Is Kill! Any good?

Tantheman

I've heard a bit about this film and love the star Tatsuya Nakadai and director Kihachi Okamoto, especially the masterpiece Sword of Doom. I've seen it for a pretty high price and was wondering if it was worth shelling out for. What you guys think?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great. That whole Rebel Samurai Criterion boxset is pretty essential chambara/jidai geki. They are pricey though, so Netflix might the be way to go if you're just a casual fan and not a die hard collector

Kill is a Great movie, and I agree with Alex the whole Rebel Samurai Criterion boxset is a must have for and Samurai fan.

Kill is an excellent movie and a must have for any die hard fan. I had the chance of seeing this afew yrs ago on IFC and was completely blown away. It was around the time when Kill Bill first came out an IFC was showing three rare smaurai movies in one nite:

Three Outlaw Samurai

Samurai Spy

Kill

kungfusamurai

Great movie, on par with the samurai films of the mid 60s. More emphasis on the story and acting than on action, but that was pretty much how these films were construction during the 60s, with the exception of the zatoichi flicks.

KFS

Whoah, sounds like a resounding yes. I've heard tell its a lot more light hearted than the dark atmospherics of Sword of Doom, is that so? How's the action?

Great, great movie, but don't go in expecting Sword of Doom, it's more lighthearted with some pretty funny scenes in there, but it delivers in the action to, it makes this one unique, and this is one of Nakadai best acting performances and showcases just how versatile and great of an actor he was.

Mr Pollard did a great review of it on KFC, look it up:cool:

It's actually a parody on the whole genre, there are humorous nods to Sanjuro for example. But the comedy is dark, so it fits well with the overall fatalistic tone of a proper samurai flick

It instantly became one of my favorites after I picked up the Rebel box set. From what I've read about it, it is based on the same short story as the Kurosawa / Mifune film Sanjuro.

Archived