Most over-rated kung fu actor

Jstn

Morgoth Bauglir

lol good post northern b. Well explained. I thought maybe you were still going to this vendor, and I wanted to steer you away. I'm only 25, so while I love these movies, I am still a bit of a beginner, even though I've been watching these movies for about 15 years. When I first started getting into kung fu movies after seeing a couple of oldschoolers on TV, I went to the video store and rented every kf movie I could find. Then I found this place at the mall that had an endless supply of bootleg tapes. $1 each, and I would buy at least 5 at a time. I would watch them and decide for myself what I thought of them. I never knew anybody else who liked these movies. I got a lot of people into these movies, but never found somebody who knew more than me, nobody that I could learn from. So because I never had any recommendations from anyone, I think that's a big reason why I don't get this whole overrated thing. Luckily I started going on the internet abotu 3 years ago and found that there are other people that know about kung fu movies. I started learning the actors names, finding good movies I had never heard of, and I have been in heaven ever since.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way of the Dragon

Im sorry to go back to what people were saying a while back, but Bruce Lee is the best, he fights amazingly. You cant say he is over-rated. He is popular because he is THAT good!

Way of the Dragon

He also was very wise, I love his philosophy and teachings, they have inspired me and others all around the world.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Hwang Jang Lee had great charisma and presence. Perfect for a lead villian. The man deserved to star in better films simple as that. Kid From Kwangtung is his highest budget film I'm aware of. The silly cat possession style kinda spoiled what otherwise could've been an all time classic film. With a better hero than Wang Yu of course. Here it comes. LOL But really, Hwang Jang Lee deserved better films to play the roles of ultimate bad ass villan in. It's a shame.

Morgoth Bauglir

I agree. I thought Kid From Kwangtung was a really horrible movie, but definitely worth watching for Hwang Jang Lee and Yen Shi Kwan fans. And I don't really like to bash on these movies, but I can't leave this alone. I didn't like Kid from Kwangtung too much as a movie, but the ending left a very bad taste in my mouth. that has to be the most distasteful ending I have ever seen in a kung fu movie.

Well said, and you're definately right about versatility. I suppose the ultimate on screen martial artist would be someone well rounded in both upper and lower body, as well as weapon skill and ability to handle different sorts of action choreography. I do still believe though, that in his prime, Hwang Jang Lee was the best in what he did, and in the late 70s/early 80s, there were no actors who stood close to him when it came to delivering forceful and aesthetic kicks.

Without a doubt, he has some incredible kicking ability. He always played a cool villian too. :)

I agree. I thought Kid From Kwangtung was a really horrible movie, but definitely worth watching for Hwang Jang Lee and Yen Shi Kwan fans. And I don't really like to bash on these movies, but I can't leave this alone. I didn't like Kid from Kwangtung too much as a movie, but the ending left a very bad taste in my mouth. that has to be the most distasteful ending I have ever seen in a kung fu movie.

How did it end again? I saw that movie at one point, but can't remember what happened in the end.

If you aren't paying full atention, you could easily miss it. It has to do with Yen Shi Kwan...

I'll have to check it out later, see if i can pick it up : )

overrated? well im straying from the bruce debate simply because i see both sides of the issue, however that does not deter me from thinking of how truly badass bruce was, and what a profound effect he had on me and millions of others.

ok back to overrated. john liu. jimmy wang yu. david chiang. lo leih.

but being overrated won't stop me from watching some of their best pictures

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

BRUCE LEE MOST UNDERRATED.

BULL MALARKY!!!!!!!!

Had he LIVED and GONE to Shaw Brothers.

My G-g who could have imagined the mix that Might have been revealed......

Poppycock to you WHOM++++++++ + don't know Mr. Lee??????????

GD Y-Y

Although I generally really like his films, David Chiang's martial arts skills are a bit lacking. I always felt there was too much editing in his fight scenes, and when there wasn't, he looked overmatched and somewhat stiff.

Also, even though I don't really have a solid reason, I never enjoyed watching Meng Fei either.

Bruce Lee?

Kidding... But you guys must admit that his onscreen fight scenes stand out as something out of the ordinary?

I think Yuen Biao's fight vs Frankie Chan The Prodigal Son End Fight is up there

but still the karisma is missing. Everyone talked about the new Bruce lee when Tony Ja showed up but i fell asleep by these Thai movies during Tom Yum Goong

But i think the two guys from "The Rebel" Johnny Nguyen and Dustin Nguyen have more potential actor wise..

Well i don't like the snowball effect we often see when it concern Bruce Lee. It's like he turn more and more un human for each year that go by. This by pathetic collectors who have everything to earn about giving him Elvis status

so they can make books or give like taste samples or bits and pieces of their lifelong hard earn collection. People get grumpy and penurious because they have some material that is rare or unique this is If people don't give them credit and almost worship them.. But still there is a a lot of old magazines and some unknown collectors around. which don't care that much about showing or giving away scans/copies of their material.

shaolin drunkard
Bruce Lee?

