New HK project for Yuen Woo-Ping (Iron Mask)

The Amazing Psycho Per

The Amazing Psycho Per

Apparently Yuen Woo Ping is undergoing a new project for a martial arts pictures in HK... Not much details is known apart from the fact that they're doing the casting and searching martial artists with mixed martial arts background... Maybe we can expect choreography along the lines of what Donnie Yen has done recently? We'll see.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chinatown Kid

If it's anything like the choreography in Flash Point I'll be pleased. It's always good news to hear that Yuen Woo Ping has another Martial Arts movie coming out, thanks!

TheGrimReaper

Nice news - Yuen Woo Ping have the know-how in order to prepare a great looking action packed film... Anticipation will grow :)

This appears to be Iron Monkey sequel with Andy Lau mentioned last year. They're going to start production in May or so. To be shot on location in Yunnan.

This appears to be Iron Monkey sequel with Andy Lau mentioned last year .

You mean, second "sequel" :D I don't think it even deserves the title of sequel.

They'll probably just call it Iron Mask for short - if they are using a more direct translation. But I'm not 100% certain if casting call and Iron Mask refer to the same projects, though given that the close time factor, they might jolly well be.

Yuen Woo Ping is the master in film choreography, number 1 in my book. To mention Donnie and Yuen in the same sentence, in this profession, is nothing short of insulting. Donnie has never looked better than any of the films Yuen has directed him in.:D

it's pointless comparing the two of them. Woo Ping has had a longer career in the field and Donnie just started to get recognized for it through his recent movies with Wilson Yip. Give him more to play with and he'll get up there.

Latest Update:

The much anticipated Yuen Wo Ping film Iron Mask/Iron Monkey sequel is slated to begin production in July. The budget is around 150m yuan and funding comes from Europe and Mainland. Yuen Woo Ping intends to create Iron Mask a Chinese version of Batman and introduce the film to Europe and US. The film will feature a fair amount of martial arts scenes and special effects.

However, what's not so promising is that Louis Koo and Shawn Yue are expected to play the lead roles. While good in their own right and thy have done some decent action scenes, neither is an actual martial artist. Even those approached prior to this were non-martial artists - Chow Yun Fat, Jay Chow, Andy Lau - though they didn't eventually take up this project.

Set in Republican period in the early 1900s, Louis Koo plays a police constable by day, but when night falls, he dons a mask (which could imply frequent doubling) and goes about relieving the rich of their coffers so as to relieve the poverty-stricken, and even teams up with his disciple Shawn Yue against a very powerful, devious merchant. Being fan of Batman, Louis Koo is very happy to accept this role.

The link to the above: http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/495-Non-Martial-Artists-to-Play-Title-Roles-in-Iron-Mask.html

It's a bit of a letdown to know that non martial artists are cast for the leads. But maybe they're wearing mask - even if the mask may or may not cover the whole face - when fighting, it might help with doubling. I just hope they cast real martial artists for their opponents.

PS - Please provide a link back to the news you post. Thanks.

I wish woo ping would direct another movie along the lines of tiger cage 2 or in the line of duty 4.

Louis Koo will do fine, he'll get double everytime he's iron mask. Hopefully whoever in the Wo Ping's stunt team doubling for Louis Koo would get some recognition.

Louis Koo will do fine, he'll get double everytime he's iron mask. Hopefully whoever in the Wo Ping's stunt team doubling for Louis Koo would get some recognition.

My guess is Tiger Chen will be Koo's double

Archived