Duel of Fists / 拳擊 (1971)

Tosh

Oh yeah! I've been eagerly awaiting to see this film for years, an oldschool Shaw film dealing with Muay Thai, first I'm always excited when a Shaw film takes it off the lot for a change, I wonder if this wasn't meant to be some extended vacation for everyone.

I have to give a big up to Shaws, Chang Cheh and especially LKL and Tong Gaai for bringing Mauy Thai to the big screen in '71 and staying faithful to the art, the ring scenes are brutal! Ti Lung easily looks the best, you can tell these guys took a crash course and does it pay off. It was also a big plus they put it in the middle of the Songkran festival, the Thai scenery looks excellent.

I love the modern Shaws and this ranks up there with the Delinquent(and Chinatown Kid) made a few years later, I always thought it looked like Wong Chung was using some Muay Thai in the fight scenes in the Delinquent, meant to look like street brawling as he throws a lot of elbows and knees, seems they carried over some training and action choreo from Duel of Fists.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this one but I think I prefer the sequel a bit better. The Thai scenery is quite nice in DUEL OF FISTS, though.

Good call Tosh! I always liked when they got away from the Shaw lot and did some location shooting. The working title for this flick was called "The Striking Fist" and shooting wrapped up in mid-July 1971 (released October).

Now you mentioned 'extended vacation' and well that just might have been the case!

Back in March of '71, Chang & wife, LKL & wife, Tong Gai & wife, plus Ti Lung and David Chiang took trips to both the Philippines and Thailand. Don't know if CC was scouting locations during his visit to Bangkok. It was either that or perhaps he was just moved by what he saw and it turned into a working vacation.

Here's some photogs from that journey shown in Southern Screen (4/71).

thai71a.jpg

thai71b.jpg

thai71c.jpg

As always, props to Carol....

I enjoyed The Angry Guest, but I still haven't seen Duel of Fists yet---it's in a large pile of my unwatched Shaws. I'll have to give that a spin soon. Thanks for the cool pictures, teako!

I will say this. I love Duel of Fists, but I had to always laugh at some of the clothes David Chiang wore. I know it was the fashion for that era, but it just looked silly at times. Other than that, good action.

Tosh, I haven't seen Duel of Fists, so I can't say exactly how much The Angry Guest continues the same story, but yes, I believe it is officially a sequel to Duel of Fists.

I will say this. I love Duel of Fists, but I had to always laugh at some of the clothes David Chiang wore. I know it was the fashion for that era, but it just looked silly at times. Other than that, good action.

Come on Albert, you know you want that black and white polkadotted shirt with matching scarf David Chiang was wearing:p

Thanks Kyfi, I'll have to check out Angry Guest I haven't seen this one.

It is a sequel to DUEL OF FISTS. Chang Cheh also plays the Japanese villain. Kurata is also on hand as well.

Come on Albert, you know you want that black and white polkadotted shirt with matching scarf David Chiang was wearing:p

Maybe the hat Tosh, but that shirt??? No way!!! LOL :P

Maybe the hat Tosh, but that shirt??? No way!!! LOL :P

While both these films hold their own (as far as storyline goes), it's good to see the pair.

TAG though is a must - IF ONLY - to see Chang Cheh interact with his talent on screen.

Yasuaki Kurata is also a plus and I believe....

there's some location shots in Japan as well (if memory serves correct).

Personally, I never cared for the finished title.

The Angry Guest??

Nahh... he's just plain ol' ANNOYED!

aguest.jpg

props to Carol...

Ahhhhhh, I see, it's all coming together now, for some reason I thought Chang Cheh was the villian in Duel of Fists, and Angry Guest has Kurata?:eek: Damn now this is top on the list.

I love this movie. David Chiang is cool and looks like he stole some of Bruce Lee's wardrobe for this flick.:P Ti Lung is very good in this movie and looks as if though choreographed, some of the blows in the Thai Arena landed for real. I wouldn't be surprised if there were actual injuries during the filming. I like to view this along with The Big Boss, made roughly around the same time.

Ya i too have noticed this and if wasn't for david chiang's ass kicking skills i don't know what id say :D

chen lung

I like both films, but for some reason, I lean towards 'ER KE!!' (Angry Guest) as well ;).

Chang Cheh and WIFE??? lol... hmmm!

You're not hinting at what I think you're hinting at are you?

chen lung
You're not hinting at what I think you're hinting at are you?

I've no idea what he maybe hinting:D!

The Dragon

This is a very cool film. I discovered it in the early 90's, and purchased the VHS after renting it once. I love the remastered print, and it's a must-see/have.

Is there an english dub of this film out there? I love the dubs lately I already own the Celestial version but I would love to have an english version.

Seen this just a few days ago. Great movie. The CC/TL/DC trio never disappoints... Got to agree about D. Chiang and the clothes he wore - I think that only now do I truly understand the full meaning of the words "fashion victim"...;-) Kudos to the man for being so cool even in *that* outfit.

Lo Lieh: I've seen a DOF trailer dubbed into English - so I suppose there may be an Eng. version... Though I have no idea where to get it or how difficult or easy it is to get such copy... Sorry for not being of much help...:-)

Killer Meteor

Original dub too!

I'd like to see someone give this an anamorphic release in the US, not least cause the Siren was faulty

Got to agree about D. Chiang and the clothes he wore - I think that only now do I truly understand the full meaning of the words "fashion victim"...;-)

I believe those cloths were pretty styling back in the day:p, I find it funny most of the top dollar modern Interior design/art is recycled 70's design. So you never know what they'll bring back, they tried with the bellbottoms, what's next tight pants?

I myself dig some of that 70's stuff, If you can get past all the gaudy crap(what was up with some of those colors, I have nightmares of a puke yellow couch we had), but the art on the other hand was very innovative, I'm going to go order The Angry Guest now:D

Archived