Lo Wei films

mark187

has anybody seen the Lo Wei film Kung Fu Kid w/ Chan Wai-Man? if so, how is it? are there any other Lo Wei recommendations out there, besides the following which I've already seen (The Big Boss, The Shadow Whip, Fist of Fury, A Man Called Tiger, None But the Brave, New Fist of Fury, Dragon Fist)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there.

Haven't seen the one you mentioned but this thread mentions quite a few Jackie Chan films that he did under Lo Wei. Might want to give it a look.

I have The Kungfu Kid and enjoyed it more than I thought I would especially Tina Chin Fei's performance as big sister.

I always thought of Lo Wei as a hack director until I saw his Shaw Brothers action and swordplay films. DRAGON SWAMP (1968), ANGEL WITH THE IRON FISTS (1966; Bond-style spy thriller), DEATH VALLEY (1968), VENGEANCE OF A SNOW GIRL (1970). That is if you like older films as opposed to later productions.

Chinatown Kid

Bruce Lee sure didn't think much of him. After reading about how he tried to force Jackie Chan to keep making films for him by using his Triad connections and dirty tricks I don't think much of him either as a person. I'm not saying he didn't direct some good films like the ones you mention though venoms5. I heard he tried to take credit for the success of The Big Boss and Fist of Fury but Bruce Lee was what made those successful, not Lo Wei.

ironfistedmonk

Kung Fu Kid is a great film, Chan Wai Man is in his element here, the guy is a basher legend IMO. Always seems more at home in Triad movies like this one than in the period movies which is understandable with him being a self confessed Triad and all

Lo also directed the very abysmal SLAUGHTER IN SAN FRANCISCO (YELLOW FACED TIGER/KARATE COP) under the alias "William Lowe" with Chuck Norris, Wang Tao, and Sylvia Chang.

Chinatown Kid

That film is where Chuck, playing the Mafia Boss of Frisco, utters the immortal line in a dubbed voice: "I only know two kinds of people, those who obey me and those who die." LOL. I did kinda like the end fight between Norris and Wong Tao, Chuck gets to show off his wicked spinning hook and spinning back kick in that fight even though the movie is really cheesy. The fight between Wong and Dan Ivan wasn't to bad either. This film and Way of the Dragon are the only two films where Chuck played the villain. I wrote a funny review of SISF a few years back at the old Kung Fu Fandom, wish I could find it now.

Yang Wu Liang

He did a few good uns with Cheng Pei Pei - Brothers 5, Shadow Whip and Raw Courage as well as Dragon Swamp which was the best. The Hurricane is a pretty decent Golden Harvest Swordplay as well.

He did a few good uns with Cheng Pei Pei - Brothers 5, Shadow Whip and Raw Courage as well as Dragon Swamp which was the best. The Hurricane is a pretty decent Golden Harvest Swordplay as well.

Yes, all his Shaw films including those you mention Yang Wu Liang are really good too. Never seen any of his swordplay films from GH at least none that I remember.

CK, wasn't SISF the one where Wong Tao said that he was blamed for the film bombing in the theaters? I never watched it all the way through myself.

gravedigger666

Was San Francisco where in the end Chuck was gotten hit by small garden shovel several times but he does not get any bruise?I do not remember much about it but have distant memory it was one Norris` better efforts.

gravedigger666
Shadow Whip

This movie is not bad but has 2 serious faults.Storyline takes on far too late,well mover 50% of time people just wander around and have fight and rarely given what was reason.And in the end villain is too alone against odds,end fight in this one is too lame.But from positive things have to say locations are very good,was nice to see snow in chinese movie.

Chinatown Kid
CK, wasn't SISF the one where Wong Tao said that he was blamed for the film bombing in the theatres? I never watched it all the way through myself.

I don't know venoms5, never had heard about Wong Tao saying that if he did. I know the film was shot on location in San Francisco in 1973 but not released until 1981 after Norris's subsequent popularity.

Guest Markgway

Kung Fu Kid is alright.

There's a subtitled VCD available from Joy Sales.

Lo Wei IS a hack, but hacks can make decent movies at times (or even, as in the case of Fist of Fury, pull a masterpiece out of the bag).

