Tower of Death (1981)

Jstn

Morgoth Bauglir

Get it immediately. It doesn't star Bruce Lee, it's really cheesy, but it has awesome fight scenes. Hwang Jang Lee and Cassanova Wong tear it up.

Get it immediately. It doesn't star Bruce Lee, it's really cheesy, but it has awesome fight scenes. Hwang Jang Lee and Cassanova Wong tear it up.

summed up nicely

Chinatown Kid

Just keep in mind Cassanova Wong is not in the Tower of Death version. The greenhouse fight between Cas and Tang Lung aka Kim Tai Chung can only be found in the version titled Game of Death II which Fox put out on DVD. That fight scene can also be found in the Chinese version of the original Game of Death.

gravedigger666

It starts just OK but after "bruce lee" gets killed,movie becomes whole lot better.There is lethal floor you could expect to see in Bond movie instead of kung-fu.I actually enjoy this more than real Bruce Lee movies.

Kim Tai-Jung (or Tong Lung) was really good in the film playing both Bruce's character and his little brother. The end fight between Kim and Hwang Jang-Lee is just plain frenetic and awesome...it was truly a highlight, plus Tiger Yang is great in it too as a loinclothed henchman who does some excellent kicking of his own, being a TKD expert.

Agreed, this is one to own. Tang Lungs bootwork is superb! If you get the Hong Kong Legends UK DVD you get the bonus Casanova Wong greenhouse fight plus a great interview with Roy Horan. He talks about training with Hwang, and how they trained doing kicks in wet sand! I got this very cheap (US $8.00) on Amazon

The action is great! It enjoyed more when I first saw it premiered on TV (not the Drive-In Saturdays) in NYC way back in 80's as Game of Death II, when the weak story, Bruce edits, doubling and errors weren't so noticable. The hi-light to me is the Casanova Wong fight. After watching the movie recently, I still enjoy it a lot, but I'm turned off as too how much Yuen Biao doubled for Kim Tai Jung!! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he did for the acrobats mixed with the high kicking is simply amazing! But I wonder if he should've just been the star! lol While the final showdown with Wang Jang Lee is great, it could've done away with some silly moments that ruined the pace of the fight and the way it finishes. There are plenty of fights that feature nice bootwork so either way I don't think you'll be dissappointed with it, so get it! I wish I had the version with Roy Horan interview...

The boot to Tiger Yang's jaw is one of the most awesome moments in Kung Fu film history!:DSomebody (I don't know if it was Tiger Yang), took an incredible kick to the face!

:cool:

Morgoth Bauglir

I haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember rewinding and pausing it a lot making sure it was TIger Yang. I was sure it was him.

Justin the reason Bruce Lee is listed in the cast is because they use some footage of him. But he's not really in it. He doesn't do any fighting or anything.

TibetanWhiteCrane

As I wrote in a review once... If you only watch one "bruceploitation" movie in your life, make sure it's this one! Love HJL in this film!

Tiger Yang is the muscle bound henchmen wearing a loin cloth and he is also an expert in Tae Kwon Do. He was the scarfaced henchman in Warriors Two that did an amazing kicking set against Casanova Wong.

If your talking about the guy with the beard that was drinking blood it's Roy Horan.

And he looked his best in this film, very strong, and intense. This was really a showcase, choreography wise, for Woo Ping.

I haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember rewinding and pausing it a lot making sure it was TIger Yang. I was sure it was him.

Justin the reason Bruce Lee is listed in the cast is because they use some footage of him. But he's not really in it. He doesn't do any fighting or anything.

I see...thanks a lot Morgoth

And he looked his best in this film, very strong, and intense. This was really a showcase, choreography wise, for Woo Ping.

I agree. It's also interesting that he was not only Hwang Jang-Lee's student, but he was an executive at Seasonal Films. He played the American consulate in No Retreat, No Surrender 2: Raging Thunder and produced and wrote the second draft of the script after Keith Strandberg's script "needed" re-writes. (KS wasn't happy about the changes to the script according to an old interview on a site that's gone)

I liked Roy as the Russian killer who pretended to be a priest in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

I liked Roy as the Russian killer who pretended to be a priest in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

After being smacked by the woman in the alley..." Jesus, she's a sinner!!"

:D

I forgot, who was it that played Bruce for most of the "conveniently shadowed" face scenes. :confused: Still, I can't really call this a Bruceploitation film! In some ways it is, yet others it isn't. Ultimately it was trying to play off of his popularity so in fact it may! What do you think?

I still have yet to get the really nice, remastered release from Fox. The film had some great action, very high production values, and even though didn't care much for plot was lots of fun to watch.

It was still Kim Tai-Jung, aka Tang Lung. Yuen Biao was the acrobatic double, but the kicks and face shots were mostly Kim.

It was still Kim Tai-Jung, aka Tang Lung. Yuen Biao was the acrobatic double, but the kicks and face shots were mostly Kim.

Cool, thanks!

Cognoscente

Raymond Chow should have waited until Jackie joined Golden Harvest before making this movie. That way, Jackie could have been cast and it would have been more of a dark comedy than an unintentionally funny film. Also, Tower of Death would have got more attention with it being a reunion between Jackie and his Seasonal co-workers.

11061001_374697846051204_1141393039046412671_o.jpg

• Like 2