Kidding... But you guys must admit that his onscreen fight scenes stand out as something out of the ordinary?

No disagreement there.Men just stand there waiting to be punched or kicked by bruce.In big boss situation was not that bad but movie by movie bruce grew to be superhuman.Lack of great one to one fights make me feel his movies are far too overrated.

You two Drunks got a bloody cheek! :l

Men have stood around to be punched in a lot of films-before Lee... and definetly after! If others during his era, prior to his death had challenged themselves creatively, I'm certain even he would have to up the ante on his choreography. He was around for such a short time, it's almost unfair to judge an incomplete career, HK-wise. Imagine he working with the likes of Pops or Tang Chia, performing shapes, using traditional weapons, etc. Just thinking about it gives me chills, for certain.

In the end, Lee would have excelled as a baddie... He had far too much charisma/energy for that to not been his greatest asset. Like Beardy, an athletic performer, very convincing in whatever the choreographer lead him to do, Lee could have done good business there. Rebellious Reign could have been a classic, with Chang Cheh directing.

You two Drunks got a bloody cheek! :l

Men have stood around to be punched in a lot of films-before Lee... and definetly after! If others during his era, prior to his death had challenged themselves creatively, I'm certain even he would have to up the ante on his choreography. He was around for such a short time, it's almost unfair to judge an incomplete career, HK-wise. Imagine he working with the likes of Pops or Tang Chia, performing shapes, using traditional weapons, etc. Just thinking about it gives me chills, for certain.

In the end, Lee would have excelled as a baddie... He had far too much charisma/energy for that to not been his greatest asset. Like Beardy, an athletic performer, very convincing in whatever the choreographer lead him to do, Lee could have done good business there. Rebellious Reign could have been a classic, with Chang Cheh directing.

That’s like saying, “Imagine Blood Sport if Van Damme wasn’t in it and, instead, it was Donnie Yen and his opponents were played by Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung, Jet Li, Gordon Liu, The Venoms, Hwang Jang Lee and Lau Kar Leung with Yuen Woo Ping directing and Zhang Ziyi doing ass to mouth halfway through it.”

It didn’t happen, did it?

Those who criticize Bruce Lee, do so based on what we have as evidence…his movies.

The man was talented. Incredibly so. I, personally, just feel that the material he put out is overrated and he, in those movies, is also overly praised.

That’s not to say I don’t think he didn’t have potential. I’m sure he would have gone on to do incredible things. He contributed a lot to the genre. Sadly, though, we won’t ever know what he could have done and, in my eyes, we’re left with mostly mediocre stuff (bar some outstanding moments).

I do understand, however, that Bruce Lee fans are die hard. For example, try telling one of those girly teeny boppers with the black eye liner and Vampire Weekend album collection that “Twilight” is shit. They’ll claw your eyes out.

The same goes for Bruce Lee fans. They’ll never be convinced otherwise.

I consider myself an admirer of Bruce Lee, the man, but I’m just not overly impressed with his movies.

That’s like saying, “Imagine Blood Sport if Van Damme wasn’t in it and, instead, it was Donnie Yen and his opponents were played by Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung, Jet Li, Gordon Liu, The Venoms, Hwang Jang Lee and Lau Kar Leung with Yuen Woo Ping directing and Zhang Ziyi doing ass to mouth halfway through it.”

It didn’t happen, did it?

Those who criticize Bruce Lee, do so based on what we have as evidence…his movies.

The man was talented. Incredibly so. I, personally, just feel that the material he put out is overrated and he, in those movies, is also overly praised.

That’s not to say I don’t think he didn’t have potential. I’m sure he would have gone on to do incredible things. He contributed a lot to the genre. Sadly, though, we won’t ever know what he could have done and, in my eyes, we’re left with mostly mediocre stuff (bar some outstanding moments).

I do understand, however, that Bruce Lee fans are die hard. For example, try telling one of those girly teeny boppers with the black eye liner and Vampire Weekend album collection that “Twilight” is shit. They’ll claw your eyes out.

The same goes for Bruce Lee fans. They’ll never be convinced otherwise.

I consider myself an admirer of Bruce Lee, the man, but I’m just not overly impressed with his movies.

Point very well made; Bruce Lee was an phenomenal martial arts practicioner, regardless of the quality of his movies.

XD Damn that's some funny stuff I've read on here for a long time, thank god a few haven't lost their sense of humor on this site.

XDFrom the naked pics I seen of Zhang Ziyi on the beach I think it's her boyfriend that likes ass to mouth.

David Chiang, even though I like him, is definetly overrated.

Archived