What Price Honesty / 目無王法 (1981)

Guest Donnie1974

Guest Donnie1974

Hi,

I have ordered Men from the monastery and Hero of the latest batch. I am wondering if What price honesty (this movie is labeled as martial arts) is worth the dough? I read that it is about cops and corruption in Ming Dynasty and that it is supposed to be a suspenseful thriller. I still have my doubts though. Can anyone shed some light?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look on 2nd page thread "New Preorders" and there is alittle talk about this film. Seems most members on here have never seen it including myself.

Brigadier Chow

Dug it. The fights are mostly done with swords though. Had a cam tape years ago. The story is quite good, but... without giving too much away, it may be a downer or depressing to some.

Guest peringaten

WHAT PRICE HONESTY!! This film is NICE!!

Now this is what I want from my Shaw flicks! This film brings the DARKNESS!! No stupid comedy or light moments here!! This film is about:

Smashing things.

Fighting.

Beheadings.

Corruption.

Greed.

R.O.U.G.H. Justice.

Stabbings.

The Guando.

Sword Slashes.

Dirty dank cells full of rats, centipedes, cockroaches and crazed criminals.

Hanging.

Humiliation.

Robberies.

Cops.

A Funeral.

Nudity.

Attempted rapes.

Arrows.

Slaughter.

Unfounded punishment.

More smashing things.

More fighting.

Framings.

Loss of appendages.

Thunder.

Rain.

Torture.

Beatings.

The bleakness.

The darkness.

Little redemption.

Blood.

Hell, this film starts as it means to go on! A credit sequence of swords and fire!! And blood!! And fire!! And swords slashing blood which drips to wash out the fire!!

Man, this film rocks HARDCORE. Doesn't let up - all about the drama. When it lets up from the smashing and stuff, it has nice dramatic scenes building the tension and characters, with some badass music use - nice sets, and verve. Great plot - unpredictable, VERY nicely balanced, unfolds brilliantly, and got me on the edge of my seat with a few jaw dropping moments. I let out a long "DAMMMNNNN!!!!!" when it finished.

This film delivers! The fighting's nice - not so much about the shapes, but enhancing the plot and darkness.

If I had one complaint it would be the lighting in places seemed a little stagier than the usual Shaw production (odd shadows and stuff), but that's kind of moot when considering the nicely set scenes.

Director Yuan Hou Chan, seemingly young and full of verve, knew the score when he was making this flick - keep it dark and rolling. I'd call it an action flick - a dark action flick. In the positive sense, wonderfully darkly schlocky and exploititive and a WHOLE lot of asskicking fun.

Though not too similar... a gem in the manner Soul Of The Sword turned out to be seems an apt descript... This film puts the likes of Secret Service Of The Imperial Court and Deadly Secret (films with which it bears very vague similarities) firmly in their place imo, for want of a better descript if you get my gist.

A BLEAK TREAT!!!

Guest Ivy Ling Po

I love your enthusiasm too and will definitely reconsider purchasing this movie. Please elaborate on the nudity aspect. Did it involve guest star Lily Li?

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

Spoilers

Peri man you sure get excited when you see a film you like! :D

I'm with you on this one, the plot was quite simplistic and nothing really original but the execution of the film was bang on. It kinda reminded me of the modern day cops and triads movies with the corrupt cops in league with the bandits and the handful of good men. I was surprised when I found it was directed by the same guy who made Fighting Fool cos that one was a mess whereas this film flows nicely.

Ivy, the nudity was in a rape scene, nothing to do with Lily Li.

Guest peringaten

Well, can't help getting excited about this one! I'm not gonna say it's the best release of the year or nothing, but it certainly got me amped up more than most! Man, I haven't been this amped after a Shaw flick since Devil's Mirror. I've got a lot of stuff to do today, so needed some kip... but, seriously was too hyped to sleep properly last night after this one!

As for the nudity, yeah, what IFM said - pretty strong actually, the woman in question was full frontal flapping all her bits about...