Chinatown Kid
Was San Francisco where in the end Chuck was gotten hit by small garden shovel several times but he does not get any bruise?I do not remember much about it but have distant memory it was one Norris` better efforts.

Yes, that's the film!

We're all in agreement (I believe :)): Lo Wei is a hack, but a good one. I think you'll find many directors of that era are just as bad.

Many of the JC flicks are underrated and I loved 'Spiritual Kung Fu' (the ghost thing was surprisingly pretty funny and amusing). I actually found myself agreeing with him on two things: 'Half A Loaf Of Kung Fu' was allegedly labelled "trash" by him and vaulted (I didn't like it and thought it was crappy too), whereas a project he did like and others didn't (like 'Spiritual Kung Fu'), I actually liked! Whilst trying to avoid being biased with 'commercial' value, the fast-paced action and good basic stories with twists are usually dismissed by most.

There are a few things that most don't like about him, including his triad connections to bully JC and pathetically cashing in on 'Fist Of Fury' with a sequel. Kind of another issue, but I somewhat disliked 'Fist Of Fury' (too much tomfoolery that mixes with the respected 'historic' figure).

Despite some sloppy choreography and on-screen tripe, I thought 'The Big Boss' was the only proper 'normal' film of Bruce's and displayed appropriate acting and good values (maybe it was the violence that did that). Namely the character of Cheng, who's urge to get revenge was just a bit more special somehow. All the others were just Martial fests with philosophical touches (not that it's usually a bad thing!).

I think Lo (whilst trying to ignore his largely ridiculous Chinese vs Japanese themed movies) was a good filmmaker when he wanted to be and pushed for more in comparison with other studios trying to make a quick buck. Going by what killer meteor said to me (I think): The Shaws in one film used human 'Wooden' men, whereas Lo made the effort to actually get live 'puppets' for 'Shaolin Wooden Men'. He even went out to make the first 3D (HK at least) film - something that I'm curious to see! He may have been something close to lousy on-set, but he's managed to get good results and I feel he deserves a revaluation by those who submit biased criticisms based on one or two poorly-made movies.

I'd be interested in seeing more of his movies, anyone recommend me one (maybe from the Shaw period)?

After seeing a few of the much maligned Jackie Chan/Lo Wei films, I can't say I understand why they're so hated. How is Lo Wei a hack & Chang Cheh a genius?

You could try DRAGON SWAMP.

(Oddly enough it's on my T/S list...) ;)

I wonder why:p. I think you tend to watch stuff then rid of it ;).

After seeing a few of the much maligned Jackie Chan/Lo Wei films, I can't say I understand why they're so hated. How is Lo Wei a hack & Chang Cheh a genius?

Agreed. Seems to be a cliche:rolleyes:...

I saw 'Seaman No 7' recently and the brawls were kinda interesting (particularly at the end), but it's somewhat dull overall.

I think both are not up to their reputation. Lo Wei is imo a rather competent director, movies like BROTHERS FIVE or SHADOW WHIP are very well made, and even most of his Jackie Chan-productions are quite entertaining. Interestingly enough, the worst of these movies is Jackie´s favorite amongst them, HALF A LOAF OF KUNG FU. I think Lo Wei also deserves kudos for hiring a prolific wuxia-novel author lik Gu Long for writing the scripts of three productions. Imho most people who hate Lo Wei are just pissed about the fact, that his collaborations with Jackie are no typicial Jackie Chan comedies.

Killer Meteor

I think Lo Wei is a better director technically that Chang Cheh. Cheh has more vision, and Lo Wei could do some real daft things (such as the infamous Boomerang knife in The Big Boss), but Lo was much better in the editing suite when it came to handling the action

Lo Wei was ok when tackling darker subject matter.

He could spot talent but never knew what to do with it.

He did apparently persuade Jackie Chan to have his Eyes and teeth fixed and gave him his stage name of Jacky Chan (later changed to Jackie because Robert Clouse told him that Jacky was the female way of spelling it..:D)

His connections with the triads are well known but then again there are probably many actors and directors with such connections we dont know about.

ALL REGION SHAW DVD'S ORIGINALS FROM ONLY $1.89!..CLICK HERE

Archived