No Third "Fantastic Four"

AlbertV

From Dark Horizons:

Chris Evans, who played Johnny "Human Torch" Storm in the two Fantastic Four movies, said in a recent interview that a third FF movie is highly unlikely...here's what he said:

"I'm pretty sure we won't do [another] one. I'm assuming that one is a closed book. ...It takes up a lot of time. It's a big commitment. I'm happy with walking away"..

The first one was okay, but the second seemed too lighter than the 1st, despite Silver Surfer's appearance IMO.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing the second one I'm actually relieved they wont make another one!!! I'm always optimistic when I hear about these live action super hero movies and I'm always dissapointed..Lets hope Iron Man is good! :)

I think fantastic four was 1 of the worst comic book tie-ins of the lastest crop that have been released,im hoping Iron man and the New hulk film will be good tho.

Sounds like Chris is just not pleased with the lull after the second film. Perhaps the immediate reaction after the first film, in doing a sequel, spoiled it for him. Its too bad because he was probably the best aspect of the quartet.

I didn't really care for the second film either. However, it did make nearly $300M (a tidy sum) and Fox would be crazy not to continue the franchise. There's a ton of material already there to adapt into future films. Lee and Kirby created a gold mine of potential blockbusters in their 102 issue run (I've owned most / read all).

Here’s some numbers (all US$) to crunch:

FF #1 Budget: $100 million

Worldwide Gross: $330,120,875 (in 175 days)

Ranked #11 for 2005

FF#2 Budget: $130 million

Worldwide Gross: $288,564,519 (in 126 days)

Ranked #17 for 2007

Granted, no where near Spidey's numbers but even each of those films' (domestic) $$$ were off slightly from the previous release. Foreign returns gave SM3 a big boost. Anyhow, here's hoping that we still get to see the Skrulls, the Inhumans, the Negative Zone, the REAL Galactus, the Watcher, etc....

froffeecoffee

YEAHHHHH!!!! No more FF movies. I watched the 1st one on t.v. couple of weeks ago. Could not stand it, so I didn't bother watching all of it. It's that bad. This franchise is a case of studios having no clue about what makes the comic so good.

Everyone is miscast. Except for the Thing and Johnny Storm. But still, their characters are poorly written and givin' nothing to do. The drastic changes in the comic source really hurt it too. And Jessica Alba looks fantastic, but I'm starting to realize, she's a terrible actress. Because of the miscasting, her and Ioan Gruffudd being romantically involved just looks creepy. If for some reason they make another one, get people who understand the dynamics and would take care to know the history of these characters and stories. Like Sam Raimi or Jon Favreau (who I think has made a great Iron Man movie from what I'm hearin'), who both respect the comics and their audiences.

There's really no difference between these films and the Roger Corman version from the early 90's late 80's. Same dull acting, action, and special fx. Can we get something fresh for a change?

So far, Batman Begins and Christopher Reeve's original Superman The Movie is about the best I've seen.

Mr. Vampire

Batman Begins did a lot to redeem the previous couple of attempts.

I am hoping that they'll get Iron Man right, but the way hollywood does films these days in general doesn't give me much hope. And I wish they'd stop with the "Soundtrack with popular bands that have a generic sound that typifies their genre" shit. It ruins the movie, if it wasn't already halfassed to begin with IMO.

The rumor is true...has been developed and looks like there is going to be a cast set...

Yes, there is a Fantastic Four reboot in the works...Josh Trank (CHRONICLE) is directing it and as of today, deals are being made with the four who may play the heroes:

Miles Teller as Reed Richards

Kate Mara as Sue Storm

Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm

Jamie Bell as Ben Grimm (The Thing is said to be possibly CGI for this one)

Source: Dark Horizons

I'll probably wait for cable to see this. Shame because the FF universe had so much depth and engaging adversaries yet the franchise just hasn't been as successful as Spidey or XM.

I grew up with FF and still have my FF heavy comic book collection to this day. I'm actually really excited for this one.

I'm not sure about the cast, other than Michael B. Jordan, but I have faith in the director and hope he tackles it in a mature and original way.

Nice. What issues you holding DM?

Something like issue # 312 to issue # 405. My collection is actually back at my mum's house in the UK but I took a photo last time I was there...

