Most over-rated kung fu actor

Jstn

odioustrident
there was no action choreographer for kids from shaolin and shaolin temple so that was all jet! i think he shared choreographing duty on dragon fight too if you haven't seen that film your missing a lot

Yeah I really enjoyed Dragon Fight but I would say a later Jet Li is the reason for my interest in HK action. I find it hard to believe that Jet Li played any role in the choreography for Shaolin Temple or Kids from Shaolin; he was a very young talent showcase, so unless that is a known thing I can't believe it. That being said, any choreography in those films is the acting out of standard wushu performances; the way those scenes are designed (angles wise etc..) around the camera would have been left the choreographers with more screen experience.

Either way, as one of the biggest stars in Hong Kong, its incredible that he hasn't choreographed more films. In regards to the non-authentic styles he portrayed in OUATIC and other films, that is a huge basis of his appeal. His wushu is unorthodox and very modern, as he represents the modern sport.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yi-Long

Overrated: Fu Sheng. I don't rate him at ALL as far as kung fu skills go. At least, they weren't very evident when I've seen him in movies.

Also, I don't care for him as an actor, and I don't see his so-called charisma so many are hyping about. I think he's extremely overrated.

I also agree about the criticism about WJ Lee. Nice kicker, sure, but I prefer the kicking of Yuen Biao (better aerial kicks) or Tan Tao (better static kicks).

As a kicker myself, I don't really think what WJ Lee does is all that difficult or impressive, while Tan Tao's control is amazing to me, and Yuen Biao's speed and ability is easily among the very best of his generation (nowadays it seems more and more people are very good 'acrobatic' kickers)

Bruce Lee overrated!? Yes and no. I agree with both the criticisms about his movies and his 'invincible' characters, but I also absolutely agree that at the time he brought something new and fresh, and his speed and ability IS evident on the screen, and in a 'realistic' way instead of 2 guys running through a choreographed series of 'forms' which looks like a 'dance'.

By today's standards, his movies aren't that special any more, but at the time they must have been great.

Under-rated: Jet Li. His wushu skill is just beyond amazing, especially ofcourse when he was younger. Also, I feel he's quite talented as an actor and absolutely has a lot of charisma.

Do I think he could have made better career-decisions!? Ofcourse. Has he made bad movies and has he been in movies with poor choreography!? Ofcourse. That doesn't change the fact that his skills are still among the very very best.

silver hermit
Yeah I really enjoyed Dragon Fight but I would say a later Jet Li is the reason for my interest in HK action. I find it hard to believe that Jet Li played any role in the choreography for Shaolin Temple or Kids from Shaolin; he was a very young talent showcase, so unless that is a known thing I can't believe it. That being said, any choreography in those films is the acting out of standard wushu performances; the way those scenes are designed (angles wise etc..) around the camera would have been left the choreographers with more screen experience.

Either way, as one of the biggest stars in Hong Kong, its incredible that he hasn't choreographed more films. In regards to the non-authentic styles he portrayed in OUATIC and other films, that is a huge basis of his appeal. His wushu is unorthodox and very modern, as he represents the modern sport.

i'm not trying to argue with you young fellow i'm trying to teach you something. i was suprised when i heard too but then maybe jet is a liar eh?

and dragon if bruce lee was alive and making films in the 90's he would have been on wires too sorry to burst your bubble. even sammo and gordon liu have been on wires pal nothing wrong with it.

back to the subject jackie chan is over rated

... and dragon if bruce lee was alive and making films in the 90's he would have been on wires too sorry to burst your bubble. even sammo and gordon liu have been on wires pal nothing wrong with it.

I have to disagree with that... Lee didn't really want to use trampolines in his films. Lo Wei insisted, along with Han Ying Kit, and when he had total control over his productions, WOTD/GOD, he opted not to use them. His way, back then proved more realistic, and audiences hungered for it.