So far as the plot, I think what I liked about it was how harmoniously it balanced the narrative framework and the more visceral immediate elements. It's almost like they made a list like that in my first post and said right this is what the film's about - let's construct it around all this... Yet somehow strung all that into what seems like a perfect framework - as if the framework came and just supported the inclusion of these elements alongside and within its nice rolling twists and themes... Mild spoiler here: One thing that really grabbed me, and for sure deftly balanced the whole flick out yet further was the nice juxtaposition of the Temple Of Chivalry setpieces either side of the film's running time. The way the parallels of Pai Piao's and Lo Lieh's opposing characters reflected each other into mirrored actions yet their different standpoints ending up in a similar scenario. Great stuff. Satisfying in all respects imo; worked on a couple of levels inviting you to think or just sit back and enjoy the corruption. What price honesty indeed.

More dark Shaw flicks please...

I ordered What Price Honesty yesterday along with Boxer from the Temple. Peri's excitement makes me wish I ordered from yesasia so I could of done express shipping. :D

Guest iron flag

I liked this one a lot too. Pai Piao is really one of my favorites. Gway, I assume you'd like to see her muff when she was younger (not now right)? :x

Guest Markgway
Gway, I assume you'd like to see her muff when she was younger (not now right)?

Naturally... but I'm not fussy... as long as she wipes away the cobwebs. :hat

Guest peringaten
but is this a swordplay, kung fu, action flick...etc...
Hi IB, the film is obviously late era Shaws choreo, and plenty fighty, but the film is more roughhousing and bruising than straight-up kung, though the movements are there. Swordplay mostly, but we get a couple of fights with chains, knives and guandos, etc... For instance Sun Chien's in there, but you won't see him kicking, more nicely jabbering about with a sword. There is no undercranking, and what the fighting pace is (not overly speedy generally, but nice) fits the film extremely well. Don't expect venoms type choreo, but do expect some nice rough scenes. There's a great one vs many sword and spear fight in that teahouse we see in Human Lanterns and Tiger Killer where everyone goes for it. Good stuff. Constables barreling about with swords and things. Casualties...

Feels designed as an action flick to me.

I have two lists now, movie I need to see, and movies Peringaten thinks are great:lol Lets break this down shall we...

Smashing things. (Always a good thing)

Fighting. (Essential)

Beheadings. (Now we're talking)

Corruption. (Usually needed)

Greed. (See above)

R.O.U.G.H. Justice. (Hmmmmmm)

Stabbings. (Yes, there must be stabbings)

The Guando. (Onces again?)

Sword Slashes. (Hopefully deep ones)

Dirty dank cells full of rats, centipedes, cockroaches and crazed criminals. (Are there any other kind?)

Hanging. (Ah yes!)

Humiliation. (Oh the humanity)

Robberies. (Gold)

Cops. (What year did this take place?)

A Funeral. (Must have some Deaths for crying out loud!)

Nudity. (8o )

Attempted rapes. (Not my thing really)

Arrows. (Toshiro comes to mind)

Slaughter. (:evil Must have Slaughter)

Unfounded punishment. (Bastards!!!)

More smashing things. (I should insert a Beavis and Butthead joke here)

More fighting. (always great in a Shaw flick)

Framings. (Frame me, no frame you)

Loss of appendages. (How cool is that?)

Thunder. (scary)

Rain. (One element outta 5's not bad)

Torture. (Me likes torture)

Beatings. (hopeful the good kind)

The bleakness. (Life is never easy)

The darkness. (Bring it, we have enough KF comedies)

Little redemption. (Who needs it in their KF flicks anyways)

Blood. (:hat :hat :hat :hat :hat :hat )

:b

Guest kungfufreak

Have seen this last Night and must say how peringaten:

OHHH, Yeahhhhh-Great Movie!!!!!!!!

One of the darkest and pessimisitics shawfilms what I seen!!

The Fighting Scene in the Prison with Lo Lieh and Pai Piao looks great and the Story is superb.

The Films with Pai Piao(Men from the Gutter, Deadly Secret)are in my Eyes the Best from Shaw of this Years.

Guest lacali

Agree. Just finished watching this flix last night and I have to say that it's great. Sun Chien is great along side Pai Pao . A must have for Pai Pao fans.

Guest jmungus

yep. darn cool flick. tight story, 'realistic' fighting, proper mood and sets, strong performances by all the cast & its pacing couldnt be any better.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

OK you guys have convinced me and I am picking it up together with Pursuit Of Vengeance this week. I just hope the movie is not too dark and depressing (think dark & gloomy prison scenes).

Archived