Most over-rated kung fu actor

Jstn

As the past becomes more distant, memories fade, and sometimes the appreciation does as well.

Wow. After that statement, there were no more comments? C'mon, revive this topic!

Over-Rated:

Adam Cheng

Wei Pai

Chan Wai Man

Meng Fei

Chen Sing

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

The only one on your list that I can even slightly agree with is Wei Pai. he never impressed me much as a fighter. I don't like threads like this because I don't like to see my favorite actors get hated on. And I have like 100 favorite kung fu actors! :D

The only one there I can even slightly agree with is Wei Pai. he never impressed me much as a fighter.

I agree even though I wasn't aware Wei Pai was rated on anything. Never thought much of him. He seemed to just go through the motions in everything he did.

They were not great onscreen fighters imo. Some better actors, a bit more charisma, moreso than onscreen prowess. But some can disagree. I have no problem with it.

Wilson Tong on second thought may not belong, therefore I will remove him.

Morgoth Bauglir
They were not great onscreen fighters imo. Some better actors, a bit more charisma, moreso than onscreen prowess. But some can disagree. I have no problem with it.

I could disagree with you 100 times in a row (though it would never happen) and I would still respect you:D

Alright, I'm running out of time tonight, but when there's kung to be talked about, I can't pass up the opportunity. :D

Adam Cheng, one of my top 20-25 favorite kung fu actors (becasue of his amazing shapes and acting skills)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUAFE7lf88

Chan Wai Man, another one of my favorite actors. I don't even know where to start if I was to post one of his clips. He is pretty good at kung fu styles, but where he shines is in his boxing and hwo realistic he looks when fighting on screen. He has the coolest and most powerful "looking" punches I have ever seen in a kung fu movie. And there's no doubt he has real power! But to be able to show power like he that on screen is amazing. I have a feeling he missed his mark at least a couple times and knocked a few guys out in his movie career.

Meng Fei- this is a guy who I always thought kind of sucked, until I saw Unbeaten 28, Secret of the Shaolin Poles, Take the Rap, The Boxer's Adventure, and probably a few others I can't think of right now.

Chan Sing- I guess i can see why you think he's overrated. There's only one word I need to describe why I like him so much- POWER.

Morgoth Bauglir

Jimmy Wang Yu is overrated? I am so lost in this thread. norther b, on a scale from 1-10, can you tell me how you think those guys are rated by everyone else (like a concensus), and then tell me how you rate them? Maybe then I can understadn why all these people are listed in this thread. Maybe you are talking about acting skills and not fighting skills? Because I don't think anyone has ever rated Wang Yu as being a great fighter. Maybe Ku Feng is overrated too. I just don't know.

Jimmy Wang Yu is overrated? I am so lost in this thread. norther b, on a scale from 1-10, can you tell me how you think those guys are rated by everyone else (like a concensus), and then tell me how you rate them? Maybe then I can understadn why all these people are listed in this thread. Maybe you are talking about acting skills and not fighting skills? Because I don't think anyone has ever rated Wang Yu as being a great fighter. Maybe Ku Feng is overrated too. I just don't know.

Morgoth

I can see how the thread could become blurred i.e are we talking acting or fighting or both!

I should at this point clarify I'm talking about screen fighting- Wang Yu just flails his arms and legs he's the worst of the 3!

Wong Tao and Carter Wong are just inept I suppose its because I'm a fan of the tight choreography style (e.g. the Victim, the Loot etc) and I've never seen these guys do that. Of course some prefer films with the basher or more realistic fight styles..

Morgoth Bauglir

Good points there. Dammit. I was hoping you had no reason for listing those guys;)

But let me ask you, for someone to be considered the most overrated screen fighter, don't you think that they first have to be considered one of the best? I mean I consider Wong Tao and Carter Wong to be good, but I just don't think that they could possobly be considered some of the very best. I don't even think I would list those guys in my top 50, though Wong Tao would be close.

Good points there. Dammit. I was hoping you had no reason for listing those guys;)

I would always hope to have a reason!

But let me ask you, for someone to be considered the most overrated screen fighter, don't you think that they first have to be considered one of the best? I mean I consider Wong Tao and Carter Wong to be good, but I just don't think that they could possobly be considered some of the very best. I don't even think I would list those guys in my top 50, though Wong Tao would be close.

You make a good point regarding how these guys are rated generally so maybe we actually agree in way!

Morgoth Bauglir

ha! I think you are right. I didn't expect us to dsagree and then find out that we do somewhat agree. Alright then, looks like I'll just have to wait for the next person to disagree with :P

I don't think Wong Tao is overrated at all. I think he's pretty versatile and can handle some pretty tight choreo, just check out Eagle's Claw! No doubt that he's a real martial artist.

As for Carter Wong, he's also a real martial artist, but is about as charismatic as a cinder block and moves like one too. Couldn't really picture him doing proper shapes choreo with style.

oldeschool17

Adam Cheng, one of my top 20-25 favorite kung fu actors (becasue of his amazing shapes and acting skills)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwUAFE7lf88

Can you name me one film he does where he doesn't need the assistance of wires and undercranking? The only movie that I've seen of his that probably doesnt go overboard with those annoyances is Shaolin vs Wutang(which i thought sucked).

Can you name me one film he does where he doesn't need the assistance of wires and undercranking? The only movie that I've seen of his that probably doesnt go overboard with those annoyances is Shaolin vs Wutang(which i thought sucked).

It's not that much of it in THE SWORD, atleast compared to his other movies.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah with or without the undercranking Adam Cheng looks good because of hs unique style. I think the undercranking does help him out a bit, but he still looks good without it. A lot of the TV work he has done over the past 10-15 years desn't have undercranking (not that I have those series, I'm just going off of rdenn's youtube clips).

oldeschool17
It's not that much of it in THE SWORD, atleast compared to his other movies.

There is a fair bit of those elements in that movie. I mean the last scene.. come on. lol

If that's considered the minimum amount, i'd hate to see what it is on a movie where it's in excess.

not very many that i agree with here... and i'm about tired of da bruce lee-god arguements.. we have and will never see how he matched up against other fighters he was good but ....

Morgoth Bauglir

I agree with Endsang, I didn't think there was too much undercranking in The Sword. Too much trampolines and quick cuts, but that's one of the reasons I liked the action. good for people like me with ADD:p And I thougt Cheng was awesome in Shaolin vs Wutang (especially the training scenes), so we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

Bus don't worry, Von hasn't been here for awhile. I don't think anyone in the world is harder on Bruce Lee than him.

i also like cheng and wang tao isn't overrated.. maybe slightly underrated and i like carter wong but he's a shit actor and his style is hard and he isn't tha greatest with chor but i've seen him look pretty good in some flicks he's more of a real life fighter kind of like jerry trimble

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah I agree with pretty much all that. I actually like Carter Wong as an actor, but that's just because he can put on a really mean face as a villain, and he looks badass as a hero. but his range of acting is extremely limited. Have you seen Shaolin Traitor Bus? I thought Carter did a great acting job in that movie, but that's because he didn't have to do much other than that one facial expression.

yep it's a good movie i thought he did good in fatal flying guillotines, blazing temple, and 8 masters also. my personal favs are born invincible and shaolin kung fu mystagogue

Archived