HiGVnlk.jpg

That's a nice chunk of books. Haven't read many from that era; late 80s on. I recognize that foil cover (FF 375) as I had a few dozen, circa 1993-95, back then. I believe Steve Englehart worked on the early 300's and I was always curious about those issues. Never got to finish reading my John Byrne run and wound up selling them off. I still wish I had my earliest FF (Issue #6 .. Sub/Doom team-up). The condition was crap but what a book.

That's a nice chunk of books. Haven't read many from that era; late 80s on. I recognize that foil cover (FF 375) as I had a few dozen, circa 1993-95, back then. I believe Steve Englehart worked on the early 300's and I was always curious about those issues. Never got to finish reading my John Byrne run and wound up selling them off. I still wish I had my earliest FF (Issue #6 .. Sub/Doom team-up). The condition was crap but what a book.

My dad still has an amazing amount of early FF issues. I think he had # 1 at one point but, right now, has, like # 5 through # 18 or something.

Sadly, he and I don't see eye to eye anymore and so I doubt I will ever see them handed down.

I'm happy with my collection though. It's small but really sentimental and I feel it was a pretty good run.

My only problem that a fair chunk of it features Walt Simonson's art and I can't say I'm a fan. It's the same with my Iron Man collection. A great run with some John Romita Jr. art that just doesn't work for ol' Shell Head.

They shouldn't address it at all. Johnny and Sue are brother and sister. We all know that. They don't have to address it, just because a bunch of racists want their version of the film.

They shouldn't address it at all. Johnny and Sue are brother and sister. We all know that. They don't have to address it, just because a bunch of racists want their version of the film.

I agree...I think this would put a nice modern-day spin on the legend. I liked Jordan in Chronicle, so I am interested to see how he fares as the new Human Torch.

Secret Executioner

Wait... THAT too is already fucked up before filming even starts ? Yeah, it sure is fitting to make Johnny a black guy, I mean, Marvel has zero Black characters, right ? Luke Cage, Storm, Black Panther... Guess they don't exist. :rolleyes:

Wait... THAT too is already fucked up before filming even starts ? Yeah, it sure is fitting to make Johnny a black guy, I mean, Marvel has zero Black characters, right ? Luke Cage, Storm, Black Panther... Guess they don't exist. :rolleyes:

Well, it`s not 1st time they do it. Nick Fury in comics is white but on film samuel l. jackson brings some "colour" to character...

If new FF is better than ff2,fine. Even that was superior to daredevil and elektra which were abysmal adaptions of fine comics. I have no idea how they were able to f*ck up those 2 so badly:tinysmile_angry2_t::cry:

Well, it`s not 1st time they do it. Nick Fury in comics is white but on film samuel l. jackson brings some "colour" to character...

If new FF is better than ff2,fine. Even that was superior to daredevil and elektra which were abysmal adaptions of fine comics. I have no idea how they were able to f*ck up those 2 so badly:tinysmile_angry2_t::cry:

Nick Fury started off white in the comic book. However, in their Ultimates line of comic books he was re-imagined as a black guy who looks like Sam Jackson. Also, he was based on Jackson. Artist do use photos and models for references. This particular artist based the look on Jackson. Supposedly he found out and told Marvel he won't sue if they use him as Nick Fury for their future movies.

I blame Daredevil on the director Mark Steven Johnson who never directed an action movie and the only other movie I recall him directing beforehand was Simon Birch. Also, the script by David Goyer. Goyer loves to rip source material from comic book then bastardize and butcher it to hell.

Secret Executioner

I felt DD was okay. Elektra however... Yuck.

I'm confused with what you're saying. Are you saying Johnny Storm shouldn't be played by a black actor because there are existing black characters and so "race bending" isn't necessary?

I believe race shouldn't even be a factor. Why, in 2014, are we still dividing black and white like it actually means something?

Johnny Storm is all about a braggadocio attitude. If a black actor can pull that off...awesome! The fact it's Michael B. Jordan who had one of the greatest performances of 2013 makes it amazing. He's a fantastic talent and, in my opinion, a future Oscar winner.

It's so sad that people aren't colour blind these days. Sure, if they cast Will Smith to play Frank Sinatra, that might be odd. But a fictional character? Hell, I'd love to see a black Batman and if Idris Elba isn't the next James Bond, it'll be an absolute tragedy.

Yojimbo I was not aware of that Nick Fury issue, I have not touched marvel comic in last 10 years except re-re-reading secret wars hardcover collection...Interesting...

GHw I did hear from some sources directors cut is better of DD but I was so disappointed of "original" I do not want to check out..I seriously doubt even some improvement would not make me like it but that I will never know...

Archived