Most over-rated kung fu actor

Jstn

bruce lee is over-rated, i take any Shaw Brothers, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and Jackie Chan flicks1000 times before one bruce

Bruce lee is not over-rated, he deserved the success during his acting career until his death even though it was short.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

also Shaolin Mantis in case you haven't seen it... those 3 movies Chiang does pretty good. The choreographers must have beat him with a stick or something.

Im going to get burned and say Sonny Chiba. Ive seen a few of his movies and the martial arts in it are slow and seem very scripted. He plays the super bad ass in every movie but most every main kung fu actor out there seems more agile and talented.

One Armed Boxer
Im going to get burned and say Sonny Chiba. Ive seen a few of his movies and the martial arts in it are slow and seem very scripted. He plays the super bad ass in every movie but most every main kung fu actor out there seems more agile and talented.

Sonny Chiba practices karate though, not kung-fu, which is swift and brutal.

Granted kung-fu has a certain fluidity that transfers to the screen well, but Sonny Chiba was the real deal.

Killer Meteor

Sonny Chiba himself is awesome, but a fair few of the films featuring him and Etsuko Shinomi were filmed by someone who decided the camera should flip around by 180 every time a fight started. A lot of those Toei karate flicks are quite poor.

Haven't seen those. Just going by what I've seen him in. I'll check those out, though.

I actually bought both "The Loot" and "The Challenger" last week. "The Loot" has some of the best choreography I have ever seen in my life.

I did, however, notice that, at times, Chiang is sloppy. It more often occurs in which he faces multiple enemies but sometimes he really does underwhelming in terms of skill. It only happens a few times though and the rest of the film is scorching.

Bruce Lee IS the most overrated kung fu actor. but thats because he basically brought kung fu to america he was and still is the face of kung fu. but of course anyone who knows anything about kung fu films doesnt even think of bruce or his films when asked whats your top ten kung fu fliccs of all time. i think bruce could have been the greatest fighter of all time if there was a UFC bacc then. he would have destroyed the competition but his movies werent all that great in my opinion. i still loved him though, only the good die young, RIP bruce!! o yea hwang jang lee is not over rated by any means he is probably the best boot master to hit the screen...seriously, who can mess with him cassanova wong? who else? dorain tan? thats about it...

Bruce Lee IS the most overrated kung fu actor. but thats because he basically brought kung fu to america he was and still is the face of kung fu. but of course anyone who knows anything about kung fu films doesnt even think of bruce or his films when asked whats your top ten kung fu fliccs of all time. i think bruce could have been the greatest fighter of all time if there was a UFC bacc then. he would have destroyed the competition but his movies werent all that great in my opinion. i still loved him though, only the good die young, RIP bruce!! o yea hwang jang lee is not over rated by any means he is probably the best boot master to hit the screen...seriously, who can mess with him cassanova wong? who else? dorain tan? thats about it...

dude, you're wrong... i think a lot of kung fu movie fans will have fist of fury in their favourite list.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3378&postcount=15

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3387&postcount=24

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3396&postcount=33

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3399&postcount=36

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3414&postcount=51

keep reading that thread and you will find more people who rate fist of fury as one of the greatest kung fu flicks of all time.

keep reading that thread and you will find more people who rate fist of fury as one of the greatest kung fu flicks of all time.

But still, ...anyone is perfectly entitled to disagree with such assessment...:angel:

As the past becomes more distant, memories fade, and sometimes the appreciation does as well.

Sad but oh so true. Now people are starting to question Jackie Chan's actual contributions now that Tony Jaa has come around.

Guest Yi-Long
Sad but oh so true. Now people are starting to question Jackie Chan's actual contributions now that Tony Jaa has come around.

Not sure if that's because of Tony Jaa, or because Jackie hasn't done anything remarkable in the last 15 years orso.

I think pretty much everyone knows the contribution Jackie and his 'brothers' have made to HK action cinema, except perhaps the new and younger generation who only know Jackie from his post-'95 movies, and maybe only seen a couple of his old dubbed flicks.

Mark of the Dragon

Conan Lee...thank god he didn't last long. Granted Ninja in the Dragon's Den was awesome, but that was only due to Hwang Jang Lee and Hiroyuki Sanada.

Archived