The Tai-Chi Master (DVD - Dragon Dynasty)

BLfan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mediaguy

Thanks for the update.

I'm ever hopeful to see some of Jet's best released on DD label. I'm liking for the most part their releases thus far.

I check hkflix for pre-release information. The artwork on hflix for Tai Chi Master looks like its either from another region (previous DVD release or one of the bogus Special Limited Edition DVDs produced in somebody's extra warehouse space).

Does anyone know if hflix re-release data has been historically accurate or not?

bamboo spear

Was Tai Chi 2 the one where the master left the martial world at the beginning, and the guy kept showing up to fight him? The son grew up and ended up fighting the East India Company in a warehouse or something. I had the VHS in the 90's but never searched for it on DVD.

venom10463
Was Tai Chi 2 the one where the master left the martial world at the beginning, and the guy kept showing up to fight him? The son grew up and ended up fighting the East India Company in a warehouse or something. I had the VHS in the 90's but never searched for it on DVD.

Yep, starring Wu Jing and also Billy Chow.

David Rees

Was released in the UK by HK Legends as Tai Chi Boxer.

Vety good underated film IMO.

Official HK DVD'S from only $1.49!...CLICK HERE

1 disc or 2, it's going to be great to have the movie un-cut and with a better print than my old VHS.....called Twin Warriors.

So according to the reviews from the above links, this release has image, sound and subtitles issues.

Guest Yi-Long
So according to the reviews from the above links, this release has image, sound and subtitles issues.

Wow.... it seems they really rushed this release in order to bring this classic to the fans as soon as possible(!) [/obvious sarcasm-mode]

Bunch of f-ing amateurs over at Dragon Dynasty... :mad:

Yi-Long, I have to agree with you there, why rush a project when its not a 100% correct from start to finish. I'll be honest some of the best remastered movies was from AnimEigo. Too bad they didn't do HK Movies as well.

How could Dragon Dynasty manage to do this considering this title was promised last year? The sound issue is worrying since I own the HK version for 1 day and that had really bad sound problems (returned for a refund).

The Running Man
Bunch of f-ing amateurs over at Dragon Dynasty...

The DD disc has problems? Color me shocked. :rolleyes:

Guest Markgway
Both Cantonese tracks are flawed. It sounds as though they were both remixed with new digitally recorded foley effects, not unlike IVL’s early Shaw Brothers releases.

Say it ain't so.... :(

Yeoh receives equally glowing praise when Mitchell rightly reminds us how she completely overshadowed Pierce Brosnan in TOMORROW NEVER DIES.

She did?

Whatever small faults I may cite The Weinstein Company for, the brothers Weinstein have still come a long way since their Miramax days

I wouldn't class remixed audio as a "small fault" though. That's worse than Brett "I know Jackie" Ratner.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yes, can we please just kick Ratner off the planet and be done with it?

Killer Meteor
Say it ain't so.... :(

She did?

I wouldn't class remixed audio as a "small fault" though. That's worse than Brett "I know Jackie" Ratner.

I agree. Reviewers are always too damn forgiving with these jokers. Not so much Weinstein, who is simply following a trend about 50 billion years too late, as he did with his early Jet Li releases designed to win over middle America with five minutes left before closing time at the video store, but the HKL/DD video team, who repeatedly screw up

On the matter of the foley, was FS responsible for supplying the materials - I know this isn't a film they control but perhaps they have the elements. Could this be another case of them supplying a downmix in place of genuine mono?

Oh well, Vive La France!

The Running Man
Reviewers are always too damn forgiving with these jokers.

It was the same case with HKL and their blunders. It's a poor standard of reviewing and in certain forums it seems if you speak out against it, you get flamed at.

On the matter of the foley, was FS responsible for supplying the materials

No. It was Golden Harvest.

There is no excuse for the audio screw up. The French release had Cantonese mono and it had no problems.

The Running Man

I got DD's Tai Chi Master the other day. I don't have the time to be doing anymore full on reviews like I did I the past, but I figured I'd give a bit of a rundown on the major aspects to this disc. The skinny is that it isn't a good product.

Going right to it, the Cantonese "mono" track is clearly a downmix of the remix track available on the disc. How did this happen is a real mystery. The French release has a perfect, healthy, and genuine mono track. It's totally out of whack with the sound levels all over the place. Dialog is mostly muffled the majority of the time and if there is music and sound effects then it gets lost. It's actually preferable to listen to the 5.1 mix as it at least separates the music and sound effects a bit so that it's easier on the ears, but it's certainly not a good track to listen to either. It isn't the same remix track as heard on the Universe disc though, but it isn't that much better.

The best quality track on the DD release is actually the English 5.1 and that's because the DVD uses the Dimension English dub of it. But what's strange is that for the parts that were cut out of the Dimension version, it reverts to the old English dub. For anyone who chooses to watch it this way it will be a strange experience since at times the dub will suddenly have totally different voices for certain scenes and completely different music (the Dimension version changed the music). Why didn't DD simply commission a new dub or, just redub the cut parts since they are using Harvey Weinstein's people for any DVD they make a dub for? Or, if they had access to the old dub, why not just use that? Anything to avoid a skitzofrentic track that will confuse anyone watching it.

But the part that surprised me was the picture. Looking at the pics posted elsewhere, it looks nice enough and even better than the French disc I think. However, actually watching it reveals a problem that brings the quality of this disc even lower. On most of the frames of this movie, something really strange occurs where there is a cut, the start of the very next frame starts to stutter for a bit then keep going. It's almost like a slight slow motion effect. I remember seeing something like it on the Mei Ah DVD of Hard Boiled where it did it about once or twice to cover some missing frames. But in this case, it happens for a good amount of time during the movie and it's extremely annoying.

If one wants to chalk it up to the print, then I ask why didn't the previous Dimension and French releases share this problem?

Going the extras, like I imagined the best ones are with Chin Siu Ho and the one on Tai Chi. The others are two interviews with critic Elvis Mitchell and Brett Ratner. As was expressed here before by some, Ratner is clearly here just for cheap added attraction to whomever out there is a fan of him. He has little knowledge on Asian cinema an is obviously just ranting on the little that he knows. Mind you, Ratner on his Police Story commentary pointed out Bridgette Lin and identified her as Maggie Cheung. So you can just imagine the little you will gain from listening to him on not one, but two separate interviews.

Should you buy this disc? Truthfully, if you have access to the French DVD and know how to add subtitles to it, then you automatically have a better product than this. Genuine mono and a decent picture with no strange frame flaws that repeat throughout a good portion of the movie.

I'm just curious has anyone tried to contact DD and make any complaints about this movie yet. Since nobody is happy about this new release.

anyone else seen this in the stores early? I saw this on the shelf at FYE last Friday, and was surprised because the official street date is tomorrow.

oldeschool17
I'm just curious has anyone tried to contact DD and make any complaints about this movie yet. Since nobody is happy about this new release.

And contact who, Bey Logan (cause you wont get anybody else)? I think it's quite clear by now that he only has input on the commentaries and maybe the acquisitions? As far as production and final product, forget it.

Archived