Close Encounter of the Vampire (1986) Yuen Woo-Ping

SlothStyleKungFu

SlothStyleKungFu

I'd like to think everyone has holes in their movie resumes. One of mine is "Close Encounters of a Vampire." Looked here and there for years, just never tracked a copy down.

If you've seen it, tell me about it. What am I missing?

Mr. Vampire

Weeeeelllllllllll... Not much.

It's an interesting film in that it's a Yuen clan production but sticks out as not having the level of sheer craziness that some of their other films do. I had been hoping that it would be like Mr. Vampire crossed with Shaolin Drunkard, but nooooooo.

I looked for this one for quite a while, and I have two versions from trading: one is a VHS dub of the laserdisc rip, 1.78 WS but no subs, and then Linn sent me a copy of the fullscreen w/ burnt in subs version a while back.

Watching Yuen Cheung Yan act as the stern, abusive drunk parent figure to a bunch of young children is kind of strange.

Oh, and there's a "Cute Vampire Kid" too...

theportlykicker

Is this the film with Donnie's sis in it? If it is, then her scenes alone might be worth watching- she's damn good!

I'm surprised she hasn't become a bigger star.

Morgoth Bauglir

If she is in it, I think she would be pretty young. I wouldn't mind reading a review of this movie. Looks interesting.

ShaOW!linDude
Here's a clip of Donnie's sister who has a supporting role in the movie.

9X37emr4-jA

What's the year on this?

How many sisters does he have? (One of them, Chris, is in "The Adventure of Johnny Tao".)

Guest Markgway
What's the year on this?

It's Chris Yen that it's in the film. She was in her early-mid teens at the time. Didn't work again for almost 20 years.

ShaOW!linDude

Thanks, Markgway.

As always, my acute Shaolin trained senses failed to detect the wording in the lower right-hand corner of the clip which states: chris.donnieyen.org.:tongue:

What's the year on this?

How many sisters does he have? (One of them, Chris, is in "The Adventure of Johnny Tao".)

Yes, Chris or Yen Chi-Ching, is the only sister of Donnie's.

Easily the greatest stain on the career of all members of the Yuen Clan, as actors, screen fighters, choreographers, and directors. It is outright astonishing to consider that the same people who gave us the endlessly-imaginative Shaolin Drunkard and its brethren. This is a cheap rip-off of the first two Mr. Vampire films, but with little action, no imagination, a sorry excuse for a story, and absolutely no point whatsoever. Where's all the imaginative magic spells? And acrobatically-creative ghostbusting techniques? Somewhere else, it would seem. It's a complete travesty.

Yuen Shun-Yee plays a Taoist priest. Yuen Cheung-Yan plays a washed-up Peking Opera performer who raises a bunch of orphans, including Chris Yen (Donnie's kid sister). Leung Kar-Yan plays a well-meaning, but clumsy ghostbuster who wanders into town, convinced that there's a vampire on the loose. Every time he's about to catch it or stop it, something happens and he fails, making him look like an idiot in front of the locals. The vampire also has a son who falls in with the orphans and ultimately befriends them. The three adult stars eventually team up to fight the vampire. And, @masterofoneinchpunch, like Bury Me High and Scars of Dracula, this is another example in which a random bolt of lightning saves the day.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
23 hours ago, DrNgor said:

.. And, @masterofoneinchpunch, like Bury Me High and Scars of Dracula, this is another example in which a random bolt of lightning saves the day.

OK, now I'm completely curious about this film.  YouTube has the release with Japanese subs (doesn't help me).  Is there a DVD release of this?  Nice that we have another thunderbolt from God in a film.  Thanks for the mention.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

Is there a DVD release of this?  Nice that we have another thunderbolt from God in a film.  Thanks for the mention.

It's on the Video Asia Martial Arts Essentials vol. 4 (Yuen Woo-Ping, part 2) collection, but the print is awful.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
6 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

It's on the Video Asia Martial Arts Essentials vol. 4 (Yuen Woo-Ping, part 2) collection, but the print is awful.

OK I might have that.  I will check tonight.

• Like 1