The Lady is the Boss (1983)

Tosh

This was a strange one, though I have to admit to really enjoying seeing all the familiar faces in a modern 80's setting, Kara Hui is just adorable running around spouting off halfass English, though that haircut has to go:p, LKL's humor has always been a bit hit and miss for me and there are definitely some over the top shenanagens going on here, but once I realized the premises I was able to kick back and enjoy it for what it was. I was confused about the pot smoking and have to wonder if everyone wasn't toking up making this, I was expecting there to be some kind of message like - Don't do drugs - instead Kara just says(in English no less) - Oh pot! It's no big deal, then that was it. If anything I think the message was for patience, to teach Kung Fu to the common people that aren't dedicated 100% and show it can still be helpful in everyday life.

The second half lights up and does Lar Kar Leung deliver, that fight were he's surrounded in the office, he's so fast it's beyond belief, he really showcases why he's the master. Hsiao Ho does another one of those jaw dropping flips were the cameras are panned back to see it in all of it's glory. But the highlight is Gordon Liu and Sun Chien going at it, I just wish it would of been longer and a bit more serious, that or had Sun reprise his role as the Scorpion against San Te.

All in all a good film for something different, not as completely put together as My Young Auntie, but one to watch, for anything, the Fu at the end.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gravedigger666

I have to watch this again.I recall dialogue is quite dire,but fights are good.Nice use of BMX as weapons.

Chinatown Kid

Although the film is bogged down with offbeat comedy for the most part, it's worth seeing for the fight finale alone. Lau Kar Leung proves once again why he is a master of Kung Fu and fight choreography with a great battle set in a gym. I feel the same as Tosh in that the fight between Gordon Liu and Sun Chien(my favorite Venom) was the highlight for me. Lau taking on the other thugs and Wang Lung Wei was awesome as well. Kara Hui was so cute in this movie too!

Archived