claims to be the incredibly thorough but all it is is basically a picture gallery along with stats of discs. Nothing more.

The guy running it didn't even notice that the Hard Boiled subtitles were in fact dubtitles on the DD release. He had to be emailed about it.

He also never noticed that the subtitles on DD's Fist of Legend turn straight into dubtitles about an hour or so in the movie (one of the most bizarre mistakes I've ever seen).

Killer Meteor
Really... Are we sure it's not just our discs? I mean, that doesn't really make sense, but I would expect the Beaver to pick up on it! Could there be just a bad batch of discs?

Apparently the flaws are also there on the Kung Fu HD version

And regarding dubtitles, to be fair, if you don't listen to the dub, you might not be aware of the dubtitles on certain discs

Apparently the flaws are also there on the Kung Fu HD version

Damn! How sad. This film is one of my favorites.

Killer Meteor
Damn! How sad. This film is one of my favorites.

The French DVD could be the source of a good fan project, so all is not lost

The French DVD could be the source of a good fan project, so all is not lost

I never seem to stumble upon these mythical "fan projects" though.

Well it hasn't happened yet!

I mean other fan made projects. The only place for them is Demonoid and they have closed their doors to outsiders! Sadness.

Killer Meteor
I mean other fan made projects. The only place for them is Demonoid and they have closed their doors to outsiders! Sadness.

never heard of them!

never heard of them!

It's naughty. It's like a torrent repository for OOP/unreleased/fan-edited stuff. If you want a version of Highlander 2 that features all the special extra footage, but still has the plot of them being space aliens, that's where you would go. People put out a bunch of fanmade special editions there.

The Running Man
Fair enough. But I always thought they were more thorough when it came to picture quality.

If they were, then they would have noticed the problem with Fist of Legend and Tai Chi Master's video.

I never seem to stumble upon these mythical "fan projects" though.

There are people who already made their own Tai Chi Master custom DVDs. You just have to know who those people are and contact them personally.

If they were, then they would have noticed the problem with Fist of Legend and Tai Chi Master's video.

There are people who already made their own Tai Chi Master custom DVDs. You just have to know who those people are and contact them personally.

Are they ninjas? Will they emerge in a puff of smoke on the ceiling and give me their emails? I will watch the skies for them.

To be honest, no release is great.

Video:

Dimension = Best levels.

French = Anamorphic and most stable.

(Dragon Dynasty has this frame problem and the levels look poor)

Audio:

Laserdisc.

(French fluctuates in speed from scene-to-scene)

Subtitles:

French (for those speakers, I'm sure theirs are good).

Dragon Dynasty's are probably better than Universe's, but still not a re-translation.

As others have said about HK cinema and DVDBeaver, they are only good for the captures and specs.

Archived