In an audio recording prior to his death he spoke:" ...as more Bruce Lee's films are shown, the audience will soon realise the difference..." adhering to the fact that realism is what would separate him from the other HK action stars of that era.

I have to disagree with that... Lee didn't really want to use trampolines in his films. Lo Wei insisted, along with Han Ying Kit, and when he had total control over his productions, WOTD/GOD, he opted not to use them. His way, back then proved more realistic, and audiences hungered for it.

I have to agree with the Dragon.

I think Lee's modern films would be more like the current stuff by Donnie Yen. Much more realistic and i think he would of definatly branched into the Mixed MArtial Art approach that is taking over now as he was already approachin it

Overrated: Fu Sheng. I don't rate him at ALL as far as kung fu skills go. At least, they weren't very evident when I've seen him in movies.

Also, I don't care for him as an actor, and I don't see his so-called charisma so many are hyping about. I think he's extremely overrated.

I also agree about the criticism about WJ Lee. Nice kicker, sure, but I prefer the kicking of Yuen Biao (better aerial kicks) or Tan Tao (better static kicks).

As a kicker myself, I don't really think what WJ Lee does is all that difficult or impressive, while Tan Tao's control is amazing to me, and Yuen Biao's speed and ability is easily among the very best of his generation (nowadays it seems more and more people are very good 'acrobatic' kickers)

What are your thoughts on these two videos?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJjY-JYU-Y

Guest Yi-Long
What are your thoughts on these two videos?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJjY-JYU-Y

1st vid not impressed at all.

2nd vid I have that dvd, and it's OK, but again, it's not THAT impressive. The jumping triple front kick is cool (cause I can't do that I think...), but I can do the jumping triple side-kick. I don't know, he's a good kicker and all, but certain kicks just look sloppy and not that impressive.

I've never really been all that impressed by WJL's kicking, although compared to most other screenfighters at the time, he was ofcourse among the very best. Also, the choreography for many of those old 70's movies was pretty much step1 - step 2 - step 3, etc , which obviously will also affect the quality of the kicking, in that it will seem unrealistic.

I really just prefer the kicking of a guy like Yuen Biao (very flexible and acrobatic, and also great form), or the control of Tan Tao ( I love legholding).

I have to agree with the Dragon.

:)

... i think he would of definatly branched into the Mixed MArtial Art approach that is taking over now as he was already approachin it

The opening sequence for Enter The Dragon is, I've always thought, to be the first Mixed-Martial Arts battle for modern audiences on film...

Just take note of the attire Sammo and Lee are wearing! 30YRS AGO!

bruce11.jpg

:nerd:

shaolin drunkard
I also agree about the criticism about WJ Lee.

Disagree.Hwang uses more different types of kicks,is not limited to one foot only and has more screen energy than Tan Tao Liang.

Guest Yi-Long
Disagree.Hwang uses more different types of kicks,is not limited to one foot only and has more screen energy than Tan Tao Liang.

That's all true, and he also has a better screen-presence, BUT I feel he;s overrated in his status as 'the best kicker', as I feel many of his kicks look a bit sloppy, he isn't a really HIGH kicker, he doesnt have the CONTROL (legholding) Tan Tao has, and he doesnt have the acrobatic flexible skills a Yuen Biao has (with the jumping/spinning kicks).

There are many kinds of kicking in movies, and personally I'm just more impressed by the extreme control of a Tan Tao and the acrobatic control of Yuen Biao.

I'm a kicker myself and when I see Hwang's kicks, I'm really not all that impressed. When I see Tan or Biao, I am very much impressed.

shaolin drunkard
That's all true, and he also has a better screen-presence, BUT I feel he;s overrated in his status as 'the best kicker', as I feel many of his kicks look a bit sloppy, he isn't a really HIGH kicker, he doesnt have the CONTROL (legholding) Tan Tao has, and he doesnt have the acrobatic flexible skills a Yuen Biao has (with the jumping/spinning kicks).

