The Cinema of Excess: Chang Cheh & His Films

venoms5

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember. A few days maybe? I did it some time back in '06. The reason I didn't post it earlier was I thought there probably wasn't much to add that hadn't already been discussed in the past. The remainder covers around 3 additional pages maybe a little more. I have a few other pieces similar to this one with one of them even longer and a couple shorter ones I haven't finished yet. Thanks for taking the time to read through it Bravery!

good read man. very informative

Thank you oldeschool, opinions and constructive criticism mean a lot. :)

I'd like to read the rest as well as anything else you would post.

And, thanks to you for taking the time to post it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Holy utility belt Batman!! that was the abridged version??:D

Good read, learned some new stuff!

I'd like to read the rest as well as anything else you would post.

And, thanks to you for taking the time to post it.

Yeah, I might do just that. I just need to go back and insert the segments I removed. Maybe I should highlight them in another color so you'd know what was put back in?

Thank YOU for taking the time to read it.:)

I've also got an unfinished piece on Sun Chung, too and have an outline for pieces on both Cheng Kang and Kuei Chi Hung. Need to get around to working on those.

Holy utility belt Batman!! that was the abridged version??:D

Good read, learned some new stuff!

thanks, TWC. The rest of the piece amounts to 3 pages or more. 3 pages at least.

Yeah man, I need to get together with you to fine tune some material on Bruce I have. You write very well, and your pieces are most informative. Keep it up.

:cool:

Yeah man, I need to get together with you to fine tune some material on Bruce I have. You write very well, and your pieces are most informative. Keep it up.

:cool:

Glad to help. Let me know. :)

Excellent article, very informative, well done.

Its a shame theres not an in depth documentary on the man apart from the short one found on some dvds.

HIGH DEFINITION BARGAINS...CLICK HERE!

Hey thanks, David. I'm going to put back in the sections I removed before. These sections will be highlighted. It's a bit more than I thought amounting to around 7 pages worth of extra material.

The added sections are in dark red and italicized. I see why I removed some of it. It kind of repeats a bit later on.

my man venom....you are ALWAYS good for a late night read while the lady blabs about here hairstyling job. eventually she goes away and i zone out again to more cool ass cinema

my man venom....you are ALWAYS good for a late night read while the lady blabs about here hairstyling job. eventually she goes away and i zone out again to more cool ass cinema

Thanks, Jujitsu. I got a massive Eurocrime article coming (split into multiple parts of course) along with a stack of Eurocrime movie reviews either tomorrow or the next day. I only have the one Maurizio Merli movie review on there so this should balance that genre out for a bit. I hope you will enjoy those.

Fang Shih-yu

Well done, venoms5! However, having watched Young People yesterday, I'd say the film was more of a comedy with light dramatic touches which remind me (in part) of the old American International Pictures movies with Frankie and Annette...except there's no beach here!:tongue:

Venoms5.... awesome!

"The Million Dollar Director"

How many directors were known as this? Wasn't that Lo Wei's nickname, too?

Looking forward to your other features on those directors you mentioned.

Well done, venoms5! However, having watched Young People yesterday, I'd say the film was more of a comedy with light dramatic touches which remind me (in part) of the old American International Pictures movies with Frankie and Annette...except there's no beach here!:tongue:

Those movies definitely deserve more exposure, or at least one viewing for there curiosity value. This piece here covers the entire series of 'Youth' films from the director, as well as one's he merely supervised, or produced.

http://www.coolasscinema.com/2010/04/cinema-of-excess-chang-cheh-his-films.html

Part 5 here....

http://www.coolasscinema.com/2010/04/cinema-of-excess-chang-cheh-his-films_28.html

Venoms5.... awesome!

How many directors were known as this? Wasn't that Lo Wei's nickname, too?

Looking forward to your other features on those directors you mentioned.

I was perusing some magazines for images for the site the other day and I think I ran across a caption (for RAW COURAGE, I think) where Wei is called that by the writer.

Fang Shih-yu
Those movies definitely deserve more exposure, or at least one viewing for there curiosity value. This piece here covers the entire series of 'Youth' films from the director, as well as one's he merely supervised, or produced.

http://www.coolasscinema.com/2010/04/cinema-of-excess-chang-cheh-his-films.html

Part 5 here....

http://www.coolasscinema.com/2010/04/cinema-of-excess-chang-cheh-his-films_28.html

Both links were great reads, and I now know of a few more titles of "modern" Cheh movies to check out, as well as the directorial efforts of Chiang and Lung!:yociexpress01: I had not realized King Eagle was Lung's first starring vehicle; compared to Chiang's [first solo movie] The Wandering Swordsman, Lung fared better, while Chiang's character was an existential "Peter Pan"!:khi5d:

Both links were great reads, and I now know of a few more titles of "modern" Cheh movies to check out, as well as the directorial efforts of Chiang and Lung!:yociexpress01: I had not realized King Eagle was Lung's first starring vehicle; compared to Chiang's [first solo movie] The Wandering Swordsman, Lung fared better, while Chiang's character was an existential "Peter Pan"!:khi5d:

DEAD END (1969) was Ti Lung's first star turn all to himself. KING EAGLE (1971) was his solo effort after he and David Chiang had already been featured onscreen together.

Fang Shih-yu
DEAD END (1969) was Ti Lung's first star turn all to himself. KING EAGLE (1971) was his solo effort after he and David Chiang had already been featured onscreen together.

Of course! I was mixed up because King Eagle is the first Ti Lung solo movie I've SEEN! Big difference!:tongue: I'll definitely check out Dead End as soon as it's manageable!

Of course! I was mixed up because King Eagle is the first Ti Lung solo movie I've SEEN! Big difference!:tongue: I'll definitely check out Dead End as soon as it's manageable!

DEAD END is quite a good movie and vastly different from what the director is more popularly known for. However, some of his cinematic themes are presented here, just from a different perspective in relation to his action pictures.

Archived