Most over-rated kung fu actor

Jstn

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Saying some ones over rated is not the same as saying they are no good! Far from it. It just means that they don't fully live up to the hype surounding them. whether it be in the mainstream or fan community.

Chinatown Kid

I believe Fu Sheng totally lived up to the hype that surrounded him, especially charisma wise. But as you can tell by my avaitar I'm a big fan of his. ;)

Saying some ones over rated is not the same as saying they are no good! Far from it. It just means that they don't fully live up to the hype surounding them. whether it be in the mainstream or fan community.

That is an excellent point, kind of what I was trying to express. I don't dislike HJL, but it seems that he gets a lot of hype, one of the first mentioned when movies are advertised,etc. This is all a matter of opinion, of course, no right or wrong. And I would never deny the credit HJL deserves as an accomplished martial artist.

Essentially, what I'm expressing is that when I sit down to watch my old school Kung Fu movies, I prefer seeing some actors in a choreographed fight as opposed to others. For instance, I love watching Leung Kar Yan perform in a choreographed fight, probably one of my favs.

I believe Fu Sheng totally lived up to the hype that surrounded him, especially charisma wise. But as you can tell by my avaitar I'm a big fan of his. ;)

I totally agree about Fu Sheng. If he didn't die he could/would have............

TibetanWhiteCrane

What can't you believe? that people have different opinions... or that they don't have the same opinions as you:D

Shaolindogma
I cannot believe you people.

I feel the same. What is this world coming to, Bruce overrated?! Fu Sheng overrated?! Fu Sheng was a genius, and dare i say it; his charisma almost out matches Elton Chongs... almost :cool:

If anything Fu Sheng is underrated and under appreciated. I loved every role he played and wished that he could have done more.

As far as Jet, i've never been a big fan but i still think he's great, same with Jimmy.

IMHO, grouping them all together and stating that they're all underrated is like saying Bush and Cheney make a great intellectual team. You might as well be a terrorist. :D

HJL overrated?:confused: BAhhhhhhhhh:mad: :P

I mean wow, I can't come up with a more menacing villain and his martial arts skills speaks for itself, he doesn't know kung fu? Watch the Eagle Claw he drops in that room full of people in Secret Rivals, it's flawless! but to each there own, I kind of second Jet Li, though I think I put it more on not being a fan of most of the movies he's in.

Righteous Master
Most of time a lot inferior opponents are just waiting to get kicked or punched by him,much like in same fashion as old chuck norris films.

Truly great MA movie should have fights with men about equal abilities.

That is the problem grave, NOBODY had or has the real world MA skills that Bruce had. Besides thats what movies are... each scene set up to happen a certain way. Of course they were all waiting to get kicked or punched.

That is the problem grave, NOBODY had or has the real world MA skills that Bruce had.

Now come on, it's comments like that that make people thing he's overrated, while I think Bruce was awesome there were plenty of people in the business, even at the time, that had skills on the same level - Lau Kar Leung? Hell Chen Kuan Tai was a professional fighter before he became an actor.

Totally forgot about Carter Wong! Yes, he's as overrated as they come. He did TONS of shi**y movies. Apparently the Chinese choreographers didn't like working with him much because he was too stiff and slow.

HJL is one of the best. It's odd how someone can say he's overrated but everybody sees things differently. Personally, I find him exciting to watch. The man had a near endless repertoire of kicks. Kicks that most other actors would need wires to pull off. Forget his hand-to-hand, his kicks are his strong points. Hwang always struck me as being extrememly intimidating in most all his films which resulted in the lame methods by which the heroes would finish him off at the end. He was so good in dominating his opponents, the heroes hadn't much choice but to use a cheap method of disposal.

Bruce Lee though, he seldom gets hurt or is even remotely in any danger whatsoever. He definitely brought the US style with him to his HK films. Watching those today, none of them can match the production of a Shaw Brothers picture of the same time period, IMO. Bruce, the man is the epitome of martial excellence but his movies are lacking in excitement. Maybe I'm spoiled on Chang Cheh's bloody chivalry? What a team up that would have been! Bruce and Chang Cheh!

Morgoth Bauglir

That's true abotu Hwang. He usually overpowers his opponent the whole fight, but the ending is not too satisfying. Where's Officer Tuba, Ninja Terminator, Duel of Ultimate Weapons, 36 deadly Styles, Buddha Assassinator..., all have ridiculous endings.

What can't you believe? that people have different opinions... or that they don't have the same opinions as you:D

Saying that the pathbeaters, people who laid ground work for others to follow are now overrated? HJL? Fu Sheng? Bruce Lee?:eek:

It becomes an insight to ignorance when history is renounced and those who live only in the present refuse to acknowledge the accomplishments of those from bygone eras, who gave you an opportunity to have what exists today as the entertainment you are taking for granted.

Today's POP STARS are the one's overrated, able to now be ACTION STARS without training or background in Martial Arts, and along with assistance of sfx, and camera tricks.

*Bruce helped revolutionize the HK industry by challenging the establishment to raise the quality of the product they fed the masses. Issues from wages, performances, staffing, and benefits, were addressed by Lee. His brief career showed potential of what could have been.

*Huang Cheng Li showed exactly what he was capable of. He gave us great performances with his athleticism that others before he didn't show. One who could pretty much handle whatever the choreographer put his way. Never overrated.

*Fu Sheng? A talent that could have been an International success, even moreso than Jackie Chan, had he lived. So many years under Shaws, he had more to offer in acting ability than many others. Remember, Ng See Yuen and Yuen Woo Ping's first choice was Fu Sheng, not Jackie, when they were seeking a leading actor for Snake in The Eagle's Shadow, but Shaw wouldn't lend him out.