There are many kinds of kicking in movies, and personally I'm just more impressed by the extreme control of a Tan Tao and the acrobatic control of Yuen Biao.

I'm a kicker myself and when I see Hwang's kicks, I'm really not all that impressed. When I see Tan or Biao, I am very much impressed.

Tan tao liang kicks higher than sky and great kicks..Hwang does not kick that high,just opponent head is enough,I like his flying kicks and savage expressions on face,also triple kick to chest when studied tkd my body was never able to do 3rd kick,was not able to control it,started to land automatically.pathetic...leg holding tan tao does and rapid fire kicks(or was it his student john liu?or both?look awesome on screen but not realistic...anyway as this topic was kung-fu ACTOR maybe I was wrong to say bruce is overrated.his movies are bad I do not take that back but bruce itself has quite lot charisma and when approaches enemy feels sorry for prey.

Chinatown Kid

Hwang Jang Lee is more versatile with both his legs but I think Tan Tao Liang has better form and his delivering multiple kicks without putting the leg down is second to none. John Liu can do amazing multiple kicks with that right leg of his but alot of times his kicks don't look powerful and can be a bit sloppy. Yuen Biao was a double threat in that he had great looking kicks combined with his acrobatic peking opera training, Kim Won Jin was also gifted not only with amazing kicks but could do nice acrobatics as well.

shaolin drunkard

Chinatown as name "actor" was featured in topic title which do you like most when not in action?All 3 are great legfighters but for me Tan Tao Liang is kinda stoneface dun get is he cat or rat...John Liu almost always grins stupidly but HwL is always cool guy...

sorry this is just my opinion,not want to offend anyones hero

shaolin drunkard
Hwang Jang Lee is more versatile with both his legs but I think Tan Tao Liang has better form and his delivering multiple kicks without putting the leg down is second to none.
I do not know you but I get more power into my kicks if put it down between

Chinatown Kid
Chinatown as name "actor" was featured in topic title which do you like most when not in action?All 3 are great legfighters but for me Tan Tao Liang is kinda stoneface dun get is he cat or rat...John Liu almost always grins stupidly but HwL is always cool guy...

sorry this is just my opinion,not want to offend anyones hero

Well if not in action then I think HJL has the best charisma as far as villianous screen presence, Tan has that no-nonsense type persona more suited to play a noble hero type but he doesn't show alot of emotion on screen. John Liu isn't the best actor either but his kicks looked surperb in films such as Incredible Kung Fu Mission. I prefer Tan over the others as far as beauty of kicks on screen. Everybody's got their own favorites though as it's a matter of personal tastes. I also like the nice basic type TKD kicks of Sun Chien.

Chinatown Kid
I do not know you but I get more power into my kicks if put it down between

Oh yes you will definately have more power in single kicks but multiple kicks before you put the leg down are good for surprising your opponent so you can sneak a second or third kick that scores before putting the foot back down. Although less powerful it can have a demoralizing and distracting effect on your opponent and be a setup for a more powerful single kick.

Coliseum1972

Lee prolly would've preferred keepin it real and complained about the overuse of CGI........

Don't agree with the Bruce Lee & HJL comments on here but there's always been one person who has never impressed me in any film i've seen him in (haven't seen them all though), and that is David Chiang.

Before Lee, no one displayed this kind of kicking power on film:

WOTDAVATAR.gif

Afterwards, wires were used to get the same effect... Including today.

Now I'm not saying no one else could.

He was first, that's all.

Blood Sword

Bruce was tad overrated in my opinion.However he was real martial artist and it showed onscreen so well.Compare Bruce films to Jimmy Wang Yu Kung-fu movies,Jimmy looks like fast as snail compared to Lee.

Killer Meteor
Lee Hai Sheng

He can be ok as an actor, but his fighting style is plain odd: he sort of stand there whilst slowly extending his arms out to both sides. Seems to do that every film!

Archived