As the past becomes more distant, memories fade, and sometimes the appreciation does as well.

vonhumboldtfleisher

This old chestnut. You know, even Bey Logan - a pretty dedicated and incredibly adoring fan of Bruce Lee himself - said his impact on the HK film industry was 'negligible'.

If you want some evidence as to how over-rated Bruce is, just hop back to the old forum posts and find such quotes as "Bruce Lee changed more people's lives than anyone in the twentieth century" and the comment on the vandalism of a Bruce Lee statue: "To me, this is like vandalising a statue of Jesus". Nuff said.

As for HJL, he isn't over-rated. He can't be, actually, since people who enthuse about him never make any claims that aren't actually true. Personally I'd rather watch Hwang Jang Lee comb toast-crumbs out of his goatee for two hours than sit through that WAY OF THE DRAGON hunk of clag ever again. I don't think Jet Li or any of those guys are over-rated either - hasn't Jet Li (just like Jackie before him) fallen considerably in the estimation of KF fans since he started making American movies?

You want over-rated, it would be Jimmy Wang Yu. He's famous for the movies he starred in, but never does this forum have any posts about his MA skills (or lack thereof), acting, or popularity. He's just there.

Isn't that the exact opposite of 'over-rated'?

This topic always turns ugly, though.

gravedigger666

Jimmy Wang Yu

Unfortunately fights in JWY movies are weak.It`s always like 2-4 movements then cut.

I watched Trail Of The Broken Blade recently.Very often main lackeys of chief villain are wasted in his movies,during film has been displayed they are dangerous then Wang Yu kills them in 10 seconds like very big man with nasty looking spike-clubs in Broken Blade.

For fighting there is 100`s better than Wang Yu but for interesting storyline and bleak atmosphere he is worth checking out.And it´s great thing outcome of films is not obvious from beginning.

Chinatown Kid
Saying that the pathbeaters, people who laid ground work for others to follow are now overrated? HJL? Fu Sheng? Bruce Lee?:eek:

It becomes an insight to ignorance when history is renounced and those who live only in the present refuse to acknowledge the accomplishments of those from bygone eras, who gave you an opportunity to have what exists today as the entertainment you are taking for granted.

Today's POP STARS are the one's overrated, able to now be ACTION STARS without training or background in Martial Arts, and along with assistance of sfx, and camera tricks.

*Bruce helped revolutionize the HK industry by challenging the establishment to raise the quality of the product they fed the masses. Issues from wages, performances, staffing, and benefits, were addressed by Lee. His brief career showed potential of what could have been.

*Huang Cheng Li showed exactly what he was capable of. He gave us great performances with his athleticism that others before he didn't show. One who could pretty much handle whatever the choreographer put his way. Never overrated.

*Fu Sheng? A talent that could have been an International success, even moreso than Jackie Chan, had he lived. So many years under Shaws, he had more to offer in acting ability than many others. Remember, Ng See Yuen and Yuen Woo Ping's first choice was Fu Sheng, not Jackie, when they were seeking a leading actor for Snake in The Eagle's Shadow, but Shaw wouldn't lend him out.

As the past becomes more distant, memories fade, and sometimes the appreciation does as well.

I agree 100% man! :cool:

TibetanWhiteCrane

Ok, i'll try one more time for the people in the cheap seats.... I LIKE BRUCE LEE,FU SHENG, JIMMY WANG YU... not so much JET though! Just because I feel they are overrated in either the mainstream (Bruce,Jet) or the fan comunnity (Fu Sheng, Wang Yu) Doesn't mean I hate them, or even dislike them. I have all of Bruces movies and most of Fu Shengs too. And I watch them regularly! But I think that with especially those two, as with any great performer that dies young, people just build them up to mythical proportions, and rant on about what greatness they could have acheived, had they not passed away. And it is pretty safe to do so, because they're dead, so no one can prove you wrong!

The Dragon said in his post, that we musn't forget the past.... very true. But we should also remember it correctly

kingofkungfu2002

I'm interested to know why they think Jet Li is overrated...his martial arts skills are unquestionable, he's been in some of the greatest MA movies ever made, he's one of the best actors in the genre...etc etc :confused:

I'm interested to know why they think Jet Li is overrated...his martial arts skills are unquestionable, he's been in some of the greatest MA movies ever made, he's one of the best actors in the genre...etc etc :confused:

Jet Li for all his skills almost never performs shapes or authentic Kung Fu, especially when potraying real figures from historical standpoint. Wong Fei Hung, Hung Si Quan, and Fok Yuen Gap. He never displayed any of their actual forms, just his same ole' Wu Shu wrangling twists and turns...

You don't think wushu is authentic kung fu?

I think it's great that Jet does what he does best. I wouldn't like seeing him trying to do traditional shapes without having a solid background in Hung Ga etc. I still think he is one of the most versatile kung fu actors I've ever seen when it comes to kung fu and weapon work. I've never really had the feeling that he's recycling his stuff when I watch his movies. It shows clearly that people with an opera school or wushu background adapt very well with different choreographers and their styles.

Blame it on the choreographer.

Choreographer does have a lot to do with it. Sometimes, the martial artists in the movies might be talented, but the choreography sucks. Hate when that happens.

I just watched Dance of the Drunken Mantis last night (for the 10th time, lol). I really do appreciate HJLs kicks...definitely a strong point. Carter Wong? There is another one who never impressed me. He was okay in Born Invincible, but never showed any versatility in his movements. He was never really crisp either.

Archived